2.0tdi quattro turbo removal

audinbroke

Reaction score
hello new to site. have been side browsing though. can anyone tell me if I can remove the turbo from a 2.0 tdi Quattro,similar to the two wheel drive version? I have been under and it looks like fun to do :-( thanks....

Welcome to the site.

Well the turbo can be removed, whether or not you can do it, who knows as we're not aware of your skillset/level.

Reactions: MrLapou
Manifold bolts, oil feed pipe, boost hoses, intake hose, egr pipe, its not and easy job unless you have a ramp, plus car needs oil drainin and pil filter change if changing turbo and definatly needs change if old turbo has blown up, also replace all gaskets so theres no air leaks

I can do most engine jobs. just looks difficult to remove, compared to a front wheel drive because of additional four wheel drive system. I can take propshaft off no problem. its the lack of room to work and remove the turbo out from the back and take down and out ? just need to know if someone has done it? tried searching internet. only front wheel drive answers......

Can remove prop or driveshaft.

Funking nightmare with Quattro! Lol

I gave up and sent It to a garage lol if you've got plenty time and a ramp you'll be sound but don't even try with it on the floor.

Good luck :)

20131124 12321720131201 13485920131201 134315hello. I went ahead in the summer. got the car on 4 axle stands on the drive. removed the propshaft,the exhaust (which is fun:ohmy:) and pipework. there seamed very little play on the turbo shaft, so I just filled the exhaust side of the turbo with oven cleaner. also I tried to soften the rear rubber donnut on the rear of the propshaft, as this had the vibration problem seen on here with many quattros. got it all back together and? still police siren noise and prop vibration.....so just last week removed everything again plus the turbo this time. stripped the turbo down to the centre cartridge. replaced this with a mallet version. stripped and decoked the vnt rings. cleaned and checked the intercooler pipes. so all back together with new gaskets ,oil feed pipe and new rear propshaft donnut. it all seams ok. no police silence noise. no propshaft vibration. ALL DONE ON THE DRIVE ,ON 4 AXLE STANDS .

Last edited:
Reactions: aqibi2000, autolatry, Jack_tdi and 2 others
Sorry to jump in, slightly unrelated;
Audinbroke. How did you plan to soften the propshaft damper? I have this problem (vibration) and had wondered if this was possibl because new ones are over £300. Send Pm if you don't want to hyjack the thread.
On the Turbo issue, I had over boost codes on my TDI Golf years ago and did the oven cleaner thing but used Innotec which is actually meant for the job, had the car for 4 or 5 years after and no issues.

tried to soften the donnut with a mixture of wd40 and leather horse tack glycerine . it soften the rubber bit still had the vibes. got the part from audi stoke 290 inc delv.

Well done ! You a far more patient man than I ever will be! good job and you've probably saved a fortune!

nice work mate ,, what did you mean by mallet version?

cheers foxy

This might sound like a stupid question but from the sounds of it, you have to take the propshaft off to get at the turbo, is this right?

My turbos about to go + I need to get rid of that horrible vibration that the propshaft donut is causing! So was thinking I could get them both done at the same time!?

malett are a uk company that produce centre core assemblies for turbos. medium price. mine cost £204.

yes propshaft out.it splits in two. but if you want to change the rear donnut get it all out. its the exhaust that's the b*****d to get out. not to bad to undo,but to manoeuvre out over the 4 wheel drive bevel box.

I drive a citroen c2 vts, and ride an aprilia rsvr... I have sons that's why im eeer. sorry....

Reactions: foxymk1
I stripped the turbo centre core down today. I wanted to see what kind of damage there could be? the reason I pulled the turbo, my son let the oil get to low. to lazy relying on his dash warning gauge, instead of using the dipstick... when I received the new centre core there was the same amount of play as the damaged one? had me worried for a while. now I know why there is play between the shaft and the bearing. the engine oil acts as the actual bearing. that's why you should always let your engine idle before you switch your engine off and let the turbo stop spinning. the only damage I could see was some blueing on the turbo shaft. there are kits to rebuild the centre core too.

Attachments

• 20131209_191708.jpg
    20131209_191708.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 329
  • 20131209_191725.jpg
    20131209_191725.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 258