Paying For Warranty work?

I

imported_DSGSport

I have just taken the car in to the dealers for a few faults to be looked at. Apparently the DSG oil change is due at 20k and the MultiTronic is at 40k. Can any one confirm this?

Next, I was informed by the service advisor that if/when the faults were found unless they replaced the part, ie if they just needed to tighten a bolt, then it would not be covered under warranty as the car is over a year old or 12,000 miles. Can any one shed any light on the truth of this?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif!!!!!!
Any warranty work, whether it is faulty parts or faulty workmanship is covered FOC. Wear and tear is not covered, but a bolt that has worked loose, was not tightened properly to begin with, so is covered by warranty FOC.

Some dealers will try and take the pi$$ and charge the customer for little items rather than go through the hassle of raising a warranty claim..... every one they win on is one less claim to process.

Thanks for your quick replies. So how would you define wear and tear? (as I am really bad a trying to make a point in these sort of situations /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif ) I do not really want to pay £80 for labour to tighten a bolt in the dash!)

Car is a 2004 54 plate with 21k on the clock.

They are looking at the window rattle on the passenger side, the rattle from the dash, the jumping boot floor, the passenger seat (which will not slide fwd or tilt and slide to allow access to the rear. Oh and also the problem of the car stalling in traffic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Any more help to arm me for the collection would be good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Prepare to pay for absolutely nothing, unless you broke it doing something stupid.

I asked Audi some months ago about the oil change on a DSG fitted to the A3 and they told me it was due at 40k and not 20k. I have recently had my 1st AVS service at 18k and the dealer also confirmed that the DSG oil change on the A3 is at 40k.

Also my dealer is quite happy do any work that's necessary under the 3 year warranty and not charge me at all.

[ QUOTE ]
I asked Audi some months ago about the oil change on a DSG fitted to the A3 and they told me it was due at 40k and not 20k. I have recently had my 1st AVS service at 18k and the dealer also confirmed that the DSG oil change on the A3 is at 40k.

Also my dealer is quite happy do any work that's necessary under the 3 year warranty and not charge me at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just spoken to Vindis Audi (Huntingdon, not the garage I have taken the car to.) They have stated that they recommend the DSG oil change at the mileage they printed on my service sheet (37k) With regards to the warranty work " if any adjustments need to be made on the car the warranty only covers you up to the first service or a year.

Rubbish.
Nuts and bolts should not work loose in the first 3 years of a cars life. You've paid 25k for the car, not 2.5k. Don't back down. Get in touch with customer services if you have to, and explain to them what has worked loose. Wait for the report from the dealer, and explain it to customer services.

I feel the same way so I will see what they say is wrong and go from there. Any one have Audi UK number to hand as all my stuff is either at home or in the car at the dealers.

Thanks for all your thoughts

how can they get away with this? this just enrages me.

Check with Audi UK that they shouldn't be charging for such work then report them to trading standards, let Audi UK know that you will be doing so. Don't take any such excuses as "we clearly have training issues"....

such abuse of power is unacceptable.

Audi UK Customer Service's number is 0800 699888

Audi UK headquarters number is 01908 601000.

As a back up I decided to phone Audi UK Customer service on the number provided (not the headquarters) and they state the same thing. The example he used " if your arm rest is squeaking and a bolt needs to be tightened then it is only covered for 6 months. So they all appear to be saying the same thing. If the car needs adjustments to correct a fault then you are only covered for either 6 months or a year.

Guess its the long wait now till I get the call.

That's p*ss poor if you ask me!

If your seat starts breaking after a year then they're saying they won't fix it foc. Shouldn't start creaking if it was bl**dy made properly.

Agree, f*king terrible service and if i had known that i would have looked at VXR astra or focus ST if i had wanted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif poor service

My seat creaked and they took it apart after about 4 months and 'lubed' it. Outrageous if it comes back within the 3yr warranty period and they expect me to pay.

Likewise, if a wire comes loose in the dash or something was not tight enough or put in the correct place when made and they expect you to pay for them to remove the dash and remedy, that's outrageous.

I can't believe it, surely a 3 yr warranty should last 3 yrs. If something creaks or rattles in 3 yrs and doesn't on everyone elses car, then it is wrong on your car, either through not having been assembled correctly\put in the correct place or not done up tight enough at the factory for example. Why should we have to pay to rectify that.

If that is what they call customer service and build quality, Audi won't be getting my business next time.

Totally agree with you. I will have to see what the out come is tonight IF they phone me to tell me its sorted. Though they will prob wait for me to turn up!. It is seriously putting me off the Audi marque.

