Lack of use

beaker

Reaction score
Hi,

Just about to move house which means my 80 mile daily round trip to work will now be a 25 minute walk. The car will therefore only be used on the weekends from now on.

Question is will this have any adverse affect on it? Going from over 20000 miles a year to not a lot sounds quite extreme. Will it be OK sat in the drive like this or should I be running it through the week, even just a short trip?

Good thing is my choice of next car has now dramatically improved as I don't need to be as concerned with mpg.

Most engine wear occurs while the motor is cold (tolerances are calculated for a hot motor, deposits are not burned off...) - so better not to do short trips if they can be avoided! Also, if the exhaust isn't heating up condensation will remain in the system.

The A/C system should be used occasionally to ensure the small amount of oil in the system keeps the seals etc wet.

As far as I know, if you have the variable service setting (servicing according to usage etc.) as opposed to the fixed servicing interval, every mile done cold is counted as three miles!!!

My advice, a good run every week and all should be OK.

Well my old man uses his car about once a month, but only on long runs (he's old fashioned and walks everywhere!) and he's had it 7 years for a grand total of 12,000 miles with no probs.

Lister is right - your car will be fine. On the other hand, my mrs daily drive is about 2 miles to the train station which is about as wrong as it gets. Having said that, she's been doing it 5 days a week for 2 years and her Ka has had no problems either, so maybe cars these days just aren't as fragile as they used to be.

Well that sounds good to me. I''ll probably be doing 80-100 miles or so every other weekend so it will get a decent run when I use it. Plus the occasional trips to supermarket.

Looks like I'll only be filling up once a month now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I don't use my car that much, Just over 900 miles in alsmost 2 months since I got it.

Blimney you guys don't use your cars do you! Last week I did nearly 2k! Luckily in the Astra. Bum thing bout lorry touching the side of it! Thank god it wasn't the Audi. Getting it on Monday can't wait. Bit ironic that the Astra is going to the workshop the same day!!! :¬)