Loud Twang!

BradV6

Reaction score
Went over one of those mini speed bumps to get into the car park at work today and from the rear I heard a really loud twang, went through the whole car, it sounded like a coil spring but I can't see anything to check. Should I be worried?

Drives fine although I come to think of it I've heard the same sort of noise before but alot quieter and didn't think anything of it...

Could be the stone guards flapping.

I'll keep that in mind if it does it again i'll get it checked, thanks

Only fix is really to remove them anyway lol.

check your rear coil springs.

The 8L/TT/Golf were notorious for snapping coil springs.
Sometimes it does not show, until the car is jacked up, as the spring sits ontop of the broken coil.

I had one go on previous car while I was walking back to it. It sounded like a gun going off.
I had the rear pair changed , and they were both shot.

http://www.wak-tt.com/warnings/springs/springs.jpg A friend took this picture from a TT.

Yeh it was REALLY loud so perhaps il jack it up this weekend, maybe those little bumps finally got to it

i had this a while ago on mine i got out of the car and as i was walking away it made a twang noise so when i got home i checked the car out and it turned out to be nothing.

My mankini did this when I hit a speed bump on the way back from my favourite dogging spot.

Reactions: autolatry, martinivw and NHN
lmao, puts a humour spin on a rather shxtty wet day lol

Reactions: PaulAr
I wouldn't drive it until you have ruled out the snapped spring theory.
All it needs is to become dislodged and it goes through the tyre(this happened to my brother two months ago)
You are in the lap of the gods then.
Luckily he didn't panic and slam the brakes on, he just let it coast to a stop.
Better to be safe than sorry mate.

Highland-20130310-00159_zps0008a6e2.jpg

Last edited: