Paying For Warranty work?

Perhaps as a starting point we should write to Kevin Rose and suggest he or one of his staff have a look in at this forum to see how 'upset' some of Audi's customers are and ask for a written response before we take in any further.

I am more that happy to write such a letter on behalf of the forum. The fact that I have been an Audi customer and have personally purchased 9 new Audis so far. I personally have no problems with my particular car but perhaps that may have more impact. I would say that I am concerned with the adverse comments being made about the service some forum members are receiving and ask him to look into it and to reply. That way it should not be treated as just another 'complaining' letter and get passed straight on to Customer services, who are not actually part of Audi UK.

I wrote to the MD of Audi UK once in the past about a problem with having ordered a car with the wrong type of seats and I received a reply direct from the MD and he arranged for one of managers to contact me and we sorted out the problem to our mutual satisfaction.

Let me know what you all think.

Yep - don't underestimate the power of the W word. I work for a telco and we collectively sh*t ourselves every time the W word comes up.

Sounds like an excellent idea David - the voice of reason etc. I'm right behind you - figuratively speaking. Sorry to be dim TLU - but err...what is the W word exactly...??

Car stalling in traffic?!?

This happened to me recently too. Makes you feel a right **** but its not you its the carjavascript:void(0)
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I had just come out of the carpark into a queue and the engine was still warming up. The rev counter was bobbling about at idle and I could see it coming before it happened. My Golf was like this from cold when idling but it was a manual so I could give it some revs with the clutch open to calm things down.

Dave

Direct action complaining to the top is a good way of getting actions for individuals.

But the problem is, if he's hit with a general 'Audi Customer Service sucks and so do their dealers' he's got a much bigger problem to solve, which putting a manger onto it, isn't going to solve very quickly. It's too big a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif pie to eat at once.

So my point is, at last, we have to give him a series of problems which can be addressed as individual deliverables (I'm also a Programme Manager by profession, so I talk this way a lot). So a list of specific issues about car problems, e.g. window squeaks, seat mechanism rattles, stalling DSG gearboxes is easier for him to address. The worst problem he has is the state of the dealer network (not all, but a significant part).

So what do we do? Get a list of the main technical problems and examples of where the dealer network fail to uphold Audi values and present it in a well structured letter endorsed by the forum.

OK Dave, over to you? I'm happy to help if you want, although other than the pre-sales process, I don't have any specific technical problems.

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like an excellent idea David - the voice of reason etc. I'm right behind you - figuratively speaking. Sorry to be dim TLU - but err...what is the W word exactly...??

[/ QUOTE ]

We're not allowed to say it at work - it's bad luck. Two words.
1. You put it on your wrist to tell the time
2. Smelly thing that barks and stuff

[ QUOTE ]
I'm also a Programme Manager by profession

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got a Gant chart already, haven't you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Who's on the critical path?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Watch...Wife???

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Watch...Wife???

[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm also a Programme Manager by profession

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got a Gant chart already, haven't you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Who's on the critical path?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmmmmmmm......Gant Chart!!!!!

Critical path would be Audi, everyone wants to criticize them!

[ QUOTE ]
Yep - don't underestimate the power of the W word. I work for a telco and we collectively sh*t ourselves every time the W word comes up.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think you know fear? I used to work for British Gas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As a reasonably long standing member of the forum, I fully support Dave Robinson and am behind him.

He has always been helpful and mature in responses, has a lot of experience and seems the ideal guy to 'represent us'. It will be useful if it only clears up this ridiculous statement re paying for warranty work. And if it is true, perhaps Audi will change it if Watchdog\motoring press get to hear as it will not stack them up well against competitors if mentioned on prime time TV or in the press. Would you buy a car prone to rattles\creaks if you knew you had to pay to have them fixed after 6 months? I think not!

My first Audi has not lived up to my expectations, creaks, rattles, a number of items replaced, some items resprayed, un-necessary wrangles with the dealer....... Some of the time I wish I hadn't bought the ****** thing which is a shame as I could like it a lot. Had far less hassle with a Renault!!!

