Why is the tax different amounts?

JD007F

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I hVe been looking around to buy an a3 and I've found a few all pretty muh the same 2.0 desiel stop start engine all 140 bhp but some class as the £30 tax a year and some are £105 could anyone help me out why this is?

Cheers james.

Mines 170 a year, lol I think it has something to do with some rules changing over the years as they all produce the same emissions

I thought it was to do with the emissions but still couldn't get why 3 a3 all 2011 plates 2.0 start stop engines with 140 2 were £30 a year and the one I'm looking to buy is £105 just thought it was weird as the are all the same etc.

Cheers

It's just a scam really but expenses have to get paid somehow .

paying more on tax isn't going to stop global warming

and start stop is a fudge...
It's probably due to a slight change in the tune mid year which has reduced the emissions on them, are they all the same CO2 output?

I believe the 2.0 TDI 140's also changed in 2010 from dual exhaust to single exhaust in an effort to cut emissions. My 10 plate (MY2010) has a single exhaust, but a 59 plate (MY2009) would have been dual.

I believe the 2.0 TDI 140's also changed in 2010 from dual exhaust to single exhaust in an effort to cut emissions. My 10 plate (MY2010) has a single exhaust, but a 59 plate (MY2009) would have been dual.

Stop Starts have a single exhaust, non-Stop Starts have a twin exhaust. At least that's what the guy at Audi told me.
AFAIK the number of tailpipes shouldn't have an effect as surely they're just cosmetic? I could be wrong though.

If it helps, mine is a 2010 (10 plate) 140 Stop Start and it's £30 a year. I was under the impression that all the Stop Starts were £30. I always saw it as compensation for losing a tailpipe.

Yeh it's a con really but oh we'll has to be paid like we said lol.

I've have checked up on the a3 I'm getting and it's deffo £105 a year but then again I've gone for 170 stop start lol. Thanks for the helps guys.

Cheers