2010 Audi A3 2.0 TDI @ 147,200 Miles --- Should i buy it?

turneradam93

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been offered a 2010 Audi A3 2.0 TDI @ 147,200 miles with full audi service history, company car up and down the motorways, looks awesome no marks or signs of abuse!

Ill probably do 10k a year in it but i will only keep it for a year...

Audi say its good to buy with its service history, what do you lot think???

Cheers,
Adam

Potentially a good buy, Shouldn't pay more than £7,000 depending on specs though.

Could have turbo issues so be careful, thats a lot of mileage in 3 years lol

Just reread that, resale is going to be a bit off an issue in a years time though.

Heres the listing description:

YOU ARE LOOKING AT A LOVELY 2010 59 REG A3 SPORTBACK SPECIAL EDITIONS BLACK EDITION 1968CC TDI 6 SPEED MANUAL DIESEL 5 DOOR HATCHBACK.

THIS CAR HAS ONLY HAD 1 OWNER FROM NEW AND COMES WITH AUDI MAIN DEALER SERVICE HISTORY HAVING BEEN MAINTAINED TO A VERY HIGH STANDARD ALL ITS LIFE. I ALSO HAVE ALL THE ORIGINAL OWNERS MANUALS AND SPARE KEY AS IT CAME WITH WHEN NEW.

FINISHED IN A VERY MODERN AND SOUGHT AFTER WHITE WITH A CONTRASTING HALF LEATHER S LINE SPORTS INTERIOR FINISHED WITH A SILVER EFFECT TRIM, THE CAR LOOKS SUPERB, THE COLOUR COMBINATION REALLY SUITING THIS CAR.

BEING THE S LINE BLACK EDITION MODEL IT COMES WITH A GREAT SPECIFICATION TO INCLUDE:

18" ALLOY WHEELS.

COLOUR CODED BUMPERS, MIRRORS AND DOOR HANDLES.

SPORTS BODY STYLING.

REAR BOOT SPOILER.

XENON HEADLIGHTS.

DAY TIME RUNNING HEADLIGHTS.

HEADLIGHT WASHERS.

FRONT FOG LIGHTS

REAR PRIVACY GLASS.

START/STOP TECHNOLOGY.

DIGITAL DUAL ZONE CLIMATE CONTROL.

HALF LEATHER SPORTS INTERIOR.

AUDI CONCERT CD STEREO SYSTEM.

BOSE PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM.

AUDIO REMOTE.

AUXILIARY INPUT.

HEATED FRONT AND REAR SCREENS.

ELECTRIC WINDOWS.

ELECTRIC HEATED DOOR MIRRORS.

HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE SEATS.

ON BOARD COMPUTER.

12V POWER POINTS.

CUP HOLDERS.

REMOTE CENTRAL LOCKING.

AUDI ALARM/IMMOBILISER.

CUP HOLDERS.

3RD BRAKE LIGHT.

ISOFIX ANCHOR POINTS.

6 SPEED GEARBOX.

AND MANY MORE.

THIS CAR DRIVES SUPERB THE 1968CC TDI DIESEL ENGINE DELIVERS GREAT PERFORMANCE PRODUCING 140 BHP AND IS VERY ECONOMICAL DELIVERING 64 MPG ALSO QUALIFYING FOR THE LOWER ROAD TAX WHICH IS ONLY £30 FOR THE YEAR. THE 6 SPEED MANUAL GEAR BOX CHANGES GEARS VERY SMOOTH, THIS CAR IS A REAL PLEASURE TO DRIVE.

THE BODY WORK IS IN GOOD CONDITION WITH A FEW MINOR AGE AND MILEAGE RELATED MARKS AS YOU WOULD EXPECT.

THE INTERIOR IS ALSO IN GOOD CONDITION.

THE CAR IS OFFERED AT A VERY LOW PRICE AND OFFERS THE LUCKY NEW PURCHASER THE CHANCE OF BUYING A GREAT LOOKING ECONOMICAL VERY WELL MAINTAINED 1 OWNER 2010 AUDI A3 SPORTBACK SPECIAL EDITIONS BLACK EDITION 2.0 TDI DIESEL AT A BARGAIN PRICE. REMEMBER THIS CAR WAS £22,365 WHEN NEW JUST OVER 3 YEARS AGO.

So how much do they want for it?

It's a fairly standard Black Edition spec, no extras.

10k, having a laugh.

Paid 8k for my 2006 with almost every optional extra and 63k on the clocks!

I bought a 2008 1.4 TFSI for £5995 full of extras so that 8k for the 2006 sounds expensive! Can you get a 2010 2.0 tdi black edition with a third of the mileage for that price? Would love to find one...

Avoid it! For 10 grand you can get a 2007ish diesel for 7grand with half the miles? Don't pay more cash for a car just because the number plate says its new :)

Sounds like you've already made your mind up.

I bought a 2008 1.4 TFSI for £5995 full of extras so that 8k for the 2006 sounds expensive! Can you get a 2010 2.0 tdi black edition with a third of the mileage for that price? Would love to find one...
Who said 2010? & you have a 1.4 A3? Cool.