Found this site:

http://www.audiworld.com/news/05/070505/content.shtml

which says "With effect from 1st August 2005, Jeremy Hicks is appointed Director of Audi UK to oversee the next chapter in the German prestige brand's remarkable UK sales success story. Jeremy, moving from his position as Head of Group Service in the Volkswagen Group UK, takes over from Kevin Rose, who had led Audi UK from 1999 until this year. "

Looks like Jeremy is your man Dave! Would be good if he could see this thread, though of course he'd have to register to see the A3 forum.

Perhaps Jeremy could also explain the alledged comments made by VAG's own CEO that he can't understand why anyone would buy an A3 when they can get an equally good car (sometimes a better one) off the same platform, for substantially less money . I think these sort of comments are utterly contemptuous and perhaps show how little the individual customer is valued.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You think you know fear? I used to work for British Gas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. I still do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

But you ain't see me, right.

Perhaps Audi UK will wake up when they hear the strength of feeling from an independant group of motoring enthusiasts who wanted desperately to be Audi enthusiasts but feel let down.

The hype, image and marketing is fine, but it is not backed up by the dealers and in some cases the quality of the product.

My exhaust now rattles very badly, could be the mountings or could be middle box going - certainly shouldn't do after less than 3000 miles!

And by the way, the contact I've had with Audi Customer Services is far from good in the past. One lady was excellent, others have been a complete waste of time, ill informed and uncaring. As mentioned the other day, so much for the brochure saying "you can expect a CONSISTENTstress free experience when in contact with anyone who represents the Audi brand". Now how many times does someone go to a main dealer with a reasonably common problem (creaking doors, slower\packed up driver's folding mirror, steering rack, rear suspension knock etc...) to be told by their dealer that they are common widely known issues and then others go along to their dealer and get the 'never heard of that sir, it is normal' . Even if that particular dealer has not heard of that problem they should have read the bulletin or be savvy enough to know that some issues are not normal.

When I complained at delivery that my car had scratches (we aren't talking fine swirl marks in the paint here), I was told that was normal and they are all like like it. Audi UK didn't agree (again no consistency between dealer and Audi UK) and the dealer had to back down. The number of issues that got through PDI was poor too in my opinion. I was told mine was a good example!

I really believed I wouldn't have to visit the dealer after buying the car until 2 yrs later when it was due a service, how stupid and wrong I was.

totally agree witrh Dave, when i used to work for a well known mobile phone manufacturer we used to pay a little more attention to a well reasoned letter/complaint over the usual rants or threats.....

think the nice approach is a good start, we can always do a demo drive by if things don't look up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Let me guess, it wasn't Hitchin Audi?

I was actually hoping they would charge you for tightening a bolt. That would have been a helluva headline for Top Gear and the likes!

Top Gear are meant to be driving the RS4 tonight.

Bet they won't be mentioning the comment from Audi UK Customer Service that "if your arm rest is squeaking and a bolt needs to be tightened then it is only covered for 6 months".

Unless of course Mr Clarkson finds a rattle\creak and gets on the line to the dealer immediately.

He would probably explode if his local Audi dealer tried to tell him he had to pay whilst the car is still under warranty!

That would be a classic TV moment and a wake-up call for Audi too.

[ QUOTE ]
Let me guess, it wasn't Hitchin Audi?

I was actually hoping they would charge you for tightening a bolt. That would have been a helluva headline for Top Gear and the likes!

[/ QUOTE ]

10/10 Yes it was Hitchin Audi!!. It wouldn't be as bad if they had actually fixed the faults. I'm all in favor of a polite letter as well.

Nice to see they haven't changed. I just use them for emergencies (none so far, touch wood). They are hopeless. Never EVER ring back; and when you turn up for an appointment then look at you like something the cat dragged in - almost, "What the do you want?!".

They managed to scratch my car the very first time they had a oppo to work on it. Then after respaying the door, the oik that washed and waxed it managed to scratch it again!

