Steering clunk

wuta3

Reaction score
Hey all,

this evening while parking I noticed a metal clunk if I turn swiftly over 12 o'clock, as in it clunks from "wheels straight" then going right or left, but only once going lock to lock.

Did some searching, most info I could find was: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/118500-s3-steering-knock.html - However last MOT did show an advisory for failing lower suspension arm bushes ... so could it be that?

Got my cambelt service coming up and don't fancy £800 for a new rack on top of the poly's im gonna order.

*sad face*

Any advice on how to verify if it is the rack or something else knocking?

Also my steering is pretty vague, a bit of play in it and seems to get "pulled and pushed" a lot by the groove of the road. Dunno now normal that is but i'd like tighter steering. If the rack is dead or needing replacement is there an uprated rack to go with the poly bushes or not worth bothering?

Jack it up both front wheels off the floor and yank on themwith one hand, feel the bushes with the other?
Try kwik fit, get a 'quote' for the repair, they have mot bays in most and should be able to tell you pretty quickly if its something to worry about, monday to fridays are best, testers rarely work on weekends!

Jack it up both front wheels off the floor and yank on themwith one hand, feel the bushes with the other?
Try kwik fit, get a 'quote' for the repair, they have mot bays in most and should be able to tell you pretty quickly if its something to worry about, monday to fridays are best, testers rarely work on weekends!

Sounds like a plan for ripping some flesh off my had and creating a flesh bush in the arm LOL
Im sure the bushes are going, but its if the rack is faulty too or the clunk is related to my knackered bushen

If it was an advisory then check them out 1st, upgrades come after diagnosing/fixing issues IMHO, although if the bushes are shot, then best of both worlds, upgrades along with fixing an issue maybe :)

If it was an advisory then check them out 1st, upgrades come after diagnosing/fixing issues IMHO, although if the bushes are shot, then best of both worlds, upgrades along with fixing an issue maybe :)

Exactly :) My policy is, if it needs replacing, sod it, uprate. So that's the bushes, I know they have had it. Probably sort the bushes and if the clunk persists take it from there then. I have a fat ol' service coming up next month so if it is major im sure they will find it?

so if it is major im sure they will find it?

Not unless its extremely obvious or reported by you, as a service doesn't tend to include checking every single bush fella.

Not unless its extremely obvious or reported by you, as a service doesn't tend to include checking every single bush fella.

Na I ment steering rack issue :) Not the bushes :p

What im sayin is, could the rack be the source of the knocking or is it most likely my bushes which I know have had it anyway.

Only way to know is to ramp it & check with another person, but ideally ramp so cars resting on the wheels, so it simulates the ground position.