Rattling Window (S3 10 Plate)

gazzer_s3

Reaction score
Hi All
My car has recently developed a rattle on the drivers side window, if I wind the window down the rattle is gone.
Anyone had similar issue & know fix for it as the rattle is doing my head in! Apart from sticking the stereo up a few notches!!

Thanks
Gary

Did you ever sort this? I've noticed this on my 2010 car also :)

Got this on my 2009 black edition.Doing my head in as well!!

Is the seam round the window ok? Had tjis on a 306 years ago and it was becaus of that. Just a stab here I know cars are a world apart haha

I have heard some rattles are to do with the little clips that align the glass when fully closed becoming worn and in generally a little week. Not my personal experience but replacing these has fixed these on a friends car.

Hi Tay
This could be the reason as like I say with window even just cracked open the rattle is virtually gone so Im assuming its to do with the alignment when window is fully closed,
How do you change the clips & where did you get them from?
Thanks

Hi Tay
This could be the reason as like I say with window even just cracked open the rattle is virtually gone so Im assuming its to do with the alignment when window is fully closed,
How do you change the clips & where did you get them from?
Thanks

PM user "the_life_pursuit" he might be able to tell you a bit more about it. Someone might come along with the part numbers in the mean time, but id guess its quite a fiddly job.

Hi All
My car has recently developed a rattle on the drivers side window, if I wind the window down the rattle is gone.
Anyone had similar issue & know fix for it as the rattle is doing my head in! Apart from sticking the stereo up a few notches!!

Thanks
Gary

rather than being a rattle, is it more of a creaking that sounds like its from the glass moving on rubber?

If so think if found the cause, it's not the window but infact where the top of the door seal touches the A pillar when the door is closed. The rubber seal creaks agains the paint when you go over bumps etc. I've polished and waxed the paint work where he door closes on the A pillar and the creak has gone, probably due to the rubber moving over the slippery waxed surface. Might be worth a look because its cured it on my 2012 A3

rather than being a rattle, is it more of a creaking that sounds like its from the glass moving on rubber?

If so think if found the cause, it's not the window but infact where the top of the door seal touches the A pillar when the door is closed. The rubber seal creaks agains the paint when you go over bumps etc. I've polished and waxed the paint work where he door closes on the A pillar and the creak has gone, probably due to the rubber moving over the slippery waxed surface. Might be worth a look because its cured it on my 2012 A3

Will give it a try, ta

Did that do the trick gazzer? My 2010 S3 is doing the same!

Finally something I can help out with on this forum! ;-)

I've had the same problem on two different A3's. It's like a creaking sound where the rubber seal on top of the door makes contact with the body. In my quest for a 100% silent ride, I did some (a lot!) of research and found that its common on A3s and 3 series bmw's. It's caused by the silicone in most car cleaning products which makes the creaking sound in contact with the door rubber. The problem appears to be worse in warm weather, and often goes away for a short time after rain when the rubber seals are wet. The sound disappears when the windows are opened.

If this sounds like your problem the solution is gummi pfledge. It has totally cured my creaking doors and I've only needed to reapply it once in about 3 - 4 months. Costs about £7 for a small bottle with foam pad applicator. Check out micksgarage.com It works very well on all rubber door seals, but the most important bit to treat is the very top most rubber trim on the door, the bit with a furry texture. One coat of gummi pfledge and the problem is gone!

Matt.

Reactions: K.A
Finally something I can help out with on this forum! ;-)

I've had the same problem on two different A3's. It's like a creaking sound where the rubber seal on top of the door makes contact with the body. In my quest for a 100% silent ride, I did some (a lot!) of research and found that its common on A3s and 3 series bmw's. It's caused by the silicone in most car cleaning products which makes the creaking sound in contact with the door rubber. The problem appears to be worse in warm weather, and often goes away for a short time after rain when the rubber seals are wet. The sound disappears when the windows are opened.

If this sounds like your problem the solution is gummi pfledge. It has totally cured my creaking doors and I've only needed to reapply it once in about 3 - 4 months. Costs about £7 for a small bottle with foam pad applicator. Check out micksgarage.com It works very well on all rubber door seals, but the most important bit to treat is the very top most rubber trim on the door, the bit with a furry texture. One coat of gummi pfledge and the problem is gone!

Matt.

Ah.... So me spraying silicone spray everywhere won't have helped things then????

Any other tips for a 'silent ride' Matt?? Squeaks, creaks and rattles drive me up the wall!

Reactions: dobbysline
Yes there's a very good spray lubricant which is NOT silicone based, fluorine based I think. It works a treat on squeaking plastic bits inside the cabin.

It's what the dealerships use when cars are returned under warranty with the owner complaining about unacceptable squeaks!

It's called Berulub ND spray, by a German company called Bechem. Quite expensive (£35 for 100ml) and hard to get hold of. I sorted all the squeaks in my centre console, armrest, door panels and glove box with one can, and I still have some left. Worth every penny if you ask me! I got mine from RS Clare & Co in Liverpool.

Blinkin eck that's quite expensive! I've found the hardest thing is finding the source of squeeks as they normally do their thing whilst I'm driving. I've ordered some gummi stuff for now and I will report back on the drivers door squeak, rattle, what ever it is... Thanks for the advice!

I tried that stuff and it didn't help me. It left some horrible streaks on the window too.
audi do sell a "special" liquid for £40 but I tried this too and it didn't help much either.....

Ah that's a shame. I know what you mean about the streaks, they were a little annoying at first. Did you try more than one application? I also found I had to hold the bottle upside down and press my finger in to the sponge to really get the applicator thoroughly wet enough to really coat the rubber and, maybe more importantly, the felt linings that make contact with the window.

Yeah, I've managed to have maybe 1 week of silence....
Audi told me they use silicone spray but I've never actually tried it.
The noise is coming from small hairs on the plastic trim around the window moving about.

Thanks for that perazzi. I'll try that out tomorrow :w00t:

WD40 worked at treat. cheap n easy,

Eh? You sprayed WD40 on your windows??? :think:

I've washed and waxed all the painted areas on the inside of the doors, used some rubber treatment on the door seals including the boot liner , coloured in the furry black felt bits with black crayon (lol) and silicone sprayed all the seatbelt clips and the arm rest.

I need to get a life!! :jump:

There better not be any squeaking when I drive it tomorrow!!!

I've washed and waxed all the painted areas on the inside of the doors, used some rubber treatment on the door seals including the boot liner , coloured in the furry black felt bits with black crayon (lol) and silicone sprayed all the seatbelt clips and the arm rest.

I need to get a life!! :jump:

There better not be any squeaking when I drive it tomorrow!!!

May the force be with you...

P.

It actually worked!!! No more squeaks. Tremendous! :thumbsup:

I had the same issue on my MY09 S3, although it happened on both driver and passenger doors! It was always much less noticeable when it was raining.

The dealer said it was the seal around the window and treated it with lubricant each time I went to complain about it. I did notice that it helped a little, but never cured it.

The eventual fix was new window regulators, thankfully covered by warranty

Hope this helps

so you use crayon on the furry trim on top of door? So to speak

no i sprayed WD40 inside the window jams,where the glass sits with the windows down.as WD40 leaves a clear film. why would i spray the window???