• 4 Post By SAiLO
  • 2 Post By @udi A3
  • 1 Post By @udi A3
  • 1 Post By Ash187

Thread: Speed Camera van :-(

5th Gear

Status

Speed Camera van :-(

On my way back from Cambridge bit of spirited driving, I'm doing 80-85 max, car in front of me.. Speed van on the side of the road we both brake and by the time I pass him I'm doing 70.. Expect a ticket or not?
    A3 Sportback 2.0 TFSI S-Line Quattro Stage 1 Tune it up - Lowestoft Custom Remap- 6187 RPM developing 260 bhp 279lbs ft Akoya Silver, Roof rails, Black heated Vienna Leather, Bose upgrade, Bluetooth

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    What sort of road?

1st Gear

Status
    most likely, the van probably had you detected before you saw it

been done twice for speeding, both time by mobile vans

Drive safe, stay alive.

Status
    Car in front probably got caught and you'll probably be Scott freeeeeee, just check your post for the next two weeks to see if you got away with it
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

1st Gear

Status
    If you weren't really beyond 85 and If it was dual carriage way, then you should be fine since that has happened to me a Lot of times and I haven't received anything.

5th Gear

Status
    It was along the a47 dual carriage way :-( i think I was doing 80 maybe just over it was on a bend so hoping the car in front would have been the target and I slowed in time but 14 days will tell I suppose
    A3 Sportback 2.0 TFSI S-Line Quattro Stage 1 Tune it up - Lowestoft Custom Remap- 6187 RPM developing 260 bhp 279lbs ft Akoya Silver, Roof rails, Black heated Vienna Leather, Bose upgrade, Bluetooth

1st Gear

Status
    Don't forget you've got a certain amount of leeway, and speedos tend to over read :-) It doesn't sound too bad if it was a dual carriageway.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
    Don't forget you've got a certain amount of leeway, and speedos tend to over read :-) It doesn't sound too bad if it was a dual carriageway.
    How accurate are the speedos in our cars?

Reverse Gear

Status
    On the works Insignia the cruise contol is set at 85 which is nearer a true 80mph and never been pulled. I think with tollerances anything up to around 80 is ok on the dual carriagway. I was told they were set to allow 10% for calibration of speedometer but not sure how true that is.

3rd Gear

Status
    I thought u got 10% over the limit as leeway
    Audi A3 2010 2.0 TDI 140 Black Edition

3rd Gear

Status
    It used to be 10% plus 2 mph for all speed limits but i'm not sure if that's still the case.

5th Gear

Status
    Fingers crossed, I feel reasonably confident but I'm not 100% certain of my speed other than that when the car in front went passed them I was bang on 70

5th Gear

Status
    Using Torque app on Android phone, the reading seems to be around 5~8% lower than that shown on the DIS display.
    Yip the camera will have snapped away well before you prob detected it.
    Now a waiting game to see it the envelope comes through the letter box.

Out of interest how much journey time did the sprinted driving actually save you from A-B?

1st Gear

Status
    Think it also depends on type of set up in use, I was done on my motorbike the vans camera had a laser which locked on with laser and averaged my speed over 1 mile,lucky for me it stuck at 99 on a 60 road I expected to lose my license,i appeared in court said sorry your honour wont do it again honest....
    I got 6 points and £225 fine..... well happy.
    B5 Avant 2.5 tdi 2000 X reg , Jaspis green, carbon vinyl roof and door pillars, remapped, fmic, 18" bbs lm rims, custom exhaust, coilovers, RS4 front bumper and grill, tints allround, pillar mounted boost/oil pressure guages, solid flywheel conversion.....

Enthusiast

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLapou View Post

Out of interest how much journey time did the sprinted driving actually save you from A-B?
    You don't drive in a spirited way to cut journey time. You do it for pleasure.
    PaulAr, Sevv, leeds2592 and 1 others like this.
    VCDS USER

Stop me

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SAiLO View Post
    You don't drive in a spirited way to cut journey time. You do it for pleasure.
    True that. You drive FAST to cut journey time. Everyone knows this.
    2006 A3 2.0TDI 170 S Line Mauritius Blue
    Bluetooth | RNSE | MFSW | BOSE | DRL | Xenon Plus | Half Leather | Heated Seats | Parking Sensors

5th Gear

Status
    It had been a long day and I suppose 70 feels slow in my car no excuses could of been worse had the camera been a couple of miles back when I was playing with q7 2013.. Hey hoe you takes your chances and you pays your fine my own fault if I have been caught

