A3 2.0T Quattro Purchase Advice - is mileage an issue?

geforce189

Reaction score
Joined the forum and have been scouring all the usual sites for the perfect A3 2.0T Quattro S-Line Sportback. I'm holding out for the absolute perfect A3 in terms of mileage, service history, wheels and interior... I'm worried that I'm a being a bit of a Captain OCD but I've got a bit of time so thought I'd wait for the perfect motor.

I've found what appears to have ticked all my boxes but the mileage is what I'd deem to be high, it's at ~95K but had services at all the way through at all major intervals and the cambelt was changed at 75K... I know Audi blocks are solid and it shouldn't really be a concern but I've seen the same age A3's with half the mileage but not to my preferred spec go for sale within my budget...

My question is what do you guys think? Should I go for it (the seller is probably a member here!) or should I wait and see if one comes along with a very similar spec but with less on the clock and the same history etc? I'm literally checking every single day and am happy to wait another month or two...

Thoughts and advice please! Do you think it will cause me problems down the line and do you think if I sell it with over a 100K on the clock in a couple of years it will be detrimental to the sale etc?

100k these days isn't as bad as it used to be years ago, we cant convince you, but if you've done all the checks, then I see no reason to not buy it.

Yeah you're probably right... I'm prepared to hold out for a bit longer so will see if the right one comes along! Trouble is I'm getting impatient....

I've got a full list of checks so will be sure to run through that when I look. The seller is gonna hate me... I've bought a VAG-COM Micro-can cable ready for when I get the car and for any future mods etc...

Do you think the sellers will be a bit peeved if I try and hook up my laptop to see if there are any fault codes when looking a car over? What are the major DTS codes I need to look out for? Do you think it's likley that most second hand cars will at least have a couple of DTS codes or should it be completely free of errors?

Unless they have anything to hide, then no I cant see why.

It will probably have some codes, read it when you arrive, save the codes, clear them & reset the car with ignition off, lock car, unlock, start car, scan again, then save any other codes that come back & then test drive then scan when finished test drive.

Have you considered a 3.2 quattro?

I had, kind of. For the extra weight, being somewhat less economical and less tune-able I'm put off. Plus I'm desperate to own a turbo car and potentially get it mapped etc. Sorry dude!

Reactions: OVRA3
I had, kind of. For the extra weight, being somewhat less economical and less tune-able I'm put off. Plus I'm desperate to own a turbo car and potentially get it mapped etc. Sorry dude!

You won't regret buying one boring at standard but with 260ish bhp stage 1 you'll be smiling :)