JMB RetrofitsChris Nott
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By d3fy
  • 3 Post By sliced
  • 1 Post By mjr901
  • 1 Post By DriverN00B
  • 1 Post By Sayam

Thread: What effect would 1.2 litres of petrol have on a diesel engine?

Neutral

Status

What effect would 1.2 litres of petrol have on a diesel engine?

Right then gents,

Today, as I was filling my 2.0fsi up with petrol (don't worry about me!), some bloke enquired about what effect 1.2 litres of petrol would have on a diesel. He said he was filling his motor (a Vectra) up with juice but by the time he'd realised he'd got the wrong nozzle, he'd put 1.2 litres of petrol in it. He said the tank was pretty much empty and was contemplating just filling the rest of the tank up with diesel and carrying on regardless.

Would the petrol (approx 2% of the tank capacity) be so diluted by the diesel that it wouldn't matter, or would it wreck the engine?

I suggested that he phone the RAC or someone and ask. By the time I'd finished filling up and paid, he was sitting in his car with his phone to his ear.

So I'm just curious, would he have got away with it if he had just driven the car off?

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status

Re: What effect would 1.2 litres of petrol have on a diesel engine?

Thats such a small amount he should be fine if he filled the rest of the tank with deisel. I would just take it a little easier for the next tank of fuel.

Probably. My brother drives a diesel VW Polo and a few months ago had a mental block and filled his tank with unleaded petrol by mistake.

He phoned the AA and they said that, providing he had some diesel left in the tank when he filled up the petrol would sit on top of the diesel as it's much lighter. They suggested he drive home gently ( it was a Sunday) and in the morning get a garage to drain the tank and flush it out and refil it with the correct diesel and everything should be OK. It was and he had no further problems.

Putting diesel into a petrol car is more of a problem as it sinks to the bottom of the tank straight away.

As he had only put a small amont of petrol in he would not had to much of a problem, but it would have been a good idea to try and syphon the petrol off the top of the diesel at some stage.

Neutral

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Putting diesel into a petrol car is more of a problem as it sinks to the bottom of the tank straight away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Top knowledge - I didn't know that!

Thanks.

(I could make a joke about diesel being heavier than petrol .... but I won't!)

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]

4th Gear

Status

LOL

"I could make a joke about diesel being heavier than petrol .... but I won't!" - that's Yak's job!

1st Gear

Status

Wouldn't worry mate - in Germany we used to put some petrol in diesel cars to stop the tanks freezing in winter.

Status

Yer mercedes used to recommend putting petrol in with the diesel in cold weather years ago.

J.

Who said Diesel was thicker !

But there again Petrol is a bit lighter on top!

(With apologizes to Yak!)

1st Gear

Status

Put couple o' squids of BP unleaded (with light blue nozzle colour) into A4 tdi - on empty tank. Filled rest of tank with 50 of diesel. Drove home no probs - phoned RAC - they said don't worry. Phoned Audi - they said "it will invalidate your warranty - have the car transported in immediately". Even a tiny amount of petrol will dilute the engine lubricants that are vital to high pressure Diesel systems.

It was common practice in old fashioned Diesel engines to dilute the fuel with petrol in the winter - some lorry drivers used to light a fire beneath the fuel tanks to "thin" the fuel. But modern direct injection systems are not the same.

Phoned RAC who obliged with low-loader. Service manager told me that BP had recently appeared on Watchdog - 'cos "lots of people had put light blue nozzle in Diesel tank" - (Light blue is Esso Diesel 2000 colour I think)...Phoned BP customer services - they refunded 150 (Audi dealer labour charge) for draining tank plus 50 worth of Diesel. Moral? RTFM maybe - or at least the pump...

Status

Do you really need to read the manual to know that you should put diesel in a diesel car and petrol in a petrol car...

Do you have little notes on all the knives in your house "Do not stick into leg" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

5th Gear

Status

I have not had a oil burning in 5 years but for some reason I always double check the nozzle before it goes in, always.
    Andy Crooks likes this.

Status

I went to fill the wifes car up sunday night and had to check three times before I pulled the trigger!

1st Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]

Do you have little notes on all the knives in your house "Do not stick into leg" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Man goes to the doctor with knife & fork marks on his forehead - doctor says "you're not eating properly" (apologies)...

Colour coding can be confusing - Diesel usually black - but often yellow - Esso light blue, BP navy blue etc. We're all human - easily done if you're tired stressed etc...BP accepted their responsibility for creating confusion and paid up...

Reverse Gear

Status
    iv just put a tenners worth of petrol in my a3 diesel and toped up with 58quids worth of diesel and drove home do you think things will be ok

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by alan braine View Post
    iv just put a tenners worth of petrol in my a3 diesel and toped up with 58quids worth of diesel and drove home do you think things will be ok
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by alan braine View Post
    I used to work for a petrol station, happens all of the time,

It won't even notice mate at those ratios.

Just fill again at 3/4 and 1/2 to be sure it dilutes.
    alan braine likes this.
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

1st Gear

Status
    From the sounds of the thread, the diesel will have sunk to the bottom and the petrol will be at top. So when your tank runs low, it could cause issues as a tenner is quite a bit if it hasn't just diluted and mixed. Personally I'd get it drained from a garage.
    alan braine likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mjr901 View Post
    I used to work for a petrol station, happens all of the time,

It won't even notice mate at those ratios.

Just fill again at 3/4 and 1/2 to be sure it dilutes.
    That'll do the trick, refilling and making sure it does mix! Good little trick thanks.

Reverse Gear

Status
    thanks for the advice fingers x and i will just keep toppin it up will keep yea posted

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Andy Crooks On Twitter Add Andy Crooks on Facebook
    A small amount of petrol can go into diesel but diesel can't go into a petrol
    S-line A3 1.2 TFSI brilliant black

2nd Gear

Status
    If it was my car I wouldn't worry at all with £10 petrol and tank full of diesel. I'd just drive it...
    Andy Crooks likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Diesels will run on pretty much anything liquid and burn-able. Petrol will dry out the seals in pumps but not at quantities said above

Fill up with derv and all will be fine (a tiny bit of mineral 2 stroke oil will help with lubrication too )
    54 8P2 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI BKD - Shark stage 1 - EGR delete - Dolphin Grey

1st Gear

Status
    I put over half a tank of unleaded in my tdi and it didn't make any difference , still ran ok .
    55 plate Audi A3 2.0 tdi 140 sportback

07 plate BMW M5 estate with lots of extra power.