Confused over TDI Oil

Andyc567

Reaction score
Just spent an hour searching these forums for info on oil that can be used in a TDI 140 (BKD)..

I have just bought the car, my first Audi after a couple of SEAT TDI's (PD 130's) and have just discovered Audi's long life service thing.

I need to get a stamp for an oil change every 6 months to maintain a 3rd party warranty (long story), so I was wondering if I could use the same VW505.01 that I used to use in my SEAT's based on the fact I will be having it changed every 3,000 miles (I only do 6k miles a year). Obviously I want to use a recommend decent oil, but it would seem to me that the long life stuff would be a waste.

The manual talks lots about the long life service thing and says they recommend VW507.00 for the long life (upto 2 years, 19k miles).

So do any of you guy's not use the long life oil and change more regularly in your TDI 140's ?

I would be extremely interested.

Thanks guys.

A lot of people don't use long life, castrol edge 5w30 is the oil.

I believe national tyres so an oil and filter change for about £40 all in so a bargain as to buy oil yourself is around that

Well if its ~£40 just for the oil. Then they have to buy a filter and still have room for profit/labour/consumables. Do you really think they are putting top oil in?

It was on a thread about an hour ago people was discussing it. And a member is a former manager and confirmed it

It does sound a little far fetched tbh, how can they profit out of £40 supply/fit of oil & filter, that's impossible unless they bought a million litres bulk lol.

Just went on to National Tyres website and it's £38.70 for my oil and filter to be changed. I did notice this little bit of small print though;

'Some vehicles may require the sump tray to be removed in order to carry out an oil change. If required a small labour charge may apply which we will discuss and agree with you in branch before any work is carried out'

Maybe making a bit of money from that labour charge?

Just went on to National Tyres website and it's £38.70 for my oil and filter to be changed. I did notice this little bit of small print though;

'Some vehicles may require the sump tray to be removed in order to carry out an oil change. If required a small labour charge may apply which we will discuss and agree with you in branch before any work is carried out'

Maybe making a bit of money from that labour charge?

Even then it's only a minute job, mine doesn't have one anyway

In National Auto Centre now.. Gezzer conformed they use Castor Edge 5W30 oil, although watching them pour it in now from a big jug thing, so it could actually be anything?

I posted this in another thread, but thought it was also worth posting here:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Been into my local National Auto care centre and had an oil change today..

They say it is Castrol Edge 5W30 and I have no reason to not believe them..

Only thing I will say, is watch the paperwork !!

The reason I had it done is that have only just bought the car and the 3rd Party warranty (not Audi) states that I have to have an oil and filter change every 6 months or 6k miles.
To make it difficult, they also say that the invoice has to state my name, address, Reg num, mileage, and have labour and parts itemised separately, and have a registered VAT number on it.

Herein lies the problem with National if you book on line..

For a start, your booking confirmation page on the Internet is actually your invoice, but guess what, no name or address, no reg number, no mileage, no individually listed parts (just says Oil and filter) but it does have Vat number.

I discussed this with the geezer in National and he did print off an advice note which had my name, address of National Web site Sales (why?), reg number, mileage, but no VAT number, or Pricing information.
He said that is the best he could do as I booked it online, and that he wouldn't of normally offered any paperwork at all !!

So, it would seem that the paperwork maybe borderline as to whether it will count towards the Warranty that I have.. Sounds like I may have to seek out another Oil and filter change in 5 months, which will still be inside the 6 months since I bought the car.

If you are thinking of using National for a similar reason as me, please just bear this mind.

Other than that, fairly efficient service, I watched the job being done, deffo new filter, but Oil was from a giant jug, could of been anything !!