Chris NottBadger5
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By coreythorny
  • 2 Post By coreythorny

Thread: Wax recommendations

  1. #1
    Stol1975's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    227

    Wax recommendations

    Well the car cleaning season is truly upon us and its time to clay, polish and wax. I know some of you are quite ocd/anal about the detail of your car so I'd be interested to hear what you guys use and what your prepared to pay for that glossy finish?

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Great Melton Norfolk
    Posts
    1,346
    I have started using Burts boyz products,their spray Wax really makes any metallic pop and window cleaner and trim gel are both awesome.

  4. #3
    coreythorny's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    418
    This is mine after Megs 205 then 105 with orange then white pad on a DA. Followed by jetseal and DodoJuice Purple haze.


    Not happy with the finish at all, it's a deep shine in shade but in direct light the wax hasn't left a nice finish.

    So redoing it tomorrow, going for the same polishing process followed by Blacklight, jetseal, Petes 53 then a wipe down with V7 Hybrid.
    i will do a video/pictures tomorrow for you mate.
    wuta3 likes this.

  5. #4
    MrLapou's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    1,209

  6. #5
    Stol1975's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    227
    Sounds intense lol but I'll look forward to that even tho your pic still looks damn good.

  7. #6
    Kelza's Avatar
    MODERATOR

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    2,538
    Ag hd wax gets good reviews ,my favorite wax is swissvax shield ..

  8. #7
    coreythorny's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    418
    It all depends what you're after, a quick easy finish or try and remove any surface damage or even use fillers.
    Applying by hand or machine.
    Budget.

    Them with wax it's budget, wax or sealant, how long you want it to last etc

  9. #8
    Kelza's Avatar
    MODERATOR

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cumbria
    Posts
    2,538
    Cg black light is a good product , also gtechniq c2v3 and carpro reload all great sealants and very easy to use ,spray ,wipe and buff off....

  10. #9
    coreythorny's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    418
    With VAG paint being like polishing a stone, if you were to go about polishing by hand you'd have little to no hope in removing swirls. Therefore you'd want a decent polish with a load of fillers but still some devent abrasive properties.

    If I were to go about it by hand, the full process I'd use would be:
    Snow foam/pre wash.
    2 bucket mmethod
    fallout/iron/tar remover.
    Clay.
    Pre wash as above.
    Dry.
    Polish with Gtechniq P1.
    A coat of blacklight.
    A decent sealant or wax, the likes of Jetseal or Supernatural hybrid are some of my favourites at the minute.
    Final wipe down with a quick detailer.

    Obviously add in wheels/trim as you please.


    If its by machine let me know and ill re-write accordingly.

  11. #10
    wuta3's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Manchester/Sheffield
    Posts
    1,040
    Quote Originally Posted by coreythorny View Post
    This is mine after Megs 205 then 105 with orange then white pad on a DA. Followed by jetseal and DodoJuice Purple haze.


    Not happy with the finish at all, it's a deep shine in shade but in direct light the wax hasn't left a nice finish.

    So redoing it tomorrow, going for the same polishing process followed by Blacklight, jetseal, Petes 53 then a wipe down with V7 Hybrid.
    i will do a video/pictures tomorrow for you mate.
    Sweeeet mercy! That's a good lookin pic. Better order a DA sharpish. I'll add a +1 for Dodo juice purple haze tho. Lovely stuff. Smells good too. Wonder why you didn't get good results, provides a nice deep shine on my phantom.
    ​​Programmer/Web Developer, Headphone/Amp Geek
    06 SLine Special Edition Phantom Black 2.0T FSI Quattro A3
    Done: P-Flo, RevD, Sachs Organic, Milltek TBE + Res + Sports cat
    Wanted/Next:Intercooler, HPFP, Remap

  12. #11
    Stol1975's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    227
    Well I'm new to this more detailed cleaning but my baby deserves it. This is what I have done so far.

    I got a halfords electric polisher
    and used maguiars ultimate compound to get rid of swirls. Prior to this I used mags gold shampoo and conditioner. I have used mags clay bar too.
    Though a lot of swirls have gone there are still some there so I've ordered a das6 variable speed polisher and have a few products in the post too, mags mirror glaze 105 and 205 polish also mags gold class liquid polish. I use poor boys wheel polish on the wheels. I'm happy so far but really want to get it looking as good as I can. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370903115.848642.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1370903194.122111.jpg

  13. #12
    coreythorny's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by Stol1975 View Post
    Well I'm new to this more detailed cleaning but my baby deserves it. This is what I have done so far.

    I got a halfords electric polisher
    and used maguiars ultimate compound to get rid of swirls. Prior to this I used mags gold shampoo and conditioner. I have used mags clay bar too.
    Though a lot of swirls have gone there are still some there so I've ordered a das6 variable speed polisher and have a few products in the post too, mags mirror glaze 105 and 205 polish also mags gold class liquid polish. I use poor boys wheel polish on the wheels. I'm happy so far but really want to get it looking as good as I can. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370903115.848642.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1370903194.122111.jpg
    Looks good results mate!

    Id be using a orange pad to cut the 105 on about 4-5 passes then the 205 on a white pad to remove on polish holograms. Hex logic pads are my personal favourite.
    Even with a DA you'll struggle to fully remove the swirls on Audi paint unless you're seriously committed to putting in 110%.
    That's why in gonna try blacklight today after to try and mask the very few minor swirls that remain.
    The Megs shampoo and clay are good kit, same with PB wheel sealant.

  14. #13
    coreythorny's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by wuta3 View Post
    Sweeeet mercy! That's a good lookin pic. Better order a DA sharpish. I'll add a +1 for Dodo juice purple haze tho. Lovely stuff. Smells good too. Wonder why you didn't get good results, provides a nice deep shine on my phantom.
    i popped a link up yesterday with a offer and code for Cleanyourcar, where you can get a DAS6 pro, delivered for £99.95. Saving like £25.

  15. #14
    coreythorny's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    418
    Here's my results from today:



    8 hours in total.
    Bilberry wheels
    rinse
    TRIX applied to wheels, left to do its magic then rinsed.
    Snow foamed
    2BM
    TRIx applied to paint work
    Clayed
    re-washed as above.
    Dried.
    Polished with Green pad and M105 compound.
    Wipe down with IPA
    blacklight applied with black pad.
    Whilst curing trims dressed etc.
    coat of jetseal.
    Coat of Petes 53.
    Final wipe down with V7.
    Brodster and wuta3 like this.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Recommend a cleaner wax?
    By _G_ in forum Detailing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 18th July 2012, 08:40
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11th October 2011, 15:51
  3. Waxing in the hot..
    By noodle in forum Detailing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 13th August 2003, 10:02
  4. Can anyone recommend?
    By Drystone in forum Other Brands & Models
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 26th February 2003, 23:01
  5. Turtle Wax Silicone Blades
    By amoffat in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10th January 2003, 16:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO