1.6TDI woes....

RapidAssistant

Reaction score
Not my own A3 that's the problem here (touch wood), but other half's '11 (61-plate) Golf VI using the 1.6 CR TDI engine that's the same used in the later A3 8P's and 8V Couldn't find an answer on the VW forums, but trying here instead.

Was driving along normally, suddenly red oil pressure symbol appeared in the DIS along with stop engine warning. Stopped as soon as I could. Whole back of the car covered in a film of oil so first thought was that the turbo had let go. No oil in the exhaust pipe, so turbo probably OK, but once it was on the tow truck could see the whole underside of the car was black with used engine oil.

Garage can't look at it until tomorrow, so for peace of mind wondering if anyone had any ideas - could be something as simple as the drain plug dropping out, but any other theories - burst oil filter, oil cooler etc? Whatever's wrong should be covered by warranty or the leasing company anyway - but would be nice to know.

Not my own A3 that's the problem here (touch wood), but other half's '11 (61-plate) Golf VI using the 1.6 CR TDI engine that's the same used in the later A3 8P's and 8V Couldn't find an answer on the VW forums, but trying here instead.

Was driving along normally, suddenly red oil pressure symbol appeared in the DIS along with stop engine warning. Stopped as soon as I could. Whole back of the car covered in a film of oil so first thought was that the turbo had let go. No oil in the exhaust pipe, so turbo probably OK, but once it was on the tow truck could see the whole underside of the car was black with used engine oil.

Garage can't look at it until tomorrow, so for peace of mind wondering if anyone had any ideas - could be something as simple as the drain plug dropping out, but any other theories - burst oil filter, oil cooler etc? Whatever's wrong should be covered by warranty or the leasing company anyway - but would be nice to know.

Sounds a bit odd as if something has smashed the sump or oil line for the turbo or your filter has come loose however it's really got to be an oil leak from the engine the lists endless reall its shouldn't be hard to spot hope the oil cap was secure.

well the rocker cover gasket was replaced under warranty when it went in for its first service about 6 months ago - with the way the engine is all faired in because its a BlueMotion I couldn't really see anything obvious. Even through its a company hack and we won't be footing the bill for the repairs, I'll still be pee'd off if its anything catastrophic as the car is barely 2 yrs old and only 24k on the clock. VAG quality lies again!

Sounds a bit odd as if something has smashed the sump or oil line for the turbo or your filter has come loose however it's really got to be an oil leak from the engine the lists endless reall its shouldn't be hard to spot hope the oil cap was secure.

As an update it turns out the sump plug dropped out right enough, dealer was rather nervous over the phone asking if we had any evidence of an oil leak before it happened (which we didn't - it happened suddenly). Sounds like they were looking for an excuse to get them out of trouble as they know full well they were the last people to touch the drain plug according to the service book. However, it now looks like a bottom end stripdown is on the cards to see if there is any serious damage and the turbo is possibly gone as well. Looks like someone has made a very expensive balls-up......

Was gonna say sump/ sump plug if theres no oil in exhaust