a3 8p 2.0 tdi - iddling issues...

Rui Carneiro

Reaction score
hi there..
.in the last summer i have some iddling problems in my audi...what happens is that once i stop and the engine is in iddling rpm (+/- 900), after 30 sec, it starts to accelerate whithout touching the throtlle, staying in 1000/1100 rpm, besides this, the radiator fans start to work, even if the car is still cold....then if i hit the throtlle hard, ithe fan stop, and the iddling is in the 900 rpm like it should, however after 30 sec, accelerates again...so, i´ve changed a temperature valve, that one that its under the air filter box, and the problem was solved...
however in the past week the problem returns...with the same symptoms, exactly the same, and i´ve changed the same valve....but in this time, didnt work....the problem persists....
i leave you a log with the vag com version 10.6...

18051 - Please check DTC Memory of Electric Load Controller
P1643 - 000 - - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1575 /min
Torque: 160.0 Nm
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Load: 37.6 %
Voltage: 13.98 V
Bin. Bits: 11000000
Load: 32.5 %
(no units): 1.0

thank you...
RC
PS: hope this the correct spot to leave this kind of question....

I have had this problem on my car too, i had to replace the MAF,it's placed on top of your airintake, next to the airfilter(atleast mine is) Try pulling the maf out and see if the problem still occours, if it doesn't, voila, you have located the problem.

here is a picture of it:

356023 MAF

unplug maf and see what happens

idle is to high at 900 should idle between 780 - 850

unplug maf and see what happens

idle is to high at 900 should idle between 780 - 850

good morning everyone....i´ve tried this maf thing....the problem still persist, and the idle still increases to 1000 rpm...
any idea about the vag com error that apears, and that i posted at the begining....and dont know what to do next...i´m starting to be really annoyed with the car...
:banghead:
thanks anyway....

I'm having the same issue randomly on mine, it seems to be dependent on outside temperature.

I need to run a scan via VCDS to check for DTCs, but i'll be keeping a close on this thread.

Is it easy enough to check MAF running values via VCDS to see if my MAF is faulty? ...I tried searching but couldn't find anything helpful.

I'm having the same issue randomly on mine, it seems to be dependent on outside temperature.

I need to run a scan via VCDS to check for DTCs, but i'll be keeping a close on this thread.

Is it easy enough to check MAF running values via VCDS to see if my MAF is faulty? ...I tried searching but couldn't find anything helpful.

it only depends of outside temp in winter...when the engine doesnt reach the temp of 90ºc and if outside is under 5ºc the idle raises to 1000 rpm...so the engine can reach faster the normal working temperature.....at least, this the behaviour of mine in winter, with thermic amplituds from -5 to 5 ºc
for this problem, i see no relation with maf problems, but, i also know that these are very tricky engines..
not very easy....to test maf, however: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/tdispecial.ppt

Sorry for the english writting...hope you all understand...
RC