New to Audi - Addition Extras RNS-E and Cruise Control

ChrisS

Reaction score
Hi All

Firstly let me introduce myself as a new member to the forum and this being my first forum post. My name is Chris and I live just outside Carlisle, Cumbria and have recently purchased my first Audi, a 2.0 TDI Sport 2011 Ibis White with 9,000 miles. I must say I am mighty impressed with the car, most notably the looks of the car, build quality of the interior, economy in relation to mpg and overall driving experience, to name but a few.

Ever since purchasing the car I have been reading this forum with much interest, and have most certainly learnt a lot! Through reading it is has become clear the vast knowledge base in relation to all things Audi!

As far as I am aware the only optional extra fitted to the car by Audi was a Bluetooth kit with no cradle etc just control via the MFS, the rest of the car is completely standard equipment.

The purpose of this post is to get people's opinions on two items that I would like fitted to the car and whether people think it will be money well spent. The first item would be a RNS-E headunit and the second being Cruise Control.

Through reading about the sat-nav facility it appears there is an issue with searching full UK post codes, in practice is this really such a big issue? And also would the use of cruise control have a detrimental impact on the mpg?

I have tried to attach a picture and will post more in due course.

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 272
Welcome to the site Chris.

I can offer to supply/fit these systems mentioned, I'll ping you a PM :)

Hi Chris, welcome to audi-sport.net. Have a read over in the A3 8p section, lots of info in the faqs threads. For local meets, click the link in my signature. If you need retrofit work on your car we have site sponsors who supply/fit/travel. Enjoy the forum. :) x

Hi Chris, welcome. I've never found the post-code to be a problem and very rarely use my cruise control.

Each to his own! :icon_thumright:

If its a Sport its got a few Extra's. I have just gotten a base model. Aircon, iPod Dock and Aux-in seem to be the only "Options".

I came from a 2001 MkIV Comfortline Golf. So the Lack of Interior Light Pack, Cruise Control, Armrest and a Decent Cup Holder are slowly killing my soul...

Welcome to the site.
For cruise control depends if you driving is at a steady pace, I fitted this to my car and would never have a car with out it now!
so much easier to chill and reduces any temptation to speed.

Iv been tempted by the RNS-E but not got it yet. You should get this first :)

I've got both retrofitted in my A3. For the price, you might as well get cruise fitted, not an overly expensive mod and a life saver on motorway trips, especially if there's them annoying average speed cameras!

Don't think I could live without my RNSE in my car now, so much easier using SD cards for music instead of faffing around with CD's all the time. Also, I've never had a problem with the sat nav. As long as you know the road name as well as the first part of the postcode, its fine and always got me to where I need to be.

I've got both retrofitted in my A3. For the price, you might as well get cruise fitted, not an overly expensive mod and a life saver on motorway trips, especially if there's them annoying average speed cameras!

Don't think I could live without my RNSE in my car now, so much easier using SD cards for music instead of faffing around with CD's all the time. Also, I've never had a problem with the sat nav. As long as you know the road name as well as the first part of the postcode, its fine and always got me to where I need to be.

Plus one! Cruise is great fun. And rnse is awesome. Postcodes arnt a problem asking as you know the street your going to aswell as the actual post code

Welcome along mate,

Plus another one from me - I had RNS-E installed by NHN and he persuaded me into getting Cruise done while he was with me, it's not expensive.

You'll get used to the post code thing, I have :)

Welcome to the club Chris, I have neither cruise or sat nav either but am looking to install through NHN.

I've never had cruise in any of my cars so never missed it but I do think it would be great for the motorway, personal preference I guess!

Some really helpful stuff on these forums that's for sure.

Enjoy
J3NKO

ImageImageImageThanks guys for all of the above responses.

I think for the money cruise control is a no brainer! My one reservation is that on a smooth journey, if one was wanting to achieve the highest mpg, would the use of cruise control have a negative impact, I guess like using AC?

In respect of fitting the RNS-E. Having researched the forum and through other correspondence it is my understanding that, on the mk2 system it is not cost effective to adapt the system in order to play DVDs.

Also I guess it is imperative that I upgraded the radio antenna? Through research, I struggle to understand the major component cost, thus making this mod an expensive choice.

Is there anything else I should specify with my desired set up that is better to do now in order to again have a future proof set up.

Is there likely to be a firmware update to the rns-e in order to enhance post code searching? Is the RNS-E likely to be given any further attention given that now there is a further version of the a3?

Again, many thanks in advance,

Chris

The radio antenna system would give you degraded reception at times/locations & you may end up with fuzzy radio, if you can put up with this at times then don't bother doing it, but most people I've done the work for have sdone the upgrade as they want a faultless system, personal preference & can be decided on the day if an install was to go ahead, however, obviously testing would be limited to where the car was upon install & driving down the road may show up the limitations of the radio with the non optimal system fitted, the parts cost are £200 for amps/looms, takes 2-3 hours to do aswell, hence the cost.

Cruise will always be a help, 1 for mpg & 2 for ease of driving motorways without constantly on/off the pedal, its a worthwhile investment IMHO.

If you don't have BT then this is a worthy system imho if the rns is going in & ami if you want all your tunes on your iphone or usb drive, although the rns mk2 has sdhc compatibility upto 32GB in each slot, so this maybe good enough for you, again personal preference, some people like the comfort/convenience of the iphone having music & phone etc all in same unit, hence ami & bt fitted would allow this.

We don't know what audi will do tbh chris, they may update it, but maybe they wont, not sure what the 0220 latest firmware has done atm, but we can only live in hope, but in all honesty, I, as have others have used the mk1 & mk2 with same postcode feature & its never been an issue for addresses & even easier with SDS fitted aswell, this for me wouldn't be a deciding factor & never was when I 1st invested in the system.

Reactions: J3NKO
RNSE was the first upgrade I did, followed by cruise control - both worth having

Through reading about the sat-nav facility it appears there is an issue with searching full UK post codes, in practice is this really such a big issue?

If you can't get to your destination without full postcode then you need to give up your driving licence :whistle2:

The RNSE finishes off the cabin nicely and gives the convenience of SD card input.
Get the later version though as the early ones dont accept SDHC cards.

I personally find the Nav functionality rubbish and often have to use Google maps on my phone to get me to the final destination.
Even though its has 2012 maps it still doesnt find my mates estate which has been there for 6-7 years and really struggles with Industrial areas/Retails parks that dont have specific Street names.

If you have an A3 then its defo worth the upgrade but in relative terms its very `Old Tech` IMO.