Best tyers for 2.0 FSI...... Some pointers plz!!!

I

imported_tobycruse

Hello all,

It has come to that wonderful time again to change tyers on my car. All 4 tyers are going to be replaced, what would be a good set to go for. Are P Zeros good?? What else should i look at?

Also, the tyers i have at the moment are 225/45, if i changed them to 225/35 what would happen? Would it be ok???

Regular thread, this one!

Personally would vouch for Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s.. having previously tried the OEM continentals, and Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s.. (Contis were fair but uninspiring, Michelin atrocious wear rate, and expensive without really offering much to justify either!)

Goodyears are cheaper than all of them, quieter than all of them, and are giving the best drive so far...

Havent tried the P zeros, though some like them..

cant comment on the size change you mention, I dont know enough about the impact that may have

Come on chaps, lets get the usual rounds of recommendations up!

I'd agree with you on the GSD3s, but the Michelins I had on my PD150 Golf lasted 33k miles before I changed them (they would have lasted at least another 5k miles).

So my experience with wear rate on the Michelins is excellent, good grip in the dry, pretty good in the wet (but not as good as the GSD3s).

I won't have Continental tyres on my cars after awful experiences with BMW 5 series (awful grip in all weathers and lousy wear rate).

Apart from 225/35's looking ridiculous unless you are going for 19" wheels, they would reduce the rolling radius by about 10% so your gearing would be screwed and your speedo even further out. Plus every 100 miles you'd be clocking up 110 miles on the speedo.

[ QUOTE ]
Apart from 225/35's looking ridiculous unless you are going for 19" wheels, they would reduce the rolling radius by about 10% so your gearing would be screwed and your speedo even further out. Plus every 100 miles you'd be clocking up 110 miles on the speedo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even a minor pothole in the road will trash a very expensive alloy - a tyre with an aspect ratio of 35 has almost no sidewall to protect the rim - don't do it.

I would recommend the Pilot Sports as well. My A3 had Pilot Sports on it when I got it at 6000 miles, with one PZero on the front right wheel. I reckon this must have been a puncture replacement at some point so I guessing its the newest one on the car.

Anyway, I've got 21,500 miles on the clock now and its time to get 2 new fronts. This means the Pilot Sports were good for 21,500 but the PZero less, don't know by how much.

I'm probably going to get Pilot Sports on mine to get all 4 wheels back to being the same.

Check out http://www.blackcircles.com/ if you don't already know of them. I used them in the past and saved a packet.

I'm not a fan of the Pzero's had them on my car and couldn;t wait to get rid of them. I managed about 13K or so before they where illegal. I've replaced the fronts with a set of Goodyear F1's and it has transformed the handling. The turn in is so much better definately recomended.

I've run these tyres on my last god knows how many cars and have always found them to be a really good tyre, excellant wear rate, good in the wet, good in the dry, nice an quiet and very progressive.

J.

So would you recommend I change the front two to goodyears, keeping the pilot sports on the rear till they need changing?

Are yours also 225/40? I'm assuming thats the standard on the S-Lines. I guessing the 225/45s are on the 17"s

Mine has P Zero Rosso's on it, I will swap the front to rear soon (unless quattro's wear all four out together?) sooner they're gone the better, they howl/slide all over the place, but saying that they are easy to control when on the limit. Not sure what to go for then though. Iv'e had Goodyear F1's and Michelin Sport 2's on my other car, both seemed OK.

[ QUOTE ]
Mine has P Zero Rosso's on it, I will swap the front to rear soon (unless quattro's wear all four out together?) sooner they're gone the better, they howl/slide all over the place, but saying that they are easy to control when on the limit. Not sure what to go for then though. Iv'e had Goodyear F1's and Michelin Sport 2's on my other car, both seemed OK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine has P Zero Rossos too - it isn't just me then and you have 4 wheel drive too. Traction is a real issue - especially on the greasy roads we have right now.

Going to AMD a week tomorrow - so that should wear the blighters out a bit quicker /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

No there's a good idea! I'll be swapping my fronts for my rears this week/weekend. My front's (Rosso's) have been lossing grip big style since the crap weather has been coming.

Not that impressed but when they are ready I think I'll be getting some of these goodyear's they sound "just the job".

Goodyears for me too I think and Blackcircles are doing them for £135 a pop fully fitted.

The toyo's are a great tyre in the dry and not too bad in the wet when they are new but as soon as they get a few miles on them they are shocking!

