AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Would you avoid a 145k 3.2 car?

Neutral

Status

Would you avoid a 145k 3.2 car?

Hi there everyone, I am in the market for a new car and I have a few limiting factors, mainly money, im 21 and at university, so the most ive managed to scamper together so far is £3000, I could get more but im working with 3 at the minute, seeing whats out there etc.

I recently discovered after avoiding them because i never thought i could get an Audi, but alot of the 2003/4 models are within my budget, just. I've always driven petrol's, so i cant make my mind up between a 2.0 FSI or TDI, or in this case a 3.2 quattro.

The one in question is below;

2004 Audi A3 3.2 DSG AUTO V6 QUATTRO SPORT | eBay

Generally it looks like a nice car, but what do you all think? Maybe some of you have seen the ad too. Are these cars often ragged, do they die at 150k? I don't really know Audis all to well so im asking you guys. Thanks for any help!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Different Gear

Status
    The running costs of a 3.2 (fuel, insurance, tax etc) will be big remember, so if you've only got 3K then probably one to stay away from.

If I were you i'd be looking at a 1.9 diesel.
    NHN likes this.
    09 Audi A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-Line SB 8P3
    - Full Leather - LED DRL's - BOSE - Cruise Control - RNS-E Mk2 - AMI - Bluetooth - Folding Mirrors -

VCDS owner - A3 Grille Install Guide

Neutral

Status
    Hi A3Kent thanks for your reply, :-)

I had considered those things, Insurance is not too bad, its similar to what i'm paying at the moment, and i currently drive a 1987 MR2, and i've had an old mini, so i'm well accustomed to poor fuel economy, lol.

Sensibly speaking i know i should stay away, but I still have an urge :P

Enthusiast

Status
    How about getting 2.0TDI and getting it remapped?
    VCDS USER

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Welcome to the site.

You say in your 1st line, limiting factors are money, so why buy a really thirsty motor fella, the fuel savings alone would help you buy a better tdi, think sensibly atm if I was you mate, then you can spend money on nice mods engine/body/technology wise.

If you buy a vag car, then if you need any oem technology mods, give us a shout as we supply/fit.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieronboz View Post
    Hi A3Kent thanks for your reply, :-)

I had considered those things, Insurance is not too bad, its similar to what i'm paying at the moment, and i currently drive a 1987 MR2, and i've had an old mini, so i'm well accustomed to poor fuel economy, lol.

Sensibly speaking i know i should stay away, but I still have an urge :P
    It's an urge that may come back to bite you!

They're pretty solid cars,but be sure that all of the maintainence issues like cam chains etc have been done.

I looked at a few 1.8TTs recently for one of my kids,and ended up buying a Mini instead,for many reasons,not least of which was insurance,but if you're OK with that....

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SAiLO View Post
    How about getting 2.0TDI and getting it remapped?
    I have heavily considered this and outside of toying the idea of the 3.2, this seems better lol, thanks. My only concern, will a remapped TDI be noticeably better than a 2.0 FSI? I can look at statistics all day, but will it. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Welcome to the site.

You say in your 1st line, limiting factors are money, so why buy a really thirsty motor fella, the fuel savings alone would help you buy a better tdi, think sensibly atm if I was you mate, then you can spend money on nice mods engine/body/technology wise.

If you buy a vag car, then if you need any oem technology mods, give us a shout as we supply/fit.
    Thanks for the welcome :-) I guess it was rather hypocritical of me, sometimes you just want so much, so i think i will wait till I get my graduate job and im not still stacking shelves! Ill look into the other options more, however A3 all the way! Thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    It's an urge that may come back to bite you!

They're pretty solid cars,but be sure that all of the maintenance issues like cam chains etc have been done.

I looked at a few 1.8TTs recently for one of my kids,and ended up buying a Mini instead,for many reasons,not least of which was insurance,but if you're OK with that....
    Yeah maintenance was my main concern, thanks for the wise words haha, i think ill save the quattro for my toy when I can afford it! 2.0 It is! insurance was about 6-700 too, which is great!

Thanks everyone

3rd Gear

Status
    I have heavily considered this and outside of toying the idea of the 3.2, this seems better lol, thanks. My only concern, will a remapped TDI be noticeably better than a 2.0 FSI? I can look at statistics all day, but will it. haha.

