VCDS Walkthrough to changing service intervals?

chris.vincent3

Own a BMW now, HOWEVER I still own VCDS!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi, having trouble with resetting the service intervals on my 57 A3 2.0 TDI, serviced it today and turned the ignition and it is telling me another service is due in 22 days/6,300 miles. The miles I'm not too fussed about, but 22 days... I don't want to have to reset it every 22 days.

Had a search and tried all the mentioned methods but still stays the same.

Use the sri reset function, the drop down menu of available options is very self explanitary.

Tried that and tried fixed service and flexible service and even coded the miles/days manually and still no joy.

Do you have a genuine cable? its worked every time for me, although there was a guide i think on rosstechs web page to do it manually.

Yeah it's a genuine cable. Must be doing something wrong. Ill try again this afternoon.

Tried that and tried fixed service and flexible service and even coded the miles/days manually and still no joy.

Did this myself last week. Seems to be trial and error I'm afraid.

Do an error scan as well. First time I coded it the supposedly correct way I created a fault. Took different combinations of the interval reset to clear the fault and also get the right info into the service display.

are you doing it manually in the engine and measuring blocks? I always use the SRI reset application at vcds start screen

There does seem to be some issues with some newer 08 etc cars with sri feature, best to search the forum for the manual process, this works fine.

have u tried the normal reset via the button on the dials? the other thing is u may need to enter the values into what i think is the 3rd column which has "--" if i remember right. e.g it may say 6,700 miles, u have to change it to 12,000. if it says 22 days, change it to 365 days

The auto SIR doesn't work for me either on my 57 TDI 170, not for "service due" warning anyway. I end up going through all the service indicator settings manually in the instruments(?) module.

Starting to frustrate me now, after using VCDS a bit more today the service light decided to come on constantly now, so went to the old fashioned way of the process of the knobs in the dash, that doesn't work either, a few processes that I've found and the previous process that I used last time I serviced it doesn't work.

Went through the service life on the DIS and the values are correct on the DIS, its just the reminder that comes up upon ignition.

Whole point of a service bong is to annoy you into getting it serviced, now it is serviced it is still bonging at me..!

Here are my values.. Can anyone see anything obvious that is wrong?

Last edited:
Can't remember which one takes it off but go through them all resetting them even if they're on the correct setting. Isn't there another one further away from the main bunch of service settings? (Still within that module).

At a guess it could be the Day Counter? Or is that how old the car is!

Can't remember which one takes it off but go through them all resetting them even if they're on the correct setting. Isn't there another one further away from the main bunch of service settings? (Still within that module).

At a guess it could be the Day Counter? Or is that how old the car is!

Its channel 02, set value to 0 to turn SRI off and 1 to set it on. I've tried setting it to 1 and then back to 0 and that didn't work.

As for day counter, that is correct the age of the car.

After trying numerous methods of resetting the light, I tried VCDS again and clicked the "Reset service light (Canada Only) and hey presto, it's got rid of the light and the service interval next is what I wanted it to be too.

Has this been reported to Ross Tech do you know NHN?