Im after the new shape with a tdi engine with s line spec or i might as well stay with my current 2008 A3 so i need to go 2009 or newer, that one just happened to be for sale at a good price with bad miles...

When I buy a car I rightly or wrongly always buy the car based on how easy it would be to get rid of it when i've had enough of it. I'm looking at whether the engine is popular (cheap to run), the mileage and what I anticipate putting on the car and also the colour as you don't want a colour that's not popular (I had a superb condition green MK4 golf that people didn't want because of the colour)

Yes its a Black Edition but with that mileage you will struggle to get rid of it for sensible money.

When I buy a car I rightly or wrongly always buy the car based on how easy it would be to get rid of it when i've had enough of it. I'm looking at whether the engine is popular (cheap to run), the mileage and what I anticipate putting on the car and also the colour as you don't want a colour that's not popular (I had a superb condition green MK4 golf that people didn't want because of the colour)

Yes its a Black Edition but with that mileage you will struggle to get rid of it for sensible money.

Thanks, im thinking about going to Audi and getting on there Approved list!

You can get one with lower mileage for less than £10k

Petrols aren't worth a fart in today's world, expect to pay a few grand more for a diesel, and tbh with the price you have in mind it's not even worth looking into audi's. go buy a skoda if you want a cheap new diesel, either that or go for something older

147k fsh... Now that would be a lengthy read to see all the work that's been done. Bodywork looks in pretty good nick :)

looks nice.
hit that price till it hurts coz that's what others will do when you come to sell and that's probably what he did to get that car.
I recon he paid £7500 or less for it.

Heres the listing description:

YOU ARE LOOKING AT A LOVELY 2010 59 REG A3 SPORTBACK SPECIAL EDITIONS BLACK EDITION 1968CC TDI 6 SPEED MANUAL DIESEL 5 DOOR HATCHBACK.

THIS CAR HAS ONLY HAD 1 OWNER FROM NEW AND COMES WITH AUDI MAIN DEALER SERVICE HISTORY HAVING BEEN MAINTAINED TO A VERY HIGH STANDARD ALL ITS LIFE. I ALSO HAVE ALL THE ORIGINAL OWNERS MANUALS AND SPARE KEY AS IT CAME WITH WHEN NEW.

FINISHED IN A VERY MODERN AND SOUGHT AFTER WHITE WITH A CONTRASTING HALF LEATHER S LINE SPORTS INTERIOR FINISHED WITH A SILVER EFFECT TRIM, THE CAR LOOKS SUPERB, THE COLOUR COMBINATION REALLY SUITING THIS CAR.

BEING THE S LINE BLACK EDITION MODEL IT COMES WITH A GREAT SPECIFICATION TO INCLUDE:

18" ALLOY WHEELS.

COLOUR CODED BUMPERS, MIRRORS AND DOOR HANDLES.

SPORTS BODY STYLING.

REAR BOOT SPOILER.

XENON HEADLIGHTS.

DAY TIME RUNNING HEADLIGHTS.

HEADLIGHT WASHERS.

FRONT FOG LIGHTS

REAR PRIVACY GLASS.

START/STOP TECHNOLOGY.

DIGITAL DUAL ZONE CLIMATE CONTROL.

HALF LEATHER SPORTS INTERIOR.

AUDI CONCERT CD STEREO SYSTEM.

BOSE PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM.

AUDIO REMOTE.

AUXILIARY INPUT.

HEATED FRONT AND REAR SCREENS.

ELECTRIC WINDOWS.

ELECTRIC HEATED DOOR MIRRORS.

HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE SEATS.

ON BOARD COMPUTER.

12V POWER POINTS.

CUP HOLDERS.

REMOTE CENTRAL LOCKING.

AUDI ALARM/IMMOBILISER.

CUP HOLDERS.

3RD BRAKE LIGHT.

ISOFIX ANCHOR POINTS.

6 SPEED GEARBOX.

AND MANY MORE.

THIS CAR DRIVES SUPERB THE 1968CC TDI DIESEL ENGINE DELIVERS GREAT PERFORMANCE PRODUCING 140 BHP AND IS VERY ECONOMICAL DELIVERING 64 MPG ALSO QUALIFYING FOR THE LOWER ROAD TAX WHICH IS ONLY £30 FOR THE YEAR. THE 6 SPEED MANUAL GEAR BOX CHANGES GEARS VERY SMOOTH, THIS CAR IS A REAL PLEASURE TO DRIVE.

THE BODY WORK IS IN GOOD CONDITION WITH A FEW MINOR AGE AND MILEAGE RELATED MARKS AS YOU WOULD EXPECT.

THE INTERIOR IS ALSO IN GOOD CONDITION.

