3.2 CATs rattling - best source for new CAT centre section.

Dan320is

Reaction score
Hi guys, sods law the A3's MOT needs doign next week and the CAT's have started rattling, they sound like they've broken up.

Where is best to source a new CAT centre section?

Hello mate I think mine have gone to it sounds like a load of gravel being thrown under my car at times did u experience this?

Hello mate I think mine have gone to it sounds like a load of gravel being thrown under my car at times did u experience this?

It sounds as though a heat shield is rattling against the exhaust but I've had the car in the air and checked everything, it's the broken CAT internals rattling about.

Excuse to buy a milltek ???

Reactions: Brodster
I'd love a Milltek or Remus cat back but I still need to address the CAT issue and I'm going through the costly process of a house purchase at the moment.

Decat ? If u can have emissions test passed wink wink, would sound fooooookin wicked on a 3.2v6

The A3 3.2's cats are all part of the downpipe section with the flexi pipes. Sounds like it could be an expensive fix!

Not sure about the 3.2, but my last car had a twin cat set up. The nearside one started rattling, but it still passed the MOT gas test.

Not sure about the 3.2, but my last car had a twin cat set up. The nearside one started rattling, but it still passed the MOT gas test.

If it's a free MOT re-test , why not put it through as it is.

The wife's mini passed it's test with a rattling cat as well. Two months later it blocked up completely and wouldn't do more than 30 mph!

The wife's mini passed it's test with a rattling cat as well. Two months later it blocked up completely and wouldn't do more than 30 mph!

This happeded to me on the M62 a few years back in my 406 coupe. I was cruising along then the car slowed and wouldnt go over 30mph.

Had to dodge into the loser lane very quickly. Ive never had so many w*nker signs aimed at me in one day before.

But back to the point, I have been blowing a load of lovely steam through my cats, so they will be on there way out now no doubt.