Taking this to extremes, if the front wing worked loose after 2 yrs because the bolts weren't tightened sufficiently, they'd expoect you to pay, even if it fell off!

Just spoken to a family member who is a lawyer and he recons they might have a 2 tier warranty ( details probably in the small print!!) that declares the facts stated in previous posts. Sods law all my paper work is in the car at the dealers. Ah well time ticks on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Outrageous though this all is, the posts state "you are only covered for either 6 months or a year".

Is it 6 months or a year?

If they say "if your arm rest is squeaking and a bolt needs to be tightened then it is only covered for 6 months" then they can't have much confidence in their product can they? I thought Audi quality and interiors were legendary.

I could understand if adjustments excluded things like tracking after a given period since you could have hit the kerb yourself so it is not a defect.

However if your seat creaks after 18 months or the dashboard rattles like a bag of spanners, that is a shortcoming on Audi's part and they should fix it foc.

This really gets my goat - though I guess you've probably noticed that by now!

I've had this scenario in the past with a Vauxhall Vectra. Although it had a three year / 60k warranty, squeaks and rattles were only covered for 12 months. Problem was the rattles only started after 12 months! I've never had a car with so many rattles, it was the percussion section of an orchestra on crack.

I took it into the dealer and asked if it was covered under warranty and they said yes. When I went to collect they said no and tried to make a charge. I told the lass at the counter she could keep the f@*king thing and got the Mrs to collect me from the dealer. I got onto Vauxhall HO and to be fair they were very good once I'd mentioned trading standards / Top Gear / 5th Gear etc etc. About an hour later the car was delivered to my house and no charge. Funny that.

The point is all dealers / warranties seem to be the same. Basically Cr@p!

first time i've heard of this and the BMW garage in Bedford that I took my 3 series to kept fixing rattles after 2years, so to did Subaru!

Audi better do the same, shocking!!!!

As with anything, check the documentation presented to you when you bought the car. The wording in the warranty booklet is what forms the warranty aspect of your contract. If there is no mention of a second-tier, short-life warranty for squeaks and rattles, then they cannot impose it retrospectively.

If, on the other hand, there is such a provision in the warranty terms, you are, my friend, in the words of Walt Disney, absolutely Donald-Ducked.

The Audi 'UK Assistance and Warranty Details' booklet provided with my car includes the following wording...

Audi warrants that it will rectify, free of charge, defects in materials and workmanship for a period of up to 3 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The warranty is subject to the following terms and conditions.

There are then various conditions but the main ones include...

Types of damage not covered by the warranty:

Damage not due to defects in manufacture or materials - for example normal wear and tear - is not covered.
Nor is damage caused by improper handling or misuse (as in motorsport, for example) repairs, adjustments and replacements arising from circumstances outside the manufacturer's control.
Non-warrantable damage includes (but is not limited to) the following examples.
Fair wear and tear on items such as brake pads and discs, clutch linings, spark plugs and fuses, carpets and seat covers.
Mechanical adjustments to items such as brakes, clutch and door locks.
Window glass breakages......
Damage to paintwork, chrome trims caused by industrial polution, bird lime, climatic, thermal, chemical or mechanical influences.
Parts which have reached the end of their expected service life.
Defects arising from a failure to have the vehicle serviced in accordance with the Manufacturer's instructions.

So if a problem is not excluded by the above list and is a genuine manufacturing defect or fault it should be covered and I would personally argue very strongly about having to pay anything. I must admit that I have never been asked to pay anything in the past. With some small things it can sometimes make a difference if the dealer doing the work is the same dealer that the car was purchased.

Warranty issues on a car are a nightmare (which is the main reason I wouldn't ever pay for one).
A car is by its very nature is mechanical.
Wear & tear is not covered
So basically they can weasel out of anything claiming its wear & tear.
Therein lies the problem.
I've heard of people having cambelts go at 50k miles and their rock solid Audi warnty not covering them for the engine rebuild. However, I've also seen people get a full engine rebuild with courtesy car, all covered FOC.
It's a ****** minefield.

With the number of rattles and creaks we have on this forum, it'll be interesting how Audi handle them over the next year or so - they could potentially lose a lot of custom. Let's hope dealers are consistent and live up to our expectations.

