Owned A3 for 2 weeks, multiple problems.

money-mike

A3 TDi S-Line
Reaction score
Afternoon all!

I'm new to the forum having just treated myself to a 2007 2.0TDi S-line. Picked her up, absolute peach of a car but since then I've had nothing but problems.

Firstly, on my way to work and the Engine Management light pops up. One of my mates has Vagcom so we hooked it up and it stated a problem with the Mass Air Flow Sensor. Booked it in with Audi who tested the sensor and confirmed that this was not the problem. Infact, the problem was the Tandem pump. You've probably heard it over and over again, oil in the fuel etc etc. Audi state that the Tandem pump, Lift pump & Fuel filter all need replacing along with a full tank, system and igniter clean totalling £1,200!!!

Luckily the car came with a 3 month warranty so I contacted the supplier and he agreed to have his guys take a look. On my way up to the supplier today and I lose a load of power. No lights, no smoke, just a loss of power. My first thoughts were turbo, but I could still hear the turbo whistling so I guessed it had gone into limp mode. I've heard of sticking vanes due to carbon build up which could trip it into limp mode. I've asked the supplier to have his guys strip this down and clean as a precaution.

It's still got about 2 and a half months warranty on it but I can't be doing with driving back and forth to have this guy keep fixing it. Is there anything else worth him taking a look at while he has it in pieces the garage?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Mike!

Attachments

• FB1.jpg
    FB1.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 169
  • FB2.jpg
    FB2.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 138
  • FB3.jpg
    FB3.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 124
Welcome to the site Mike.

The lift pump doesn't need changing at all, filter yes & tandem pump, cleaning, maybe drain the system if it really is that bad, turbo could be, but needs diagnosing properly to ascertain if its over boosting.

If the warranty wont sort it, give me a shout as we can fix it, albeit at a cost, but cheaper than audi & colleagues an audi mastertech aswell :)

Not too far from you :)

The price they quoted is mental.

The price isn't mental, if you have to replace all those parts, but its just questionable if they have to replace all those parts, if so then the price is justified tbh.

Thanks for your opinion NHN. I spoke to the guy yesterday and he says that they have drained the system and can't find anything wrong with it and the car will be ready for collection today. I questioned that fact that there was oil in the fuel and that the tandem pump is the route cause of the problem and the fuel filter will need changing as its had oil through it. He simply said, "The warranty company won't pick up the bill for this".

Starting to doubt whether he will do this under warranty and getting a little pi**ed off!!! I know Audi would want to replace every part affected to cover every eventuality but this guy's saying 'nothing' needs replacing!! I'll fight it until the death but where are you guys based? Just in case it does all go tits up.

Cheers, Mike

agree with sliced.... trading standards.... what these car STEALERS do is buy a car at auction stamp the book and put one of them customer protect 3 month warranties on it.... covers their **** then!

customer protect warranties are good thou...once you know how they work and how to workaround their contracts ect

Return and say you want the car to run correctly or your hard earned cash back... if paid my a credit card contact them and alert them of the situation i got my full money back on a merc i bought a while ago