Grill ideas?

Tommy53

Reaction score
Hello,

Was just looking at my grill and wondering what sort of things can be done to this model to make it look better, whether its a cheap or slightly dearer mod?

Its the 53 plate 2.0 tdi sport and i dont think the grill is all one, i believe its two is it?

Would be good if anyones got pictures of what they've done also!
Cheers!

Audi a3

Paint the outer chrome surrounds on the grills & the centre section of the bumper black to match the grill (or vinyl it). Its the cheapest option to look like the newer style A3.

Hmmm you couldn't have described it better. Very marmite haha. Bit unsure about that but my chrome is peeling on my bumper so something needs doing :/

hi there...my front bumper and grill are just like yours, but the car is darkest...this week, i will "plasti-dip" the upper and the lower frame, outter chromes, grill, and logo...in black mat....later, once i do it, i will post the result, however, explain me what "marmite" mean´s...

best Regards....RC

Brilliant thanks very much! Marmite, well they say you either love it or hate it!

Yes I do however bit unsure if to try and do it Cos I don't know what it'll look like! Will do mate but don't think I will be at the minute

Anyone know if its possible to get different types of the top part of grille for this? The newer audi ones look different

i like.....however i´m not sure about that section between de frames...???do you try to let it in the original color first??just to see how it looks??what do you use to protect the ic from the plasti dip projection ..???

even so, great work...

i like.....however i´m not sure about that section between de frames...???do you try to let it in the original color first??just to see how it looks??what do you use to protect the ic from the plasti dip projection ..???

even so, great work...
Well I wanted to make it look more like a single grill so hence why I sprayed the section in the middle :)
When you say protect the IC do you mean inter cooler? I don't have one...its a 2.0 FSi :happy:

Well I wanted to make it look more like a single grill so hence why I sprayed the section in the middle :)
When you say protect the IC do you mean inter cooler? I don't have one...its a 2.0 FSi :happy:
lol...right....cheap gas in UK...:yum:.....how many hp in your std engine...???that engine in portugal not even came out in A3...just the 1.6 or 2.0 tfsi- S3, or the 2.0 T....yes i mean intercooler, however you still have the radiator...how do you protect it...??
but my car is darkest than yours...much darkest...almost black...dont know how it would look with all black....
´RC

lol...right....cheap gas in UK...:yum:.....how many hp in your std engine...???that engine in portugal not even came out in A3...just the 1.6 or 2.0 tfsi- S3, or the 2.0 T....yes i mean intercooler, however you still have the radiator...how do you protect it...??
but my car is darkest than yours...much darkest...almost black...dont know how it would look with all black....
´RC
Gas isn't cheap enough over here! £1.35 ish per litre.... the engine in my car is 150bhp..with it being naturally aspirated there isn't much more you can get out of them :( Regards the radiator you can wedge a piece of cardboard down the back but there wasn't much over spray anyway...the colour I have done mine is gun metal grey

Cheers and I like the look of yours, however with my car I'm unsure how it will look! Did you sand down the surfaces or can you just tell me quickly the steps you did and coats you used? Also with this plasti dip.. Is there no going back once it's on? Haha

Gas isn't cheap enough over here! £1.35 ish per litre.... the engine in my car is 150bhp..with it being naturally aspirated there isn't much more you can get out of them :( Regards the radiator you can wedge a piece of cardboard down the back but there wasn't much over spray anyway...the colour I have done mine is gun metal grey
it seemed to me that was black mat....welll, mine will be black...and about the washing??no special cares???or handling??
here a litre of gas with 98 octanes, around 1.85 €, something like 1.54 £...and the one with 95 octanes, around 1.70€ almost 1.45£....so i think here, is quite more expensive....i think...!!but enough of sad talk....lol...have you ever think in a compressor kit...???cheap and with great results...???
RC

Like the look of that, I shall be doing it soon I think and I'll probably take pictures etc

Cheers and I like the look of yours, however with my car I'm unsure how it will look! Did you sand down the surfaces or can you just tell me quickly the steps you did and coats you used? Also with this plasti dip.. Is there no going back once it's on? Haha
Cheers mate and no sanding need mate just spray straight on :) and course you can go back that's the best thing about it! haha it will peel straight off so at the end of the day if you don't like it just take it off and all you have lost is a can of plasti-dip :)
I just gave it a good clean then maybe 7 ish coats till it looks even all over and a good solid colour leaving a few minutes between each coat...its really easy to do mate and leaves a good finish :) good luck and get some pictures up!

I will do mate, going to think about doing it in the next few months i think. With a holiday coming up and other car issues i have to priortise! :( but pictures will be up once done! thanks for the help :D

I will do mate, going to think about doing it in the next few months i think. With a holiday coming up and other car issues i have to priortise! :( but pictures will be up once done! thanks for the help :D
No worries mate don't thing my pictures show off much but everytime I look at my car I thing yeah it defo looks better hahah worth it as its a cheap but effective mod :)

HI everyone....this weekend put myself to work....and here it is the result....hope you like as much as i do....definitely, i love te dark style...
waht do you say....?
Uploaded with ImageShack.com

?maybe the next step should be the rims.....?no?

Ahh I can see it now, looks very good!! However I'm abit unsure as my cars a different colour :/ how many cans did you use mate?

i think it will look very nice aswell...because of the diference....dark and light, the contrast.....i use one can...for the logo in the back and the grill around the fog lights...i put four layers in everything.....
RC

glad you like it.....next step...leon fr lip....and maybe plasti dip the rims in the same color..and go on full dark style..still dont know, i´m afraid that may become to "heavy"....maybe you can leave me some opinions.....here´s a profile photo.....
Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Twin grill a3 8p's look good with black grill imo

imo - in my opinion

Reactions: TDI140
Here's mine, I think it makes a big difference with the car being black

wrapped the lower horizontal chrome of the top grille, and used 7mm chrome strips to join the two grilles, that's all, and it cost £1

How do u remove the badge and chrome surround? So I can spray them

Last edited: