Spark plug gap

Suzy84

Reaction score
Hi I have a Audi a3 1.8 tfsi s line and just brought some ngk platinum spark plugs and I was just wondering what gap they should be set at???

What ever they come out the box, so long as they aren't visually damaged or there aren't any plugs with visibly bigger gaps than others. You only need to mess with plug gaps on fairly modded motors.

I wondered this when I did my plugs apparently its a bit old Skool to talk about plug gaps these days
not had much petrol cars and don't normally keep a car long enough for plugs
however I have been told they are pre gapped throw away your gauges then.

Don't get me wrong, there has been some testing done regarding altering plug gaps on engines that have been extensively tuned/modded. But on a standard engine you won't notice any difference so isn't worth doing in my opinion.

I wondered this when I did my plugs apparently its a bit old Skool to talk about plug gaps these days
not had much petrol cars and don't normally keep a car long enough for plugs
however I have been told they are pre gapped throw away your gauges then.

Ure telling me, I got a gapping tool and feeler guage and popped the new plugs out of the box ... wtf ... pre gapped.

Ure telling me, I got a gapping tool and feeler guage and popped the new plugs out of the box ... wtf ... pre gapped.

Yup that's what the master tech said when I got my update done as he asked about the condition of the plugs I had just done them and asked if the gap was pre set they were genuine plugs.