What REALLY worries me is that Audi Customer Services told DSGsport that rattles are covered for 6 months. This is not what the warranty booklet says at all. Not impressed by this - why is there no consistency and why is everything such a fight with Audi. The Audi brochure in the back says specifically 'you can expect a CONSISTENTstress free experience when in contact with anyone who represents the Audi brand'. I've yet to experience the consistent and stress free element of Audi ownership, I still live in hope.

It should be 'Yes Sir, it shouldn't rattle like a bag of spanners, we'll sort if for you under warranty without question', NOT 'It has worked loose but rattles and squeaks are only covered for 6 months so you will have to pay'.

As I said earlier, I can understand if adjustments exclude things like tracking after a given period since you could have hit the kerb yourself so it is not a defect.

However if your seat creaks after 18 months or the dashboard rattles like a bag of spanners, that is a shortcoming on Audi's part and they should fix it foc. For example, does everyone elses dashboard rattle - NO, their dashboards are ok. Yours is therefore the odd one out and therefore defective, i.e. does not behave as normal\expected. As it is defective they should remedy foc. Simple, you'd hope!

Some mornings I dread getting in my car wondering what I'll find next.......after this thread the comfort that the car is under 3 yrs old kind of fades away if anything starts creaking or rattling.........all I want to do is enjoy the car and know problems including rattles and creaks will be fixed, is that too much to ask Audi?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[ QUOTE ]
With the number of rattles and creaks we have on this forum, it'll be interesting how Audi handle them over the next year or so - they could potentially lose a lot of custom. Let's hope dealers are consistent and live up to our expectations.

What REALLY worries me is that Audi Customer Services told DSGsport that rattles are covered for 6 months. This is not what the warranty booklet says at all. Not impressed by this - why is there no consistency and why is everything such a fight with Audi. The Audi brochure in the back says specifically 'you can expect a CONSISTENTstress free experience when in contact with anyone who represents the Audi brand'. I've yet to experience the consistent and stress free element of Audi ownership, I still live in hope.

It should be 'Yes Sir, it shouldn't rattle like a bag of spanners, we'll sort if for you under warranty without question', NOT 'It has worked loose but rattles and squeaks are only covered for 6 months so you will have to pay'.

As I said earlier, I can understand if adjustments exclude things like tracking after a given period since you could have hit the kerb yourself so it is not a defect.

However if your seat creaks after 18 months or the dashboard rattles like a bag of spanners, that is a shortcoming on Audi's part and they should fix it foc. For example, does everyone elses dashboard rattle - NO, their dashboards are ok. Yours is therefore the odd one out and therefore defective, i.e. does not behave as normal\expected. As it is defective they should remedy foc. Simple, you'd hope!

Some mornings I dread getting in my car wondering what I'll find next.......after this thread the comfort that the car is under 3 yrs old kind of fades away if anything starts creaking or rattling.........all I want to do is enjoy the car and know problems including rattles and creaks will be fixed, is that too much to ask Audi? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

One further avenue is that if your car is leased then whinge at the leasing company - the fleet operations of most manufacturers are incredibly powerful with a tendency to turn 'No' into 'leave it with us sir'......

Thank you once again for all your replies. To try and clear up one point. The Dealer (shall I name them??) that supplied me the car is the dealer doing the work. They are also the ones that stated 1 year or 12k miles. Audi UK stated 6 months.

It got to 5.30pm last night with not a single phone call from the dealer so I phoned them and was told "oh its not going to be ready today keep the loan car (55 plate A4 Avant) and I will phone you tomorrow! So in other words I will have to chase them again!!

Judging by the comments coming back from fellow Audi users it appears that they need to seriously look at the standard of customer service they offer for a so called premium brand. They would be best investing in a premier customer serivce, rather than running a digital TV program or as sponsor for MUFC!
Or is this funded by charging for warranty work! I suggest you ring Audi UK and ask to speak to the MD, this approach will either result in positive action, or nothing and next time you want to replace your Audi I suggest you visit a BMW or Lexus dealer first, to see what customer service is all about!!!

In EU, cars have have 2-year-warranty. Nuts, bolts whatever, they can't legitimately get away from it, even if they have to sell you a new car to tighten one bolt.

Quite simple, and if Audi won't do it, ring to your local consumer-advisor (or such) and they will make Audi do it.

Insane story anyway that warranty work would be charged. And I though Audi service here was bad sometimes..

- Yak

i had loads of squeaks and rattles fixed on my Golf 1.8 T one month before the warranty expired... no questions asked. Everything that I could say has already been said.