Thanks for the welcome :-) I guess it was rather hypocritical of me, sometimes you just want so much, so i think i will wait till I get my graduate job and im not still stacking shelves! Ill look into the other options more, however A3 all the way! Thanks for your help

Yeah maintenance was my main concern, thanks for the wise words haha, i think ill save the quattro for my toy when I can afford it! 2.0 It is! insurance was about 6-700 too, which is great!

Thanks everyone
    I have a 37 k 3.2 it costs a fortune to run ,maintain and fix the only good thing is the noise

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
    I have a 37 k 3.2 it costs a fortune to run ,maintain and fix the only good thing is the noise
    You make a convincing argument lol. I think ill go the 2.0 route :-) Just need to find one now. I need dual climate control!

Enthusiast

Status
    You will definitely notice the huge amounts of torque compared to naturally aspirated 2.0FSI engine. Never driven one but guessing that a remapped 2.0TDi would probably win.
    Fuel economy will put a smile on your face too.
    VCDS USER

Neutral

Status
    You will definitely notice the huge amounts of torque compared to naturally aspirated 2.0FSI engine. Never driven one but guessing that a remapped 2.0TDi would probably win.
    Yeah sounds good, it probably would! I would welcome it openly haha. Looking at some now, should I be concerned about mileage? go less than 150k? 120k? Does it matter, lol, I know a diesel will go forever, just looking for input! :-)

3rd Gear

Status
    I have owned loads of cars golfs,r32's , boras my last car was a 140 bhp tdi high line with plenty of poke then I traded down to a 3.2 v6 and I would say its the worst motoring decision I have ever made go for diesel it's the best all round and the v6 is limited to engine mods unless you put a turbo or a supercharger in it for 10 grand.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
    I have owned loads of cars golfs,r32's , boras my last car was a 140 bhp tdi high line with plenty of poke then I traded down to a 3.2 v6 and I would say its the worst motoring decision I have ever made go for diesel it's the best all round and the v6 is limited to engine mods unless you put a turbo or a supercharger in it for 10 grand.
    Oh god. I feel for you haha. This post alone has made my decision lol. Ill go for the TDI. Panic over guys. haha

2nd Gear

Status
    If your looking for a diesel with high mileage you will need to make sure it has a good service history and cambelt had been changed.

Problems with earlier models are the turbo and head gasket.
    lots of info on what to look out for and what engines are affected on this forum.

Apart from that diesels are a good buy on your budget.
    2005 Audi A3 2.0 TDI DSG S-line (8p1)
    Mods: 18" Gloss Black RS4's - 8p2 S-line Front Bumper - Black Grill - A5 LED Number Plate lights - LED Sidelights - Euro Style Plates - EGR Delete - RTech Custom Remap - Hot Start Issue Fix
    Pipeline: Lowering, Wheel Refurb, Coming Home Lights

2007 VW Golf 2.0 GT TDI 140 (Wife's)
    Mods: 18" Charlestons

5th Gear

Status
    I have a 2.0FSI and I love mine as I've come from a 1.2 Clio but it's not the best.

OP, I'd definitely go with a 2.0TDI if money's tight. Cheaper tax, better fuel economy, lots of torque when remapped etc.
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport
    2011 Glossy Black RNS-E |AP Coilovers | 18" 7 Spoke OEM BE Alloy Wheels | H&R Trak+ Spacers 8mm (Front) 12mm (Rear) | MY11 Rear Lights | S Line Spoiler | Retrofitted MFSW | Retrofitted Cruise Control | Interior LED Light Pack | OEM LED Numberplate Bulbs

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by J8TT X View Post
    If your looking for a diesel with high mileage you will need to make sure it has a good service history and cambelt had been changed.

Problems with earlier models are the turbo and head gasket.
    lots of info on what to look out for and what engines are affected on this forum.

Apart from that diesels are a good buy on your budget.
    Thanks for the help, to be honest, I think I may wait for another wage so that I can increase my budget into the 3-4 mark, it seems the quality of the cars drastically increases in there, and I can get a sub 100k mileage one.

Quote Originally Posted by leeds2592 View Post
    I have a 2.0FSI and I love mine as I've come from a 1.2 Clio but it's not the best.

