Anyone got a lighter ?

Amchlolor

Reaction score
I seriously want to torch my car.
We had some pretty severe weather last night and I got stuck twice.
In over 20 years of driving all sorts of cars,I've never got stuck before and it is NOT funny with a 2 year old in the car.

The culprit/s ?
I would say 30% the tyres and 70% that friggin gearbox. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

There is simply no way of pulling off smoothly,or braking smoothly.

I tried all modes,and it was all the same.
Try to pull away,driveline shunt and wheelspin.
Try to stop,driveline shunt and ABS kicking in.

A clutch would make all the difference to snow driving.

As it is,the ****** thing is in the drive and I've got my wife's HRV. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Would be a problem i guess, the DSG is the first auto trans I have driven for some years that isn't equipped with a 'Winter' mode that ensures that you can pull away from rest in 3rd gear.

Serious white stuff up North, just cold down here in Berkshite

Manual mode was the best once you were actually moving,as you could short shift into higher gears.
However,the downchanges were a nightmare.
The 'blip' and resultant transmission shunt would have the car lurching and the wheels locking as the revs came down again.

Honestly,it's the first time I've ever actually been scared whilst driving in snow.

I had serious visions of having to abandon and walk through storms with my daughter.

It's the final straw.

I'm enquiring how much we'll be charged for cancelling the lease early.
I may pay it myself.

Bowfer,

Had a similar experience driving round a part-built wind farm in Ayrshire 2 weeks ago (i.e. steep semi-frozen mud forest tracks frequented by 65ton earth movers!)

Didn't have any problems, on a feather of throttle it moved off super smoothly, kept it in +/- to control the up shift, then even if it did spin a little it didn't change up when you backed off so you could control it with the throttle.

In fact I would struggle to consistently pull away that smoothly with a manual.

I'll say it again - is your gearbox a duff one?

EDIT - get your point about downshifts, but If you let it shift down on its own i.e. let the revs fall to low it doesn't 'blip' just a smooth change

I wonder how all the drivers in Austria, Switzerland, Southern German, Scandanavia etc mangage. Audi/VW sell a lot of DSGs in those markets and they have a lot more snow for a much longer time, even than Scotland.

I know drivers in most of those areas have 2 sets of wheels and tyres, one summer and one winter. Perhaps it's much more to do with the grip from the tyres.

[ QUOTE ]
I would say another excuse from bowfer to bash his Audi ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Bash it ?
It nearly got a damned good Basil Fawlty thrashing !

Well it would have kept your daughter amused at least /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Haven't had any snow here yet, so can't comment, and obviously 4wd will help, but I would agree that you just can't get the same degree of control with a DSG box that you would be able to with a manual. There must be a technique to get the best out of the DSG in those types of conditions, but a manual would give that feeling of being more in control of all aspects of the driveline, especially on the downshifts. Thankfully we don't get too much snow down here.

I know Bowfer occassionaly goes on a tad about the shortcomings of DSG, but personally I find it useful to hear of his opinions, even if they don't necessarily agree with mine. By definition we all are/were Audi fans when we decided to buy one, so the forum does tend to get a little biased. Hooray for not conforming /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT - get your point about downshifts, but If you let it shift down on its own i.e. let the revs fall to low it doesn't 'blip' just a smooth change

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah,you can do that,but that leaves you with little in the way of engine braking,and means you have to use the brakes to slow down.

My 'technique' for snow driving involves using a high gear to get going,but using a low gear (high revs and lots of engine braking) to slow down (thus avoiding the brakes as much as possible).

Bowfer, seriously, David has a good point about DSG's being sold in seriously snowy countries, (Spent a fair amount of time driving in Finland so know what the white stuff is like!)

I'd definately get yours checked out, mine has little or no driveline shunt and if I drive it after the missus has (And its reprogrammed itself not to hoon about everywhere like I do) it almost always pulls off in second, then shifts to third at about 15-20mph

of course, torching it would give an insurance pay out?!

[ QUOTE ]
I may pay it myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it gets us some peace and quiet we'll all chip in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Poor Bowfer - it isn't a happy relationship with his A3/DSG...

I do wonder if Audi have introduced engineering changes to the tranny - and some of us have the benefit - his seems like a pile of the unmentionable..

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I may pay it myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it gets us some peace and quiet we'll all chip in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome!!!!!