I'm not at all surprised you were treated the way you have. Choose another dealer; there are plenty of them in the area. You'd think they would be more concerned about losing a customer. Then again, this is a high population Audi owner area I think. We must be all thick as two short planks to put up with this sort of service.

Just to let everyone know that I have now written my letter to Jeremy Hicks - Director of Audi UK and will be posting it in the morning.

Watch this space.....

[ QUOTE ]
Nice to see they haven't changed. I just use them for emergencies (none so far, touch wood). They are hopeless. Never EVER ring back; and when you turn up for an appointment then look at you like something the cat dragged in - almost, "What the do you want?!".

They managed to scratch my car the very first time they had a oppo to work on it. Then after respaying the door, the oik that washed and waxed it managed to scratch it again!

I'm not at all surprised you were treated the way you have. Choose another dealer; there are plenty of them in the area. You'd think they would be more concerned about losing a customer. Then again, this is a high population Audi owner area I think. We must be all thick as two short planks to put up with this sort of service.

[/ QUOTE ]

None of this supprises me. They treated me the same way when I bought the car. Look at you like dirt etc. But what gets me is if you are willing to spend the best part of £25k on a car you would have thought they would return your phone calls. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Just out of interest Karcsi, what other dealer in Herts would you recommend?

Thank you David, will have to wait and see what happens.

Further to the letter I sent to Audi UK, I have now had a reply. As I expected the reply has come from Michelle Woodworth who is the Customer Serive Manager based in Walsall rather than from Jeremy Hicks the MD of Audi UK.

Below are links to a copy of my letter to Audi and to their reply.

my letter to Audi
audi reply page 1
audi reply page 2

I have just spoken to Michelle Woodworth on the telephone as she assures me than any item that is a genuine manufacturing fault or a faulty component would be covered by the warranty for the full 3 years/60,000miles. The only items that are limited to 6 months are 'ware and tear' items. If there was any problem with this type of item then, although the warranty specifically excludes such items Audi would replace them during the first 6 months anyway.

She also said that if anyone has specific problems with either their car or their dealer to contact her direct and she will look into the matter. The phone number to ring is 0800 699224 or write to her at Audi UK Customer Services, PO Box 400, Walsall, WS5 4XX.

She said that she will arrange for a member of her staff to look in to the Audi-Sport.net forum, but that without specific customer names and registration numbers it will be difficult to follow up complaints from the forum itself.

roughly translated:

thank you for you comments.

the boss didnt think that it was important enough to warrant his full attention past the first line, and gave it to me instead.

as there is no direct compaint, we'll mosey on over to your 'club' and take a peek.

dont expect any more from us,

ta ta,
Audi.

David,

OT, and I don't know how much these things bother you, but you might want to blank out your address just to be on the safe side. I always do, probably for no other reason than mild paranoia.

-L

Thanks little_wing. I'm not too bothered but just to be on the safe side I changed 'my letter' to be a version without my address details.

Thanks for writing on our behalf Dave, much appreciated.

From your chat with Michelle, could you ellucidate on a 3 points please:

1) Can you give examples of the 'wear and tear' items that are only covered for 6 months? I would assume this would be bulbs and perhaps if you complained the tracking was out? (Mind you if a bulb went in under a year it is probably faulty anyway!)

2) Presumably Michelle's comments that you are covered for 3 yrs against any defects in workmanship or materials should therefore mean rattles and creaks are covered? Your vehicle shouldn't rattle, it shouldn't creak, they are defects in workmanship. My seat creaks, does everyone else's seat creak, NO, their seats are ok. Mine is therefore the odd one out and therefore defective, i.e. does not behave as normal\expected and being defective they should fix foc - is this your understanding still Dave?

3) The example that was given to DSGSPORT (thread initiator) by customer services said that 'if your arm rest is squeaking and a bolt needs to be tightened then it is only covered for 6 months'. Can we assume this is wrong advice and it would be covered for 3yrs since a bolt that has worked loose was not tightened properly to begin with, is therefore a defect in workmanship so is covered by warranty foc?