Except this, don't take what some (20yr old call centre girl from milton keynes said as gospel. They probably work accross all brands (VW SEAT SKODA AUDI) and they really don't know everything.
I phoned them last week for the official word on Launch Control in a golf GTI, if it was there and could it be used. One person said yes, one said it would invalidate my warranty and three people hadn't even heard of it!!!!!!

Still no update on what they are actually doing to my car or what they have done since 8.30am yesterday morning!!! phoned them about 40 min ago to try and find out when I'm going to get the car back only to be told the person dealing with it is at lunch and he will phone me back! Heard that one before. So looks like I will have to wait for another 2 hours and then chase them again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Getting fed up of this. As I am sure you all are as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Right...just got call from the dealers,car is now ready. They have changed the gearbox oil and lubricated everything door seals boot seals sorted the bump stops out and the seat. Also sorted the dash rattle out. All for the sum of £160 (labour at £90ph) £120 for the DSG oil. So if i hear any sound from any of these areas!! God help me. They wouldn't budge kept saying that it was wear and tear and they have been told to be strict with this issue. Looks like I may go back to Honda after this abismal experience.

Just wanted to say thank you for all your help. Just wish the customer service was as good as this forum!!

That is F /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif G appawling!!!

I would pay the bill then drive over to Milton Keynes and ask to speak to the MD, I nearly drove over there and kicked someone and my car was out of warranty when the engine broke at 60,000 miles!

I can safely say I will never buy another Audi after my experiences and reading your story! I'll be getting a Lexus or Honda next (and a TVR).

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif Disgusted Audi Owner!!!

I'd get that off to auto expresses watchdog mate, that sucks big time!

Thanks... One e-mail sent to Kim Adams.

oh and to rub salt in to the matter most of the faults are still there dash still makes the odd noise what has been diagnosed as the parcel shelf still jumps when going over speed bumps!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif I think I will be taking some test drives very soon! Though all the other makes I am interested in did worse than Audi in the recent survey. Oh what to do.

perhaps its about time Audi had a demo on their doorstep. That should get some good press.

Probably get flamed big time for this but -

I tried to get a petition together 3 or 4 months ago to complain about my rattling drivers window - but had very little response from other forum users. I too think this 12 / 6 month warranty / wear & tear stuff is utter "******" (thanks Bunny).

Problem is, as someone said - Audi love the UK market - probably their BEST European market - they outsell BMW 2:1 - AND we're completely crap at complaining about anything.

Certainly if our restaurants are anything to go by. We sit and eat a pile of utter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif and then meekly say "it was luvvlee - fank you". Then leave a sizeable tip for the slack jawed cretin that spat in your dinner before throwing it across the table at you.

We think the French are all "les onanistes" 'cos they put up with "nil merde". Given - they make crap cars - but /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif 'em off and they demonstrate, or strike or say "non merci" (or as Jeremy Clarkson quipped - set fire to their cars)...

I reckon if all the hacked off owners on this forum organised themselves and presented a petition to Mr. Kevin Rose (head of Audi UK last time I looked) about appalling customer service,
lousy dealerships,
rattles & squeaks,
paint-eating birdshit
ludicrous assertions regarding warranty issues,
and simultaneously presented the same petition to a TV consumer show (Watchdog?) someone would sit up and take notice...

rant over - flame on -

[ QUOTE ]
Probably get flamed big time for this but -

I tried to get a petition together 3 or 4 months ago to complain about my rattling drivers window - but had very little response from other forum users. I too think this 12 / 6 month warranty / wear & tear stuff is utter "******" (thanks Bunny).

Problem is, as someone said - Audi love the UK market - probably their BEST European market - they outsell BMW 2:1 - AND we're completely crap at complaining about anything.

Certainly if our restaurants are anything to go by. We sit and eat a pile of utter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif and then meekly say "it was luvvlee - fank you". Then leave a sizeable tip for the slack jawed cretin that spat in your dinner before throwing it across the table at you.

We think the French are all "les onanistes" 'cos they put up with "nil merde". Given - they make crap cars - but /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif 'em off and they demonstrate, or strike or say "non merci" (or as Jeremy Clarkson quipped - set fire to their cars)...

I reckon if all the hacked off owners on this forum organised themselves and presented a petition to Mr. Kevin Rose (head of Audi UK last time I looked) about appalling customer service,
lousy dealerships,
rattles & squeaks,
paint-eating birdshit
ludicrous assertions regarding warranty issues,
and simultaneously presented the same petition to a TV consumer show (Watchdog?) someone would sit up and take notice...

rant over - flame on -

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds about right, Mr Rose is as safe as can be unless people stop buying the product big time.