6th Gear

Status
    I think you should all be slapped 3 points for knowingly speeding and admitting it was for fun!
    RedDejavu and boost-addict like this.
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    VCDS fully registered and happy to help.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    aren't dual carriageways all 60mph max? i know they have the white circle with the black line running diagonal which means national limit but i was sure the 70mph limit is only on Motorways??

edit: ok just checked myself and no i am wrong... it is 70mph for cars as stated here: https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash187 View Post
    aren't dual carriageways all 60mph max? i know they have the white circle with the black line running diagonal which means national limit but i was sure the 70mph limit is only on Motorways??

edit: ok just checked myself and no i am wrong... it is 70mph for cars as stated here: https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits
    You know, you wouldnt be the first person to try to tell me the limit is 60 on a duel carriageway, and get into a heated discussion over it! I actually had to double check myself once just to erase all doubt that i may have missed a change in the law! If towing a trailor with a car the limit is generally reduced by 10mph. For a hgv a single lane is 40mph, double is 50, and triple lane road 60.

At least you wouldnt have been nicked for speeding for your mistake :D
    Ash187 likes this.
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

5th Gear

Status
    Perhaps you need a highway Code refresher....
    Do not want to be caught out in/by a 'money box'.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
    How accurate are the speedos in our cars?
    On my two previous Audis the speedo would read about 4mph under the true speed pretty much across the board.

My current S3 has satnav and the speedo reads no more than 1mph over when calibrated against GPS. I don't know if the speedo is linked to the onboard GPS but I regard it as spot-on and 'drive accordingly'.

Stop me

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NickB View Post
    On my two previous Audis the speedo would read about 4mph under the true speed pretty much across the board.My current S3 has satnav and the speedo reads no more than 1mph over when calibrated against GPS. I don't know if the speedo is linked to the onboard GPS but I regard it as spot-on and 'drive accordingly'.
    GPS is inaccurate too though
    2006 A3 2.0TDI 170 S Line Mauritius Blue
    Bluetooth | RNSE | MFSW | BOSE | DRL | Xenon Plus | Half Leather | Heated Seats | Parking Sensors

5th Gear

Status
    Torque App on Android reads the speed direct from the ECU, so it's 100% real-time and as accurate as it can be.

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLapou View Post
    Perhaps you need a highway Code refresher....
    Do not want to be caught out in/by a 'money box'.
    Well i was under the impression the speed limit was lower which means that i would have been going slower so i wouldnt be in danger

Plus down here in London i don't see many Camera Vans... more undercover cops that will follow you and you wont have a clue until the blue lights start flashing
    sliced likes this.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread

6th Gear

Status
    Plus down here in London i don't see many Camera Vans... more undercover cops that will follow you and you wont have a clue until the blue lights start flashing
    They only follow you because they dont believe its possible to speed in and around the worlds largest carpark!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by immo View Post
    GPS is inaccurate too though
    At a constant speed it's very accurate providing the smoothing algorithm is up to the job. On a motorway you can also calibrate against the 100m marker posts with a stopwatch.

2nd Gear

Status
    Ash how long have you been driving!? Amazing.
    Last edited by Zak0123; 13th June 2013 at 16:58.
    Brilliant Black 61 Plate A3 1.6 TDI

Mods: S3 BE 5 Spoke Rotor Wheels with Goodyear EfficientGrip
    , AppRadio 2, 80% tints, Diamond Vision Headlights

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesO View Post
    It was along the a47 dual carriage way :-( i think I was doing 80 maybe just over it was on a bend so hoping the car in front would have been the target and I slowed in time but 14 days will tell I suppose
    *******s, was it that layby before the bridge over the Yare they were sat in? Nearly been done there a few times myself.

1st Gear

Status
    A few years ago for work I got to see a speed camera van in action and stand there with the guy while he zapped passing drivers.

They can see you from miles off. They also have polarised lenses on the camera so they can see the drivers face when they take the snapshot (so you can't say someone else was driving). The main limiting factor seemed to be the skill of the operator as they have to carefully aim the camera at a spot where they can get the reflection they need to measure the speed.

If the device is handheld they don't have as good a range. If it's on a tripod/fixed then it can go much further.

The vans are also bristling with CCTV in every direction in case someone tries something silly.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JayT View Post
    *******s, was it that layby before the bridge over the Yare they were sat in? Nearly been done there a few times myself.
    I meant a11 just before Thickthorn not a47, sat just after a bend in a bush! Really hard to spot! Still got my fingers crossed ****ers