JMB RetrofitsVolks Autos
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ace A3

Thread: 2005 A3 2.0tdi clicking/ticking noise when hot

Reverse Gear

Status

2005 A3 2.0tdi clicking/ticking noise when hot

Hi All,
    I am new to this and have just joined, i am having problems with my 2005 A3 2.0tdi, first of all the turbo blew, then the engine went, List of work done so far:
    New turbo
    Second hand engine
    timing belt and water pump kit
    Clutch and dual mass flywheel
    Alternator clutch overrun pully

The car runs fine now but has developed a ticking/clicking sound when the engine is hot, it is fine up till then. it seems to be coming from the back/bottom of the engine and gets louder when slowing down also when the clutch is in.

Does anybody please have any ideas as i really want to keep the car considering all the work i have done.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    check the head mate

dont think thats its not because theres no smoke

i had a clicking from my engine which was from the right hand side of the engine near the battery and now I'm have changed the head because it was cracked theres no ticking noises anymore touch wood.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NavA3 View Post
    check the head mate

dont think thats its not because theres no smoke

i had a clicking from my engine which was from the right hand side of the engine near the battery and now I'm have changed the head because it was cracked theres no ticking noises anymore touch wood.
    Sounds more like from the bottom back underneath

2nd Gear

Status
    More than likely its the small cover plate on the back of the flywheel as you say you've had the clutch & flywheel changed...

if you look up under the rear of the gearbox/engine there is a small plate with one torx (iirc!) bolt and it clips in at the top... Remove the plate, give it a slight bend so that when it goes back on the plate is bent away from the flywheel

That should sort it out
    54 8P2 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI BKD - Shark stage 1 - EGR delete - Dolphin Grey

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon View Post
    More than likely its the small cover plate on the back of the flywheel as you say you've had the clutch & flywheel changed...

if you look up under the rear of the gearbox/engine there is a small plate with one torx (iirc!) bolt and it clips in at the top... Remove the plate, give it a slight bend so that when it goes back on the plate is bent away from the flywheel

That should sort it out
    Update the car has come back from the garage fixed it was indeed the plate/shim on the back of the flywheel. All sorted now thanks for your responses
    Boon likes this.

Neutral

Status
    My A3 has just developed the same symptoms described above. I'm hoping this plate is all it is as I have only just replaced the clutch. Does anyone know how easy this is to fix/whether its doable at home without too much fuss?

Neutral

Status
    Sorted mine out today.. was a very similar problem that took about 15minutes to fix. As described above there is a small inspection plate on the back of the flywheel, after removing I found the edge of the shim was skimming the flywheel. For those willing to give it a go, all you need to do is remove your plastic glide plate, locate & remove the inspection plate and bend it away from the flywheel. I have attached pictures of what mine looked like after I removed the plate to give you some idea of what to look for.IMG_0938.jpgIMG_0939.jpg