OP, I'd definitely go with a 2.0TDI if money's tight. Cheaper tax, better fuel economy, lots of torque when remapped etc.
    Thanks, it does seem like the TDI would be the better choice, im just scared as ive always been a petrol guy! Haha

Neutral

Status
    2003 03 AUDI A3 2.0 TDI SPORT DIESEL 3 DOOR HATCHBACK *MAY PX* | eBay

Something like the above seems a good deal, within my current budget, but the mileage is scary to look at. Of course im better off waiting a few weeks for my budget to get bigger, but do I need too. :D

Different Gear

Status
    Scared of what? Putting petrol into your diesel tank?!?!
    - Full Leather - LED DRL's - BOSE - Cruise Control - RNS-E Mk2 - AMI - Bluetooth - Folding Mirrors -

Different Gear

Status

Something like the above seems a good deal, within my current budget, but the mileage is scary to look at. Of course im better off waiting a few weeks for my budget to get bigger, but do I need too. :D
    Better off waiting a month or 2 to get your budget up mate. Really you want to be getting a lowest possible mileage diesel with a good service history and ensuring the cambelt/water pump has been done recently.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3Kent View Post
    Scared of what? Putting petrol into your diesel tank?!?!
    Among other things this seems a good place to start lol.

Quote Originally Posted by A3Kent View Post
    Better off waiting a month or 2 to get your budget up mate. Really you want to be getting a lowest possible mileage diesel with a good service history and ensuring the cambelt/water pump has been done recently.

Yeah your obviously right, Ill work my ass off for the summer, my MOT expires on 23rd of September, Ill see if i can wait that long. (car wont pass so need new car (A3))

Stop me

Status
    I've always been petrol as well...and tbh I can't wait to go back! But that's just me...
    2006 A3 2.0TDI 170 S Line Mauritius Blue
    Bluetooth | RNSE | MFSW | BOSE | DRL | Xenon Plus | Half Leather | Heated Seats | Parking Sensors

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by immo View Post
    I've always been petrol as well...and tbh I can't wait to go back! But that's just me...
    Oh really, how come?

Stop me

Status
    Just preference, I like on the button power not turbo lag
    2006 A3 2.0TDI 170 S Line Mauritius Blue
    Bluetooth | RNSE | MFSW | BOSE | DRL | Xenon Plus | Half Leather | Heated Seats | Parking Sensors

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by immo View Post
    I agree, don't get me wrong a remap on a diesel completely changes the way the car drives. But still...imo I am looking forward to going back to petrol.
    Current:
    8P2 S3 Phantom Black | RNS-E, AMI, FBMFSW, Bluetooth, Auto lights & wipers, CHL, LED Interior light pack, Black Styling pack, Miltek Catback, MY11 rear lights and remapped by Unicorn Motor Developments

Previous:
    8P2 A3 2.0 TDI 170 S Line Quattro Grey | Remapped
    8L A3 1.9 Tdi 100 Sport Black | Remapped to 130

4th Gear

Status
    i got a really decent 2.0T petrol for just over 4k, and i love it. im on a super tight budget as also a student, i waited about 2 month for it to come on market and snapped it up first day.

so my advice would be watch the market, so autotrader and ebay twice a day, get a nice feeling for price, watch the price of the cars goes down as they dont sell, use this to your advantage when buying, and wait for the right one.
    I spent over like 200 quid on diesel going to view cars, which sucks, but to get the right one and not a bag of **** its worth it.

In fact, funny story. Went to view one, i said to the guy, is there anywhere you can put your foot down for me(he was driving) and he said il do it here, and he racked up the speed to 90mph in a 30 zone with a cold engine. lets say i left that car standing on the road and went home.

lol
    JJ.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ.Foulds View Post
    i got a really decent 2.0T petrol for just over 4k, and i love it. im on a super tight budget as also a student, i waited about 2 month for it to come on market and snapped it up first day.

so my advice would be watch the market, so autotrader and ebay twice a day, get a nice feeling for price, watch the price of the cars goes down as they dont sell, use this to your advantage when buying, and wait for the right one.
    I spent over like 200 quid on diesel going to view cars, which sucks, but to get the right one and not a bag of **** its worth it.

In fact, funny story. Went to view one, i said to the guy, is there anywhere you can put your foot down for me(he was driving) and he said il do it here, and he racked up the speed to 90mph in a 30 zone with a cold engine. lets say i left that car standing on the road and went home.

lol
    JJ.
    This is basically what I have been doing, multiple times a day on ebay and autotrader, haha. But yeah I think ill keep saving try to increase my budget a little bit. Thanks!

2nd Gear

Status
    Dont listen to them Buy the 3.2.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by autolatry View Post
    Dont listen to them Buy the 3.2.
    You must be the wild carefree feeling inside of me! Whats your reasoning haha.

