Volks AutosSky Insurance
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By TDI140
  • 2 Post By TDI140
  • 5 Post By sliced
  • 1 Post By TDI140

Thread: can xenon's be converted to run normal halogen bulbs?

Reverse Gear

Status

can xenon's be converted to run normal halogen bulbs?

hi guys, i recently won some bi-xenon lights on ebay but i dont really want to drive around blinding everyone tbh, could i somehow get them to just run normal 'yellow' halogens through the projectors and also have the inboard drl's work aswell?

thanks
    kash

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Ahah why would you want that instead doing mods to make your car look better your going backwards
    NHN likes this.
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 225bhp 351ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch

6th Gear

Status
    Just sell them again?

3rd Gear

Status
    It's not the xenons that blind people its the bulbs being in the wrong housing.

Xenons in projectors -> fine

Halogens in reflectors -> fine

Xenons in reflectors -> dazzle central

Reverse Gear

Status
    its not so much the xenons i wanted but the inboard drl's and appearance of projectors

Quote Originally Posted by Minstadave View Post
    It's not the xenons that blind people its the bulbs being in the wrong housing.

Xenons in projectors -> fine

Halogens in reflectors -> fine

Xenons in reflectors -> dazzle central
    it still wouldnt pass an mot though nowadays

Stop me

Status
    I don't understand this thread at all.
    2006 A3 2.0TDI 170 S Line Mauritius Blue
    Bluetooth | RNSE | MFSW | BOSE | DRL | Xenon Plus | Half Leather | Heated Seats | Parking Sensors

5th Gear

Status
    This is the craziest thing ive heard on here for a while, you buy bi-xenons for visibility but if you put yellow bulbs in the projector you might aswel drive with a blindfold on
    NHN and Ryan21 like this.
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 225bhp 351ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    NHN, Sevv, a6-chris and 2 others like this.
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

Reverse Gear

Status
    if the xenons dont blind everyone without the self levelers ill keep them as that
    am i right in thinking the ballasts are in the headlight unit its self and theyll work with an adapter from kufatec?

4th Gear

Status
    I have xenons retro-fitted without self levellers and I dont blind anyone

they were setup by an MOT tester to ensure they were pointing correctly. When i first fitted them they were set too high
    Now a happy owner of an A3 Sportback S Line 170 TDI
    My Posh Golf

4th Gear

Status
    I have xenons retro-fitted without self levellers and I dont blind anyone
    How do you know?

5th Gear

Status
    I have xenons without levelers and no one flashes me or anything
    Rhyso likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    you can also plug ur headlights to an a3 with self leveling like mine!
    A3 S Line 2.0 TDI Sportback - DSG
    BOSE, cruise control, bi-xenons, MFSW, Heated seats, paddle shifts, ipod connection

19" Speedlines | Reverse camera | Eibach Sportline Springs | MY09 LED Tails | Eibach Spacers Front 10MM Rear 12MM | Pioneer HU | Private Plate | Tints | LED numberplate | Interior Light Kit

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fangio View Post
    How do you know?
    no one has ever flashed me to say im blinding them. Equally like i said they were setup by an MOT tester to ensure the beam pattern and direction were correct
    My Posh Golf

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyso View Post
    no one has ever flashed me to say im blinding them. Equally like i said they were setup by an MOT tester to ensure the beam pattern and direction were correct
    If that's possible, why then does OEM have to have self-levelling? An unnecessary expense and complication, surely?

And does your manual load adjustment wheel still work?

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fangio View Post
    If that's possible, why then does OEM have to have self-levelling? An unnecessary expense and complication, surely?

And does your manual load adjustment wheel still work?
    that i couldnt tell you. The MOT rules state beam pattern and alignment must be correct and to check the operation of the levelling system but you cant check something that isnt fitted. The guy who set them up said that as long as my beam pattern is correct then my car will pass

no it doesnt work

probably get flamed for not having them fitted but ive had police cars follow me and I follow them and have never been pulled for my headlights being blinding
    My Posh Golf

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyso View Post
    that i couldnt tell you. The MOT rules state beam pattern and alignment must be correct and to check the operation of the levelling system but you cant check something that isnt fitted. The guy who set them up said that as long as my beam pattern is correct then my car will pass

no it doesnt work

probably get flamed for not having them fitted but ive had police cars follow me and I follow them and have never been pulled for my headlights being blinding
    tbh as long as you drive sensibly police won't really put you over. I remember not having rear number plate lights and not once did I get pulled over despite having police cars behind me on several occasions haha
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

4th Gear

Status
    Lucky you. Got pulled once for only one no. plate light, but only got a ticking-off!

Headlight Washer System < Technical Glossary < Innovation & Technology < Volkswagen International
    Last edited by fangio; 17th June 2013 at 11:40.

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    Kash,

Get the headlights to someone that does have auto levelling and plug it into their car which will level out the headlights for you... get them installed, and then level them by an MOT tester while fitted to a car and you wont have problems.

yes ideally you would want auto levellers installed in your car but these are mainly functional when on hills or have a heavy load in the car.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread

c_w
    5th Gear

Status
    Yep, auto levellers are not really a major issue. Different oem XENONS have different levels anyway, they are NOT a guarantee of not blinding someone, BMWs are often quite low, Mercs are usually high.

Reverse Gear

Status
    ill just keep them as xenons then thanks for the help guys