Volks AutosBadger5
    Neutral

Status

Question Winter Tyres & Wheels

Now i know its only June but the time will quckily come back round to needing winter tyres.

I see Mytyres are doing steel wheels and Winter tyre packages. Ive also been thinking of getting a set of alloys im not too worried about and putting winter tyres on them.

What have other people done for winter wheels & tyre options on thier cars.

My A3 is the 2011 BE 170 quattro TDI.

cheers folks.
    2011 (61) A3 Black Edition 170 tdi Quattro, Brilliant red, Sat-Nav , reverse sensors etc

2007 Honda CRF250

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    I put BBS Calito wheels with Dunlop Wintersport 4D tyres on this year...... it was the first time I used them but the difference, even in just the colder temperatures was night and day...lots more grip in all conditions, fantastic in the snow and quiet as well.

Sold the S3 now so the wheels/tyres are sitting in the spare room ( got an A4 coming ) so if you decide to go ahead, feel free to make me an offer ( pm me.... they'll be a lot less than Audi will charge for steels, will go straight on and look a whole lot better) otherwise I'll just wait until the cold weather returns and sell them then..:-).

Either way, I wouldn't go through a winter without them again.

Neutral

Status
    cheers for that shadowman.

Anyone else.?
    2011 (61) A3 Black Edition 170 tdi Quattro, Brilliant red, Sat-Nav , reverse sensors etc

2007 Honda CRF250

5th Gear

Status
    i got some cheap alloys off ebay and tyres from the cheapest online place
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

2nd Gear

Status
    We own a tyre garage, i'm gonna get a set of aftermarket wheels for summer and wrap the standards in winters for the poor weather.

Although, my last car was a Corsa VXR on Toyo T1-Sport running 250bhp and weighed about 1.1tonne stripped out. Tyres were 225/35/18 and I managed fine in the snow with a bit of gentle driving. So hoping the quattro and Michellins on the S3 will make it a more pleasant journey anyway.

Neutral

Status
    I had Yoko Prada spec 2's on over winter and the quattro system work really well. My street has a slight gradient and i stay about a 1/3'd of the way down. Vans and cars were getting stuck at the bottom of the street and i just cruised on by with no problems.

The good thing was if you wanted a little slip you could before the traction contorl kicked in.

Im just looking for other options. Looking to see if other have gone for steel wheels and winter tyre options from tyre sellers or having standard type alloys and winter tyres on.

2007 Honda CRF250

Bazinga

Status
    Sold my S3 so I've a set of Goodyear ultrgrip performance 8 tyres for sale only bought last November done around 2000 miles they are like new. Let me know if you are interested.
    2012 Misano Red RS3 / Bucket seats Heated front & Rear / Aluminium Styling Pack / Bose / RNS-E / Bluetooth / Mobile phone prep low / AMI / Reversing Sensors / LED number plate lights / Led interior light pack / VCDS / Cruise Control / Exclusive Inlays / Auto Lights & Wipers / 8.5J fronts / extended leather / Michelin Pilot super sport tyres / and a few other things

1st Gear

Status
    mytyres - 16" steel wheels with continental ts830 rubber. Lasted me 3 winters (5 months at a time) in the alps and havent needed to put chains on once

'07 SB 2.0TDI FWD

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer361 View Post
    mytyres - 16" steel wheels with continental ts830 rubber. Lasted me 3 winters (5 months at a time) in the alps and havent needed to put chains on once

'07 SB 2.0TDI FWD
    Ah ok thanks for your input, just what i was looking for. How did you find the mytyres deal..? wheel size spot on etc etc

2007 Honda CRF250

4th Gear

Status
    I picked up a cheap set of 16's from a member on here and put tyres on them. Look on Ebay for some 2nd hand alloys
    Now a happy owner of an A3 Sportback S Line 170 TDI
    My Posh Golf

1st Gear

Status
    I think I paid £615 for wheels and tyre 205/55 16

quite expensive but for the milage I've done in them they have worked out very well.

A Complete Set of Wheels: Steel wheels with winter tyres for Audi A3 SPORTBACK 2.0 TDI - mytyres.co.uk..

Neutral

Status
    I bought a second set of 17" monza's for winter tyre purposes when I had a mk5 GTI and they bolt straight onto the S3.

The alloys were only £100, though they are in need of a refurb.

1st Gear

Status
    second hand set of standard S3 18" wheels and Vredstein Wintrac extremes = an S3 Snow plough...nothing stopped it last winter
    IceHanger
    2011 S3 8P 5DR Black edition,
    2013 TT TDi BE with lots of toys
    Previous Vehicles:
    Audi S4 B6 4DR Big fuel bill edition
    Audi TT TDi S-line Quattro
    Skoda Octavia 4x4 Turbo,
    Skoda Octavia VRS Estate,
    Vauxhall VX220 Turbo,
    MGF VVC,
    Vauxhall Astra GSi,
    Alfa 33 Cloverleaf,