How does one change the front bulbs?

yak

Reaction score
I tried to use search, I remember there was discussion about changing lightbulbs to some Philips VisionPlus/Osram Silverstar. The thread was apparently destroyed when the database went or search is buggy.

Anyway, how did one change the bulbs? The manual doesn't say anything, and I'm not into going to dealer and pay them for changing to my silvervisions. Does someone have a picture/instructions how to change the dipped lights? Seems kinda tight in the engine bay.

- Yak

Hello Yak, how are you.

I have created two PDF files from the ElsaWin electronic workshop manual showing how the bulbs are changed. Both myself and others on the forum have changed the bulbs OK without taken any of the components out as the manual suggests. It a bit tight but can be done.

Here are the two files:

dipped headlights

main beam headlights

Excellent Dave, thanks for those pictures and the tip. I was hoping to not remove those pieces, and if you've done so.. I hope I can do so as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

And hehe, I'm good, just not so sober while writing this, so allow few mistakes.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Have been a little away for a while, found out my FSI errors were because they had done programming wrong at the Audi Center.. (doh).. so, any better news at your side?-)

- Yak

I did mine with no problems, you just need to remember the bulbs clip in....

Nope, I couldn't, I didn't get light bulb out, there's prolly some weird technic to that. Also, there's no space to even open the clip on the left-side. Maybe there's more space in the 2,0TDI, but there's insanely little space in FSI. No chance to put hand in there.

If its OK on a 3.2 then the other engines should be a doddle ....