Anyone changed a A3 Carpet or Drivers Seatbelt?

Andyc567

Reaction score
Just bought an A3 and am now looking at maybe changing the carpet.

The previous owner somehow managed to wear a hole in it, not by the pedals where you would expect (although there is the a hole there to) but at the base of the seat. Even the fitted car mats do not cover this hole !!

So, a job for the summer, changing the carpet, anyone done it, I bet it is a PITA ;-)

I also notice the drivers seat belt is also well frayed, god knows what the geezer did to it, so I really want to change that to, especially as it will probably come up in the MOT..

I have already changed the steering wheel and gear know with better ones from Ebay, both were mullered, surface was destroyed on both of them..

I find it annoying how some people really do not look after their cars !!

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Not done it but it would mean removing,seats,center console ,sill trims , rear quarter panel cards if a three door however you might be able to just tuck it under some trims

Just time consuming overall, take time & patients doing as trims get broken easily otherwise.

Finally got round to sorting out my drivers seat belt today !!

I actually took it off last weekend, as I was thinking about having it re-webbed at a place I had found for £70 + Vat.
I did mean the car was off the road for most of the week though..

Thinking about it after I had removed it, I decided to have a new one as I didn't want to mess with safety.
So £183.00 + Vat later my local TPS sold me a drivers side seat belt (8P3 857 706A - Special order).

Removing the belt wasn't to bad, just had to remove the bottom piece of A-Pillar trim to get the cill trim off, remove the rear seat, and luckily once a few clips on the rear quarter trim (with the speaker in it) were released there was enough room to get in and release all the bolts that held the belt in. The worse bit was the sliding height adjuster on the top B-Pillar trim, but wasn't really a problem.

Re-fitting the brand new belt wasn't to bad either, just have to be slow and patient and reassemble everything in the reverse order to which it came off.

The air bag light did got once everything back in place, but I did find the following in the Log using VCDS.
1 Fault Found:
00654 - Seat Belt Tensioner Igniter; Driver Side (N153)
001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 124
Mileage: 147604 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2013.09.29 <== When Seat Belt Removed !!
Time: 11:41:13

Cleared the code, went for a drive and it didn't come back.

So, sorted, frayed seat belt has now gone, and should now hopefully be good to go at the MOT.