Monster MotorsportBadger5
Results 1 to 27 of 27
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By R34nel
  • 1 Post By Revo Steve-W

Thread: can audi check if your car's been remapped???

  1. #1
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    104

    can audi check if your car's been remapped???

    Thinking about getting a remap but i have a audi uk warranty for a year and do not want to void it if they know my cars been mapped.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    595
    When I had my software update the tech asked me if my car was chipped as he would be unable to tell and if it was it could wreck the ecu with the update he said tuners are getting pretty clever now but I would think your car will link to audi's server while in for a service and they could tell

  4. #3
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    215
    Thinking of getting a REVO STS unit for this very reason...

  5. #4
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by whitex8p View Post
    Thinking about getting a remap but i have a audi uk warranty for a year and do not want to void it if they know my cars been mapped.
    can you get around it with that then?

  6. #5
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by whitex8p View Post
    can you get around it with that then?
    Cant say for definite as I believe the ecu does have a faciltiy to store readings but from what I can tell it wont save any previous maps and will only display the current map. I have been speaking to REVO head office re maping and adding a few extras and they said they will call back on Monday. I will ask their technical support when they do call as I would like a definitive answer as well.

  7. #6
    Dean_T's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    West Mids
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by whitex8p View Post
    Thinking about getting a remap but i have a audi uk warranty for a year and do not want to void it if they know my cars been mapped.
    You are in exactly the same position as me

    Just bought my S3 and its screaming for a map on it but I don't want to invalidate the warranty.

    Head says wait and heart says go 2+
    Dean.

  8. #7
    SPARTAN91's Avatar
    RED FIVE STANDING BY
    Zookeeper Champion

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    NORFOLK
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by whitex8p View Post
    can you get around it with that then?
    With my bluefin unit I am able to upload the original OEM map back to the ecu and then remap again afterwards.But not sure if there is a log keep someware of uploads and downloads
    58reg 2.0tdi 140(WAS) S-line Monza Silver withSUPERCHIP BLUEFIN
    S3 front grill/gloss fog light surrounds/rnse/gloss gunmetal wheels/EZ front spliter

  9. #8
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    104
    haha i think i am going to wait until i know more, as i think the ecu might store readings.

  10. #9
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by SPARTAN91 View Post
    With my bluefin unit I am able to upload the original OEM map back to the ecu and then remap again afterwards.
    Yeah that's the same with the REVO STS unit. I am going for the REVO unit as it has three setting for fully customised maps, stock map and Immobiliser map. You can switch between all of them when you want. One of the maps can be a "Valet Mode" map where the car wont rev to more than 3.5k and NO boost. Should stop any garage joy riders lol.


    White once you have more info and if you are thinking of REVO mapping your car let me know. Might be able to get a better discount for the both of us lol.

  11. #10
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    262
    it's called a revo sps and it won't put the oem map back on, it is a switch and literally switches values in the revo map, yes you can select stock mode etc but it's still the revo map but set to boost level 1 which is approx stock power, valet mode (3k revs, no boost) is setting 0.

    The sps unit can not restore the stock map or upload different maps it is merely a switch which allows fine tuning etc and anti theft mode
    warren_S5 likes this.
    Audi S3 : revo stage 2+

  12. #11
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by R34nel View Post
    it's called a revo sps and it won't put the oem map back on, it is a switch and literally switches values in the revo map, yes you can select stock mode etc but it's still the revo map but set to boost level 1 which is approx stock power, valet mode (3k revs, no boost) is setting 0.

    The sps unit can not restore the stock map or upload different maps it is merely a switch which allows fine tuning etc and anti theft mode
    Ahhh thanks for the info. Didnt realise it was like that. I just presumed the STS unit was more like the Shark unit.

  13. #12
    DJ-S3's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wakefield
    Posts
    683
    Also the anti theft mode, so incase the thief gets your keys they can start the car, but as soon as the try to engage a gear or rev the engine it reduces its revs until the engine stops. Pretty cool. I use it when I'm on my holiday.