Cheers Dave.

Hi cdb2.

Yes I would say that my understanding is that, if a seat creaks etc, then it's a manufacuturing fault and should be corrected under warranty in the normal way. I would also say the same applies to a loose nut in the arm rest - as opposited to a loose nut sitting in the driving seat !

Wear and tear items are generally regarded as things like tyres, brake pads, clutch linings, bulbs, fuses, carpets etc. Although she did say that they would replace these in the first 6 months anyway, possibly even longer depending what it was.

Basically anything that can be attributed to a faulty component or faulty workmanship during manufacture should be covered by the 3 year/60,000 mile warranty.

The only problem with rattles is that if it's a major rattle that happens all the time and is obvious to anyone who drives or rides in the car then there should be not problem. But if it's one that only the drive can hear when he's tuned in to it and is not obvious to the technician when he goes out with you in the car then there may be more of a problem.

I did have a seat rattle at one stage that would always do it on the way to the dealers, but as soon as the technician came out with me it stopped. In the end he said let me try in with only me in the car. As soon as he came back he said Yes I see what you mean. It was a problem with the passenger seat and as soon as he sat on it when we went out together it stopped. It was cured by replacing a seat runner on the passenger seat.

That's great Dave, thanks.

As it would appear DSGSPORT was charged to fix his rattles, there looks like a pretty good case for him to write to his dealer for a refund.

I agree. I would never have paid for such a fix whatever the dealer said.

Maybe, but her name is Woodworth and not Woolworth.

Ok, I have now written a letter to Michelle at Audi UK with all the information she needs to look into this matter further.

A big thank you to David for taking the time to write to Audi UK with regards to this matter.

Also thank you to the people that posted on this subject.

Cheers

Matt.

Sorry to raise this thread again but its now 10 days since I sent the letter to Audi UK (Michelle Woodworth) Still no letter in response. Looks like I am going to have to start chasing Audi UK as well as the dealers!!

dont be sorry DSGsport. The point of this thread was to get action from Audi, which by the looks of it has been in short supply.

10 days is a joke. Re-write the letter, address it to the director, stating your concerns over the lack of communication from michelle and post it recorded delivery.

You should of at least had a confirmation of receipt of your complaint by now. Most companies will acknowledge receipt of complaints within 2 days.

If you re-write the letter and address it to the MD it will just get forwarded to Michelle Woodworth again.

Probably better to telephone here on 0800 699888 and ask if she has received your letter and when you can expect a reply. The call will cost nothing and get a quicker response than another letter. It may be that she is waiting for a response from the dealer.

[ QUOTE ]
If you re-write the letter and address it to the MD it will just get forwarded to Michelle Woodworth again.

Probably better to telephone here on 0800 699888 and ask if she has received your letter and when you can expect a reply. The call will cost nothing and get a quicker response than another letter. It may be that she is waiting for a response from the dealer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the point, if she gets handed a letter from her director that she should have responded to, its embarassing for her.

I personally wouldnt use the general customer services help number more than twice if i found them unhelpful (which to their defense, i never have). Its not a straight through number, so its use is limited.

Even if she is waiting for a response from the dealer, its customary to acknowledge such requests, and keep the customer updated.

Maybe, but the people who open the post will pass on the letter not the MD. I'm sure he has much better things to do. He will only know about it if Michelle decides to send him a copy of her reply. Remember these are two different companies in different locations in the country. Audi UK contract out their Customer Service to another company based in Walsall in the Midlands whereas Audi UK are based in Milton Keynes.

If you use the freephone number and ask to speak to Michelle personally you will be put through. If she is not available she will ring you back as soon as is possible. That's what happened when I rang her following her reply to the letter I sent on behalf of the forum. She rang me back in about half an hour.

If you ring Audi UK at Milton Keynes on their normal number of 01908 601000 their operator will transfer you to Customer Services anyway but you will be paying for the call.