2.0 TDI engine management light

Davidko

Reaction score
Argh, had a slight problem today, maybe someone can shed some light on this. My recent purchase of my 2.0 TDI came with a supposedly great 'mechanical breakdown warranty' from a third party company but after reading reviews about them on the internet, they apparently are not that good and do not cover 'diagnostic work'. Today whilst I was driving the 'glow light'/engine management coil thing lit up on my screen (flashing) with a definite loss of turbo power (must have gone into limp mode I think). After driving for a couple of minutes more I stopped, turned the engine off for few secs and re-started with the same engine management light not flashing anymore and with a return to normal turbo power. I drove around for a while after that and all seems fine, but I'm worried that it could be something serious. Do you guys think it is worth pursuing in terms of calling them and asking them to take it to a garage to connect to a VCDS to hopefully diagnose if there was a problem, since the fault was hopefully recorded by the ECU or just waiting to see if it ever comes on again and then calling them?

Regards,

Dave

Have a look on the vcds map for someone local to you with vcds who be able to scan your car for you. :) x

Who's your warranty with? Mines an AA 5 star and I don't pay diagnostic fees if the claim is accepted.

I think it's with Auto Protect; the car is driving great at the moment but obviously since the engine management light isn't on anymore I'm worried that they will try to wriggle out of it on the basis that there is no current issue whereas I want to get a diagnostic test on it to find out why the light came on in the first place. What do you guys think?

Regards,

Dave

Yeah, look on the VCDS map see who's local to you and ask them scan your car, and get it emailed/printed off

Ok, thanks to both of you! I will probably ask either one of the good members on the VCDS map or use Europerformance in llantrisant to do a health check on it and connect it to their system. From what I've heard, they come highly recommended and are good at what they do. Everything is still running well but I'm sure that I must be developing OCD cause I still feel the need to get it checked.

Cheers,

Dave