  14. #13
    Dean_T's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    West Mids
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ-S3 View Post
    Also the anti theft mode, so incase the thief gets your keys they can start the car, but as soon as the try to engage a gear or rev the engine it reduces its revs until the engine stops. Pretty cool. I use it when I'm on my holiday.
    Is that with Revo software?

    Only reason I ask is I had Revo stage 1 on my Leon K1 and didnt know about this, I had the SPS unit but that was just geared up for valet / v power / normal petrol.
    Dean.

  15. #14
    TDI140's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,364
    They usually ask if any mods have been done but they usually recet ecu which wipes the map they did that to mine when it went for injector and wiring loom replacement so i had to get it mapped again but as it was my mate he didnt charge me
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 250.3bhp 336ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch BBS CH

  16. #15
    DJ-S3's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wakefield
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    Is that with Revo software?

    Only reason I ask is I had Revo stage 1 on my Leon K1 and didnt know about this, I had the SPS unit but that was just geared up for valet / v power / normal petrol.
    As far as I'm aware yes. It's the first time I've had the sps switch from revo. Other times I've just have the remap and not bothered with the switch.

    0-computer
    1-v power
    2-not as much boost
    3-stock
    4-valet mode
    5-anti theft on
    6-anti theft off
    9-software updates

    I think that's the order, but that's definitely the numbers and I know 0, 5, 6 and 9 are correct. The others could be the opposite way round.

  17. #16
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Not Disclosed
    Posts
    483
    Spoke to a dealer a little while back, their 'S' car service specialist said they don't mind too much from their point of view as long as the car's clearly looked after and it will only affect warranty if it causes a problem which clearly can't be attributed to anything else. Won't name names but I was really impressed by their attitude towards it.

  18. #17
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by batch View Post
    Spoke to a dealer a little while back, their 'S' car service specialist said they don't mind too much from their point of view as long as the car's clearly looked after and it will only affect warranty if it causes a problem which clearly can't be attributed to anything else. Won't name names but I was really impressed by their attitude towards it.
    I am in two minds what to do now, sure i will get a remap at some point lol just going to enjoy my s3 standard for a while.

  19. #18
    5th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cheshire/N Staffs
    Posts
    1,380
    Any tuner who claims that their remap is undetectable is lying.

    There are flash counters in most ECUs, and anyone who know what they are doing can load maps and compare with original, look at checksums etc.

    But many Audi dealers don't care, or will be sensible about it, or just reflash back to stock.

    S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG



  20. #19
    max69vk's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kingston upon Thames
    Posts
    745
    As above, there are 'flash counters' stored on the ECU, even if these aren't looked at the ECU logs date & time of the MAP + updated time. Looking at this will clearly indicate if something's been done & that's even before they start looking into things like boost pressure & fuelling measurements etc.
    TDI PD170 S-Line Sportback... 191.2bhp & 290lb/ft torque @ standard with an iffy turbo! No idea with the new one or Shark Stage 1 remap installed, DPF off Stage 1 ready to go, Suspension & wheels to be fitted... Still....

  21. #20
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    104
    I think i am going to leave it until my warranty runs out, I am really tempted tho still.

  22. #21
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Warrington, North West
    Posts
    986
    Quote Originally Posted by max69vk View Post
    As above, there are 'flash counters' stored on the ECU, even if these aren't looked at the ECU logs date & time of the MAP + updated time. Looking at this will clearly indicate if something's been done & that's even before they start looking into things like boost pressure & fuelling measurements etc.
    This has been discussed lots, I'd like to see proof of date and time logs. I'm under the impression as are many others that it is only a counter and doesn't give such details of exactly when it was done, a car is flashed a few times before leaving factory so will have lots of "counters" on it already as standard

  23. #22
    max69vk's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kingston upon Thames
    Posts
    745
    If I was anywhere near my car I'd happily upload a screenshot, alas for me I'm off to sunnier climes for a while. When I get back I'll upload a screenshot of the info from VCDS as it clearly shows the MAP info (I.e. not Audi code/identity) with dates of the upload and the file date.
    TDI PD170 S-Line Sportback... 191.2bhp & 290lb/ft torque @ standard with an iffy turbo! No idea with the new one or Shark Stage 1 remap installed, DPF off Stage 1 ready to go, Suspension & wheels to be fitted... Still....

