AH FabricationsSky Insurance
    Reverse Gear

Status

Exclamation Air con not working :(

Hi all,

Just had my air con re gassed as it wasn't blowing cold air, it didn't make any difference. The garage said it could be something to do with the compressor but didn't know for sure.

Anyone got any ideas of things i could look at try before i book it in to be looked at ?

cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yeah could be the magnetic clutch, a pressure switch, number of things, it needs diagnosing visually aswell as diagnostically by someone with experience.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Reverse Gear

Status
    thanks for the reply. Guess im gunna have to put it in to the garage

5th Gear

Status
    my compressor died on 61 plate car after a year of usage. Not good as it was 700 quid job done on warranty luckly for me.
    Be patient. English is tough.

Now:

61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / Milltek Resonated TBE / LOBA HPFP/ GFB DV+ / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /

1st Gear

Status
    Mine is like that, had it regased and it is still the same. I get mine looked at for free at a seat garage. He said the error was a control module fault. He said it could be the actual control unit or a dodgy wire. He is not to sure on the wiring of an audi and has not had time to look at it again.

4th Gear

Status
    Would a code come up? Mine's the same although a bit did leak when I replaced the radiator...so it's probably empty.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport AUM K03S|Second owner|Forge 007p|CM TIP|Yellow Dogbone|Pipercross panel
    To Fit - Decat then Mapping WANTED: Audi A4 B7 or MK5 Golf GTi (manual)(Want to Buy December 2014 so Keep Me in Mind)

3rd Gear

Status
    Just a quick question how cold is it supposed to be when at low? My old Clio the aircon u couldn't hold ur hand to the vent it was that cold. Mine isn't that cold.
    Audi A3 2010 2.0 TDI 140 Black Edition

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    If you give it 5 minutes in the cabin, you'll see it gets fairly cool, as per my car today

3rd Gear

Status
    Well I was expecting the hairs on my arms standing up with the cold lol
    Quick question I don't suppose anyone knows roughly how much audi charge for servicing aircon? Might as well go there as my warranty is out in September and if there is a problem hopefully it will get done on that

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Just tell them it doesn't appear so cold & ask them to check the temp, but it wont be ice cold just enough to chill the cabin, but they can check & probably under warranty.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Just tell them it doesn't appear so cold & ask them to check the temp, but it wont be ice cold just enough to chill the cabin, but they can check & probably under warranty.
    If your suction pipe is sweating/covered in condensation it's fully charged check this with your blowers up full if you we're near me I could put my gauges on to check but sweat on your suction is a good indicator of it being fully charged without getting technical.

also if you have climate control you can see you vent temp,air on and air off etc with vcds.

3rd Gear

Status
    Cheers NHN il do that next week

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
    If your suction pipe is sweating/covered in condensation it's fully charged check this with your blowers up full if you we're near me I could put my gauges on to check but sweat on your suction is a good indicator of it being fully charged without getting technical.
    Cheers Chillout I will check that tommoz, wasn't sure what the aircon temp was supposed to be but seems like an easy check.
    Is there a mileage age guide on aircon recharge and service ie mileage or age or is it run it till it isn't blowing cold air?

Cheers

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbieWebs View Post
    Cheers Chillout I will check that tommoz, wasn't sure what the aircon temp was supposed to be but seems like an easy check.
    Is there a mileage age guide on aircon recharge and service ie mileage or age or is it run it till it isn't blowing cold air?

Cheers
    Well in my opinion garages charge systems up constantly without correctly locating an repairing leaks they just charge with r134a with uv dye the correct procedure in the industry is to pressure test with ofn (oxygen free nitrogen) as oxygen contains moisture a systems worst nightmare shaft seals do have natural losses but these are a few grams a year you can minimise those by running your a/c on a regular bases to keep the shaft seal on the compressor lubricated also when I put my a/c on I dip the clutch so that the compressor starts at idle revs and not 4000 or so just to be kind.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
    Well in my opinion garages charge systems up constantly without correctly locating an repairing leaks they just charge with r134a with uv dye the correct procedure in the industry is to pressure test with ofn (oxygen free nitrogen) as oxygen contains moisture a systems worst nightmare shaft seals do have natural losses but these are a few grams a year you can minimise those by running your a/c on a regular bases to keep the shaft seal on the compressor lubricated also when I put my a/c on I dip the clutch so that the compressor starts at idle revs and not 4000 or so just to be kind.
    Thanks for ur reply bud. Recently my aircon is always on due to the weather.I suppose it's like anything if u don't give it a run once In a while when u go to use it in anger then u find out it isn't perfoming as well

Reverse Gear

Status
    Mine literally just blows warm air. I'd it worth plugin to diagnostics to see if there are any errors?

Neutral

Status
    I've found VAG aircon to be pretty poor compared to others. My wife's corsa gets much colder than both my current S3 and my previous Mk4 and 5 GTI.

Toyota's I've been in could freeze you solid in minutes on full blast.