3rd Gear Problem

J.R.

"Started From The Bottom"
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I was driving to a mates yesterday and I started to have a issue with the 3rd gear.

It didn't feel right at all ...it was like it was out of place or something.

Driving it more it seems like I definitely have an issue with 3rd gear as it was coming out of gear when I tried to put it into the 3rd gear a couple of times.

Would I need to change the whole gear box ? Just for the 3rd gear ?

I remember my previous 8p had issues with the Syncro.

your looking at possibly third gear, with the syncro mate... is there any crunching ? when u try to put it 3rd ?

your looking at possibly third gear, with the syncro mate... is there any crunching ? when u try to put it 3rd ?

It seems like it is the fork as it is a struggle to put it into 3rd gear ...and I have to think to myself if it's really in 3rd gear. Sometimes it's not and then it crunches.

I was driving yesterday thou and it seems to be better at getting into 3rd gear ...... not as stiff as it was a day ago.

maybe try change the transmission fuild get Redline MT90 should help lube it up ... maybe cheaper to try that ... if then crunches then its the syncro.. or as u said the selector fork although they dont usually go on them boxes to be honest its more main shaft bearing and syncros on our crappy boxes....

Reactions: J.R.