Sudden Loss of oil in engine.

Rupert Barnes

Reaction score
Evening,
Have 2006 2.0tdi A3 sportback 107,000m. Normally on the 20,000m service the oil lasts but sometimes at around 18,000 the fuel economy shoots up for one tank and then the engine sounds more rattly then normal and then the oil light comes on. The oil used is the correct oil. Why would this be, does the oil suddenly fail ?

Except this year when the car was serviced 5000m, in Feb, but the above pattern just happened, after just the short time.

Have had other diesels over the years and have all acted differently. And I do not normally have to keep topping up. There are no leaks and no noticably bad things comming from exhaust, MOT in march. Quite a mix of motorway and country road driving but I dont race or go mad on motorway (Dont hang about though)

Should I worry ?

Evening,
Have 2006 2.0tdi A3 sportback 107,000m. Normally on the 20,000m service the oil lasts but sometimes at around 18,000 the fuel economy shoots up for one tank and then the engine sounds more rattly then normal and then the oil light comes on. The oil used is the correct oil. Why would this be, does the oil suddenly fail ?

Except this year when the car was serviced 5000m, in Feb, but the above pattern just happened, after just the short time.

Have had other diesels over the years and have all acted differently. And I do not normally have to keep topping up. There are no leaks and no noticably bad things comming from exhaust, MOT in march. Quite a mix of motorway and country road driving but I dont race or go mad on motorway (Dont hang about though)

Should I worry ?

bad pcv,blocked breather or turbo seals possibly.

Welcome to the site.

I wouldn't even leave the engine oil to 20k ever, 10k is the safer bet, given how oil is the life blood of the engine to stop wear, better to change it more often.

To clarify, you're saying the engine oil light has come up after 5k?

If so then maybe it wasn't filled as much on last service, just top it up & see how it goes from there.

I've had my 2.0TDI for 4 years and it loves to drink oil. I do a lot of miles though. I think it's normally

What I am also interested to know is regarding the life of the synthetic oil and the sudden fall off of protection. Would it be fair to say that at some point the structure can fail, either due to wear or temperature ? and this is what pushes up the MPG, by 20%, as it gets burned away ? My engine oil does not go down slowly, it always happens in this way.