Buying new suspension for A3 2.0t - strut clamp size?

kibwah

Reaction score
I'm soon to be buying a h&r touring kit for my 2007 a3 2.0t fwd. I need to know the strut clamp size of my car, 50mm or 55mm, so I can buy the appropriate kit. How can I find this out? Does the size depend on whether I have standard or sports suspension? And how do I find out what suspension I have seeing as I bought the car 2nd hand?

Thanks in advance!

You have 55mm front strut. Make sure you get the correct cup kit for your axle weight too as they have different variations for this too.
Ask the supplier.

I would also recommend the sport cup kit. Touring cup kit still leaves a large arch gap. I have the sport cup kit, pic below.
I don't have any issues with speed bumps or most driveways.

DSC08991_zpsc5f80a42.jpg

How do I find out the axle weights? The supplier said to check purchase papers but it only states the total weight of the car..

Thanks for your help :)

The supplier I'm looking at only has 1065kg front and 1030kg rear, does that sound right? :S

there should be a plate that shows it on the front of the right side strut tower behind the coolant tank.

I'm still having trouble finding the axle load. The plate behind the coolant tank has 4 numbers on it and they all say 0000kg! There are 2 options for the touring kit for 55mm struts, up to 1020kg or over 1021 kg...

Someone else will need to jump in here. One would assume its up to 1065kg for the 2.0T FSI. Over 1065 for the TDIs, but maybe the DSG with 2.0T is over and the 6 speed is under? The '+/- 1020' refers to the cabriolet only from what I can see.

I have the 1065+ version in my 2.0T DSG but I had all sorts of issues when I ordered so it may be incorrect but doesn't make much of a difference either according to H&R, just might affect the ride height very slightly. I also have '0000kg' on mine but was told that was abnormal?

Who are you buying from?

I'm buying from Orange Tuning, an eBay store based in Germany. I have been liasing with them to find the correct kit and they've said for my 2007 a3 2.0t 2wd DSG its either up to 1020kg or over 1021kg :/

I wouldnt buy from Orange Tuning in a million years. That is who I bought my kit from. They sent me the wrong kit (50mm front strut clamp) after I specifically requested the 55mm. Then when I emailed them about it they stopped replying to my emails, didnt answer their phones (tried from multiple numbers and through Skype) for over 6 weeks and it ended up costing me another 300GBP to buy replacement front dampers. There is quite a bit of bad feedback around on them. Here is my issue in detail: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...6338-warning-my-experience-orange-tuning.html

A better option would be BKS Tuning or locally, GNJ Motorsport. They know their stuff, provide fast friendly service and will be more than happy to assist you.

If you email H&R in Germany direct, they should also be able to advise on the correct part number for your vehicle.

Hmmm thanks for the heads up. I am kind of limited by budget however, and I'm also having difficulty finding retailers that ship to Australia without breaking my budget. I'm checking out BKS though ill see what they come up with. Thanks for your help so far! Much appreciated.