  24. #23
    Brodster's Avatar
    Shark Performance In Scotland

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    3,406

    My Social Networking

    Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    Guys my 2012 S3 is remapped stage 2 and the garage know it but I always upload the original map just to keep them sweet. As said before while it may not be physically apparent it is relatively easy to find out by comparing the contents of the ECU with a standard one, by verifying the checksum (a value calculated against the contents of the ECU), and by taking the vehicle for a test drive and taking some logs of the data provided by the ECU. Remapping is NOT undetectable.

    Many dealerships are aware of remaps and are not scared of them, some even offer them! It is important to note that a manufacturer cannot refuse a warranty claim on your car because it is remapped, they would have to prove that any failure was directly caused or affected by the remap. This is always a grey area and some people prefer the "head in the sand" approach where other people are more up front with their dealers. Remember that a dealer wants your business, so perhaps find a more understanding dealer or use an independent specialist if you are experiencing problems.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/DTUK/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/TPI/VCDS/V-Maxx/Vossen/Wagner

  25. #24
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,168
    My S3 has been remapped with Bluefin since about 750 miles and I've had no issues with the dealers.

    When in for any work I have removed the map to make sure it doesn't get overwritten if an update is released. It did get an update at one point but I was able to reapply the Bluefin map as normal.

    Also, I had my clutch and DMF changed under warranty when they knew the car was remapped. I had to write to Audi UK to get it authorised but they still did it.
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

  26. #25
    Artimus's Avatar
    Short Back

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hertfordshire
    Posts
    1,870
    Reverting to the stock Audi map is one of the main reasons I bought a Bluefin too! I still have an Audi warranty to look after and didn't want to be back\forth to get the car mapped again after any future factory software update. Another reason was because the Bluefin is a relatively mild map in comparison to some others & is therefore less likely to stress components to\beyond breaking point.
    ................................................
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

  27. #26
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodster View Post
    Guys my 2012 S3 is remapped stage 2 and the garage know it but I always upload the original map just to keep them sweet. As said before while it may not be physically apparent it is relatively easy to find out by comparing the contents of the ECU with a standard one, by verifying the checksum (a value calculated against the contents of the ECU), and by taking the vehicle for a test drive and taking some logs of the data provided by the ECU. Remapping is NOT undetectable.

    Many dealerships are aware of remaps and are not scared of them, some even offer them! It is important to note that a manufacturer cannot refuse a warranty claim on your car because it is remapped, they would have to prove that any failure was directly caused or affected by the remap. This is always a grey area and some people prefer the "head in the sand" approach where other people are more up front with their dealers. Remember that a dealer wants your business, so perhaps find a more understanding dealer or use an independent specialist if you are experiencing problems.
    You are quite lucky then, knowing my luck they wouldn't repair it. I will probably go for a bluefin then when i get bored of the standard power.

  28. #27
    Revo Steve-W's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Daventry, Northampton
    Posts
    206

    My Social Networking

    Add Revo Steve-W on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by whitex8p View Post
    I think i am going to leave it until my warranty runs out, I am really tempted tho still.
    20% Sale on at the moment and should the REVO map be overwritten by the dealer, then we do not recharge for the software, as long as you keep your receipt. Please feel free to call the office to discuss further or for any technical questions - 01327 301 901
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JJ.Foulds likes this.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. How can I check the work that has been done on a4
    By Dids44 in forum Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B7 Chassis)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 14th July 2012, 10:29
  2. What checks can you do to see if your car has been clocked.
    By paul_r in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14th April 2011, 17:48
  3. Can Audi tell me what work has been carried out under warranty?
    By Cyrix in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 1st November 2010, 15:19
  4. Any way of telling if your car has been remapped?
    By colicabcadam in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12th August 2010, 17:35
  5. Can you tell if your S3 has been chipped ?
    By Jasdent in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 22nd May 2007, 17:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO