Hi and sorry about the dodgy title but I though it would get extra attention and I need help urgently. Also I mean the title literally.
I'm having clutch/flywheel problems with my 2007 8P S3 and my mechanic can't find anything wrong. I just had a new clutch, dual mass flywheel and release bearing installed and now I have these problems...
1. Droning noise when I decelerate through 2500rpm.
2. Occasional rattling noise from the gearbox when I let the clutch out.
3. Occasional knocking noise at idle and in neutral.
4. Clutch pedal shakes/judders and gear lever too.
5. Occasional power loss/surge.
6. Stiff gear changes in all gears and sometimes won't go in at all.
Anyway, back to my shaft...
I got my mechanic to take the gearbox out again because I said I wasn't happy. I was hoping to see something obviously wrong but there wasn't, except maybe... my input/clutch shaft splines.
Do the splines on the end of the input shaft have little ridges? It's like they are serrated all along the tops of the splines. Also I thought I could feel a slight mushrooming on the splines. The last 10mm of the shaft felt wider than the rest of the shaft. The other thing I noticed is that it had no grease on it, bone dry. Also there were streaks of grease coming out of the middle of the clutch hub/centre. Sorry I don't know the right words for the parts but I hope I'm making sense.
Is it possible there was no grease or too little grease or the wrong grease on the shaft?
Any help here would be greatly appreciated.