THE CAR IS OFFERED AT A VERY LOW PRICE AND OFFERS THE LUCKY NEW PURCHASER THE CHANCE OF BUYING A GREAT LOOKING ECONOMICAL VERY WELL MAINTAINED 1 OWNER 2010 AUDI A3 SPORTBACK SPECIAL EDITIONS BLACK EDITION 2.0 TDI DIESEL AT A BARGAIN PRICE. REMEMBER THIS CAR WAS £22,365 WHEN NEW JUST OVER 3 YEARS AGO.

When did Audi start fitting heated front screens.I didn,t think they did I may be wrong(ford only I think).

Hi all, if its any help i have a A3 56 plate 170 TDI with 172000 miles and it still drives like a dream.

Never understood why people always think "Motorway mileage" is a good thing. Yes sure, for a diesel motorway mileage is good because DPF on VAG is a major problem but whenever I see motorway mileage all I see, and think is oh great that's an engine that's been absolutely destroyed being ragged up and down the M5 etc. If you look at most motorways in the UK these days people are averaging 80-90mph. I would never buy a engine that's done that mileage thats had to continously put up with that sort of stress on the engine.

Just my 2 pence worth.

I am involved in Rotating Machinery Reliability and a machine which has been run at constant speed and temperature is likely to last far longer than an identical machine which has been stop, started and used on a cyclic basis.

I would therefore never shy away from a high motorway miler providing it has religiously had its oil changed and been maintained to the highest standard. The thing that gets high milers is perishable items such as shockers, bushes, springs, and general interior wear and tear. I bet the brakes don't need doing !

However each to their own and some prefer to go for low mileage cars which have pootled around the shops and driven by some old lady. Personally I think these cars ask for trouble as the engine will have hardly ever reached its optimum operating temperature. My old man does this in his Astra which is a 57 plate and has 17k on the clock. He has just had to have a new exhaust as his old one rotted, he basically never burnt off the condensation from when starting it from cold as he is never in it long enough. There is a lot to be said about giving your car a a quick run down the motorway once a week to get it up to temp and clear the Sh!t out of it.

Therefore each to their own and the only way to truly decide on whether a car will be reliable with high or even low miles is to know its full history. Not always possible and buying any used car is a calculated gamble to some extent.

As for the original post. I used to drive 50k miles a year going to and from Aberdeen every week. Therefore this car has probably had a similar life for the past three years. No reason why it will not be reliable as my golf GTI was but he needs to do his homework and the garage is no doubt taking a punt trying to sell a car like this for 10k. I personally don't think it's worth a penny over 7k which is probably what the garage picked it up for at a fleet auction. If he did buy it I wouldn't plan on selling it and would just run it into the ground for the next 10 years

Reactions: c_w
Never understood why people always think "Motorway mileage" is a good thing. Yes sure, for a diesel motorway mileage is good because DPF on VAG is a major problem but whenever I see motorway mileage all I see, and think is oh great that's an engine that's been absolutely destroyed being ragged up and down the M5 etc. If you look at most motorways in the UK these days people are averaging 80-90mph. I would never buy a engine that's done that mileage thats had to continously put up with that sort of stress on the engine.

Just my 2 pence worth.

An engine that runs mainly on the motorway is a much better bet than ANY type of driving. Sat at 90mph all day is a TDI's dream.

The engine, water, oil etc is kept constantly up to temp, practically zero clutch wear, no suspension wear on smooth motorway.

The way I look at it it's revs that kill an engine not just miles so I would rather have motorway miles diesel sat at a constant rev range than a lower mileage that could have been up to redline and back may of times. Even though a motorway car could of been its less likely been on motorway all the time.

Put it this way you would never see a car that has driven round town for 200k miles as good as a 200k motorway car. The round town car would have lots more different parts fitted from new compared to the motorway mileage car.

If you have cash why not try BCA dealers buy from there all the ex lease thought i had i good deal on my s line sporback phantom black Oct 58 reg facelift with 54k miles £10500 excluding charges as i had a dealer bid for me.

If you have cash why not try BCA dealers buy from there all the ex lease thought i had i good deal on my s line sporback phantom black Oct 58 reg facelift with 54k miles £10500 excluding charges as i had a dealer bid for me.

That is a good price but can't really be compared with anything someone on here can get as the dealers will only be looking to buy from there at a price where they can make a good profit so you can probably add 2/3k on to your price if bought from a dealer.

Not sure if it helps but I bought my 2007 2.0TDI 170 S-Line Quattro with literally every extra that was available on that spec sheet (including random **** like the homelink that i'll never use), it had 79k on the clock and I paid 6k so there's absolutely no way I would buy that for 10k!

Reactions: sliced
^^^ Geez the prices have come down haven't they!!

The auction suggestion should be a good bet as every A3 I looked at about 3 or 4yrs old was an ex-lease/company car in good condition, they were all well-serviced with recent brakes (dealers love changing brakes and charging the lease companies accordingly).

Not sure if it helps but I bought my 2007 2.0TDI 170 S-Line Quattro with literally every extra that was available on that spec sheet (including random **** like the homelink that i'll never use), it had 79k on the clock and I paid 6k so there's absolutely no way I would buy that for 10k!

****** good buy there! Wheres the pics? :D