Had them on my Gti 1.8T and on my MCS both only managed about 10K motorway miles and both of them had the same effect when part worn - useless, not too bad in the dry but in the wet they would snap and slide all over the place.

J.

So would the goodyears be a better choice then? I dont like the idea of clocking up a "few" miles and then all going wrong, what is a few miles??

Speaking from personal experience and I have only run then for about 22K miles on 2 seperate cares, both FWD, both kicking out decent power (the Gti was chipped to approx 220bhp and the MCS was 163Bhp) it was only a matter of 4-5K and they where half worn that I really noticed the drop in grip. As with all tyres they tramlined as the wore as well but they did it a lot quicker than even the Rosso's I had fitted (I hate the Rosso's!) The Rosso's where really when they got really worn, as in at the legal limit but the Toyo's where bad quite early on.

I know other people swear by them though although it could be down to the size of the car's I drove?

J.

Just ordered the goodyears..... Being fitted on Thursday, will let you know what there like. Will i notice a big difference as i have been driving on P6000 for a long time now and P-Zero's before that......

I parked beside an S6 Avant the other day.
I noticed it had 'Stunner' tyres on the back wheels. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif
I wish I'd taken a photo.

My front Continentals have plenty of tread left (Approx 9600 miles) but I've noticed they're 'tracking' and 'white-lining' quite bad now.

I'll probably chuck them long before they're illegal.

It'll be F1's for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

The garage i am having my tyers fitted at offer a tracking service.... The handeling on my car has seemed strange for the past couple of months, would it be a wise choice for the garage to do this service or should i take it to an Audi garage??? Tyers being fitted tomorrow!! Yay!!!

My tyres had the balancing weights stuck on the inside and I checked to make sure that was the intention when I first ordered the car.

Annoys me that so many manufacturers still use the old weights that they clip on the outer rim of the alloy next to the tyre. Not only do they show but they invariably damage the alloy too. Why do manaufacturers (including BMW) do this archaic practice? One thing Audi do get right from the start!

What are your experiences of this at new tyre depots when your tyres are fitted?

[ QUOTE ]
The garage i am having my tyers fitted at offer a tracking service.... The handeling on my car has seemed strange for the past couple of months, would it be a wise choice for the garage to do this service or should i take it to an Audi garage??? Tyers being fitted tomorrow!! Yay!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

So long as they have an up to date laser alignment tracking system you'll be fine. I use my local protyre for my tracking and they are brilliant, nice and cheap too (£23.50) plus they give you a print out with what it is at the start and what it is at the end (there is a tolerance)

You'll probably find that the car will drive so much nicer with the new tyres. Worn tyres have a big impact on the way a car drive - tramling etc.

J.

OKi doki, will ask them..... Thanks for your help guys!!! New tyers here i come!!!!

I would go for the F1's everytime, and prices are not too bad either. I found them stunning...

Just dropped my car off, garage in brighton, payless tyers, very helpful guy. Fitting the tyers, laser allinging the wheels and checking the tyer pressure and making sure its accurate. Nothing was too much trouble, im even getting before and after plots of the allingement! Hopefully should be ready to pick them up in about 30 mins, will give you the low down then!

[ QUOTE ]
My tyres had the balancing weights stuck on the inside and I checked to make sure that was the intention when I first ordered the car.

Annoys me that so many manufacturers still use the old weights that they clip on the outer rim of the alloy next to the tyre. Not only do they show but they invariably damage the alloy too. Why do manaufacturers (including BMW) do this archaic practice? One thing Audi do get right from the start!

What are your experiences of this at new tyre depots when your tyres are fitted?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been to three local tyre depots recently.
A Kwik-Fit,a High-Q and a local independent.
They all use the sticky weights that go on the inside.
I can't remember the last time I saw those weights that get hammered onto the rims.

Great, got my car back, tyers look great, everything feels great but its leaking oil..... Phoned Audi and a member of the service team is getting back to me! Any idea what a puddle of oil under the car means??

My neighbour has a 120d - weights hammered on the rims at the factory!

Now there's class for you.

Outrageous if you ask me.

Just like to say a big thank you for all the advice you guys gave me. I have the tyers now and the grip they give is amazing and they havent even warn in yet! Goodyears F1's all the way!!! Wheels are a bit dirty now, looking forward to getting them cleaned and glossed up, but anywho. Thank you!!