1st Gear

Status
    I'm the opposite I'm on my first petrol car in years I had a 1.9tdi Bora 150bhp for a few years before my current car. I couldn't really fault it plenty of poke and great on fuel I liked how torquey it was. It's worth test driving a few see if the style of driving suits you lots of low down power. Echo what's been said a well cared for car is more important then miles they do last if looked after!

4th Gear

Status
    Dont get a 3.2 - no sense in it. Get a 2.0tfsi
    ​​Programmer/Web Developer, Headphone/Amp Geek
    06 SLine Special Edition Phantom Black 2.0T FSI Quattro A3
    Done: P-Flo, RevD, Sachs Organic, Milltek TBE + Res + Sports cat
    Wanted/Next:Intercooler, HPFP, Remap

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallm0nkey View Post
    I'm the opposite I'm on my first petrol car in years I had a 1.9tdi Bora 150bhp for a few years before my current car. I couldn't really fault it plenty of poke and great on fuel I liked how torquey it was. It's worth test driving a few see if the style of driving suits you lots of low down power. Echo what's been said a well cared for car is more important then miles they do last if looked after!
    Yeah ive heard this, to be honest im not a racer I do trips around town, go on a 16 mile drive a few times a week and probably spend most of my time at 60 max, so maybe the diesel will suit nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by wuta3 View Post
    Dont get a 3.2 - no sense in it. Get a 2.0tfsi
    Didnt think I could afford a tfsi!

Leather repair specialist

Status

. Cheeky offer
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/vie...d=151028633376

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo jay View Post
    It would be a very cheeky offer lol.

Leather repair specialist

Status
    It would be a very cheeky offer lol.
    yea but if you don't ask you don't get.

1st Gear

Status
    +1 for the TFSI, loving mine

4th Gear

Status
    Yeah ive heard this, to be honest im not a racer I do trips around town, go on a 16 mile drive a few times a week and probably spend most of my time at 60 max, so maybe the diesel will suit nicely.

Yeah i was aiming for the 3.2, but all signs told me to wait and get a TFSI as, MPG is better (not that it matters), also i needed a 5 door as 3 door is sucky.
    Also TFSI will remap up to 255 ish stock, so same power in long run.

And this being my first turbo car, THE SOUND OF THE LITTLE K03 SPINNING UP IS AMAZING. Cant wait to get an open intake for it to be louder.

Your all gonna burn me for this but i drove around without the stock airfilter on by accident (forgot i took it off one morning) and it sounded incredible aha and was sooSOO loud.

JJ.

2nd Gear

Status
    It is that price for a reason. I dread to think of that car's history
    Ice Silver Audi S3 (8P3) https://www.facebook.com/benjamin.n.long

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ.Foulds View Post
    Yeah i was aiming for the 3.2, but all signs told me to wait and get a TFSI as, MPG is better (not that it matters), also i needed a 5 door as 3 door is sucky.
    Also TFSI will remap up to 255 ish stock, so same power in long run.

And this being my first turbo car, THE SOUND OF THE LITTLE K03 SPINNING UP IS AMAZING. Cant wait to get an open intake for it to be louder.

Your all gonna burn me for this but i drove around without the stock airfilter on by accident (forgot i took it off one morning) and it sounded incredible aha and was sooSOO loud.

JJ.
    Lol, well now I want a TDI or a TFSI! haha it does seem like a happy medium, and atleast fuel will be better than my current car.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben S3 8P3 View Post
    It is that price for a reason. I dread to think of that car's history
    This is my real concern, there's just no way to know when somethings gonna give.

4th Gear

Status
    Yeah i was on this forum watching every post for about 3 months before i bought mine, and im very glad i chose what i did, its a poor mans S3, but im happy with that :P, and insurance was about 200 cheaper than the 3.2. make sure you give the forum insurance guys a ring as one of them did me a great price and were soo helpful.

JJ.

1st Gear

Status

I've owned 3 Audis, one petrol and two diesels, personally I prefer the diesels for a number of reasons but imo the above car seems pretty good, ok the mileage is quite high but as previously stated by J8TTX as long as it's been looked after i.e cambelt and regular servicing it should be fine, I bought mine on 80,000mi it's now on 120,000 and still runs absolutely beautifully, I love the car! My mate has a 2005 2.0tdi with 240,000 miles on it and still going strong. Ideally it would be obviously be better to have lower mileage but the lower the mileage the higher the price!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast