Car upgradge, Engine downgrade?

TaylorK

Reaction score
After selling my 2004 8p1 2.0 tdi with 116k on the clock, I've decided to upgrade to an 8p3.

I've found a 1.6 fsi which I like, with only 36k on it. would I really notice a difference from the 2.0tdi to the 1.6? both in terms of economy and performance?

Thanks

Tbh yes the torque difference is pretty big

I have a 1.6 FSI - I haven't driven a diesel A3, but my previous cars were 2.2 TDCi Mondeo (155bhp and loadsa torque) and a 2.7 Jag XJ TDVi (200 ish BHP and even more torque) and I would say you will really really notice the difference. On the other hand my (now ex) OH said the A3 felt quicker than the Jag (it 100% isn't) because the Jag was so quiet and smooth. On balance I'd say you, like I, will find the 1.6 FSI a bit gutless.

Oh - and economy - my big Jag was way more economical on motorways, esp if travelling over 70 (ahem), but the Audi is better on shorter trips - not sure it would be better than a diesel A3 though - I very much doubt it.

In favour of the 1.6 FSI - chain driven cam so no cambelt changes to worry about, no DPF to clog up, and petrol's cheaper!

Just a quick comparison, a relative of mine has an Audi A4 2.0 TFSI, I have a Audi A3 170 TDI and they're two completely different cars.

The A4 has a really nice wide power range which is nice on country lanes and has a nice subtle engine note whereas my A3 has so much more torque but the power band is a lot smaller so it's not as satisfactory down country lanes as you're always changing gears and trying to keep in that small window of power.

In my personal opinion the 1.6 wouldn't be powerful enough for my liking. If I had more money to waste on fuel I would swap my 2.0TDI for a 2.0TFSI / S3 but as the TDI is a nice balance of torque, power and fuel economy then I think I'll be keeping my diesel for now.

One other thing that's worth mentioning is my relatives A4 isn't great on fuel as it is but if you start hooning it down country lanes then it drops massively, I can empty a tank by driving with a heavy foot in under 200 miles. In my diesel, I'd be getting 350 minimum - so it's a lot more forgiving! So I'm assuming the 1.6 engine would be similar, worth taking into consideration!

If your not bothered about tuning and power increase then just get the 1.6fsi but if u want economy and dirty diesel torque then you know the answer