Plasti Dip Grill...

leeds2592

When I grow up, I want a 964!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know there's a billion and one threads about what grill to get and how to replace grill etc but I couldn't find any answers to my question. I'm toying with the idea of Plasti Dip'ing my grill as I'm a bit bored with the look of my car and want a cheap mod. I was going to buy an FK grill or something but after removing my front bumper to replace the headlights, I can't be bothered with doing it all again as it was a PITA the first time!

Anyway, I'm wanting to know how easy it'll be to remove from the little slats in the grill?
Also, has anyone used the lacquer to create a glossy finish to the outside trim of the grill?

Thanks in advance

I did a quick 5 min job on mine the other day, check my threads, I just did the chrome surround in matte and I think I like it

Plasti-dipped the grill just for shits, used a rattle can, 5/6 coats, went onto the chrome parts really well

ready%20plastifront.jpg

I've used black bumper paint on mine came up really good finish.

Attachments

• 2015-04-25 12.07.54.jpg
    2015-04-25 12.07.54.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 140
Hi all,

I know there's a billion and one threads about what grill to get and how to replace grill etc but I couldn't find any answers to my question. I'm toying with the idea of Plasti Dip'ing my grill as I'm a bit bored with the look of my car and want a cheap mod. I was going to buy an FK grill or something but after removing my front bumper to replace the headlights, I can't be bothered with doing it all again as it was a PITA the first time!

Anyway, I'm wanting to know how easy it'll be to remove from the little slats in the grill?
Also, has anyone used the lacquer to create a glossy finish to the outside trim of the grill?

Thanks in advance

Did mine the other day. Satin black plasti-dip for the Middle, then vinyl wrapped the chrome in gloss black.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430004946742093

Last edited:
Reactions: doctor46goat and Jake 61
Had a go with the plasti dip yesterday, really easy and im pleased with the finish. Can anyone comment on how it lasts\wears?

IMG 20150425 182157

Reactions: SPARTAN91
Anyone got a good step by step, you just using masking tape to cover all the other areas or what?

Nice one

Anyone got a good step by step, you just using masking tape to cover all the other areas or what?

Nice one

I wedged paper around the grill and masking taped it together. Doesn't really matter if you get any overspray, as you can just rub the plasti-dip off.

Seems to last better than paint, plastic dip is very durable so stone chips aren't really a problem either.

you guys took your grill off and then plasti dipped it? or just sprayed it while on the car?

How many coats did you apply?

I just masked up and sprayed it on the car. I used the 1 can, probably about 5-6 coats.

Reactions: doctor46goat and Mario8P
I took it off, but I was changing my bumper aswell so made sense really. Just remember to be patient with it, the more prep work you put in the better finish you will get.

Reactions: Mario8P
Uhuh and remove any residue of product that might be left over

OK thanks. May give it a go. Do you know if it is safe to spray the grill while on the car, even with the radiator behind?

Use newspaper to stuff behind the grill to protect the rad, then pull it out once completely dry. Use paper to protect a wide area around the grill as overspray is easy. Consider 2 cans so you can get at least 5 coats and maybe some sealant too which will also reduce the matt finish. Hope to see some finished pictures

Decent - thanks! Couldn't decide between the Matte finish or glossy. Do you think the glossy would look better?
The car I am planning on doing is the Audi on my profile pic

I've got pretty much the same car and the matte is cool however I did end up preferring the gloss look, I did the badge and chrome surrounds also, which really sets it off nice