Monster MotorsportBadger5
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SAiLO

Thread: Where has my oil gone?

3rd Gear

Status

Where has my oil gone?

For some reason my oil has disappeared. I cant see any sign of leaking underneath or on the floor. Around my oil cap has oil on (where the rubber plug is) but nothing on the block.

It doesnt seem to be burning oil and the is no more smoke than any normal diesel (2004 2.0 TDi).

I have topped it up and will see what happens.

Does anyone have any ideas to what is going on?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    It must be one or the other mate.

Dropping is the obvious one to spot so if you can't see anything, my guess is burning.

Post up how much is gone in what time period and we'll have a bit more of idea of what you're faced with.

In awe of VCDS

Status
    How much have you lost?

I know some cars are prone to using more oil than others, but Audi say that's normal.
    If you look in the handbook, the acceptable amount of oil usage is something ridiculous like up to 1 litre per thousand milles!
    A few years ago at work we had five 2.0TDi A3's and three of them used oil, to the point that we always kept a litre of oil in the boot in case the light came on while driving.
    It could just be one of those things, depending on how much you're using of course.
    Now: 2010 A3 SB S-Line Black Edition 2.0TDi 140CR. Panther Black
    Retro'd: Black S-Line badges | Private Plate | Come home lights activated | Fogs as corning lights activated | Hill hold assist activated | TPMS (via VCDS) activated | 3.5" s/s tailpipe | LED interior lighting.

Gone: 2007 A3 SB Sport TDI 140. Dolphin Grey

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by J3NKO View Post
    It must be one or the other mate.

Dropping is the obvious one to spot so if you can't see anything, my guess is burning.

Post up how much is gone in what time period and we'll have a bit more of idea of what you're faced with.
    Ok i will do thanks. I only really get smoke on a cold start up but not plooms of it.My coolant dropped too but has been at the same level for a couple of weeks now.

Quote Originally Posted by danb986 View Post
    How much have you lost?

I know some cars are prone to using more oil than others, but Audi say that's normal.
    If you look in the handbook, the acceptable amount of oil usage is something ridiculous like up to 1 litre per thousand milles!
    A few years ago at work we had five 2.0TDi A3's and three of them used oil, to the point that we always kept a litre of oil in the boot in case the light came on while driving.
    It could just be one of those things, depending on how much you're using of course.
    I do about 500-600 miles a week so i guess i'd use more than normal but i checked my oil level about 1-2 weeks before and was all ok. Most of it disappeared over that time i guess. Just worrying me a little!

1st Gear

Status
    My car has been using a lot of oil recently, i have found out the reason for this is because the turbo is on its way out. Apparently the oil will get into the turbo because of the play in it, then when you start it up the oil gets burnt. Does it struggle to start sometimes on a cold engine?

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy53 View Post
    My car has been using a lot of oil recently, i have found out the reason for this is because the turbo is on its way out. Apparently the oil will get into the turbo because of the play in it, then when you start it up the oil gets burnt. Does it struggle to start sometimes on a cold engine?
    Thanks for the reply.

No quite the opposite. Always struggled to start when the engine is warm. Never been able to diagnose the problem. Changed battery etc but to no avail.

Enthusiast

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWillyStyle View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

No quite the opposite. Always struggled to start when the engine is warm. Never been able to diagnose the problem. Changed battery etc but to no avail.
    Have you tried replacing your starter motor?
    VCDS USER

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SAiLO View Post
    Have you tried replacing your starter motor?
    No i havent, that was going to be the next thing i was going to try. Why would the temp affect the starter motor?

Enthusiast

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWillyStyle View Post
    No i havent, that was going to be the next thing i was going to try. Why would the temp affect the starter motor?
    Quick search reveals a number of threads describing the warm start problem.

Here for instance:

Starting problems when engine is warm
    VCDS USER

3rd Gear

Status
    Ah right thank you. I did use the search about 4-5 months ago but it didnt bring anything up useful for me. Thanks!

Enthusiast

Status
    No probs, hope you get is sorted fella.
    BigWillyStyle likes this.
    VCDS USER

Shark Performance In Scotland

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    Just as a ball park figure buddy.....Audi reckon that 1L per 1k miles is average consumption.....thats on an S3 though so I would of thought being a diesel they may plot it having a higher consumption rate. We all know that is ridiculous but on several visits for oil consumption this has been the reply.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/DTUK/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/TPI/VCDS/V-Maxx/Vossen/Wagner

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodster View Post
    Just as a ball park figure buddy.....Audi reckon that 1L per 1k miles is average consumption.....thats on an S3 though so I would of thought being a diesel they may plot it having a higher consumption rate. We all know that is ridiculous but on several visits for oil consumption this has been the reply.
    Fair enough maybe its fairly normal then. Think i just got a shock when my light came on and when i last looked i had over filled it a little

Neutral

Status
    is this true a litre every thousand mile? anyone?

Enthusiast

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s-line style View Post
    is this true a litre every thousand mile? anyone?
    That's what audi regard as normal.
    Varies depending on the car.
    VCDS USER

3rd Gear

Status
    After filling it up a couple of weeks ago it has used about a 1/4. So thats half the capacity (or so), in about 1000-1100 miles. Thats not good!

Neutral

Status
    That does seem like quick burning.

I'd do as suggested and replace the cheapest thing first, namely, the starter motor as this won't hurt.

The point made above about the turbo is valid too and I've been thinking this about my 2.0TFSI but its an expensive job to sort unless you're pretty hands on.

c_w
    5th Gear

Status
    Mine doesn't use any between changes (about 6-7k) on a 122,000mile 170PD.

1st Gear

Status
    My 140 Golf went through occasional phases of drinking oil. Feeling on VW forum seemed to be it was something those engines did and that it was not indicative of anything failing.

The Golf actually had a handy cubby hole in the boot which seemed to be designed to hold a 1 litre bottle of oil. Other users confirmed that when the cars were new they were indeed delivered with a 1 litre bottle in the hole.

4th Gear

Status
    It may sound stupid but u wudnt believe the amount of people ive met that do this. Are u checking the oil levels when the car has been sat for a while? Eg, first thing in the morning or after an hour or so after use. Ive met loads of ppl who check after its been running and cant figure out y the the levels low. U can only check the oil when its all in the sump for a proper reading. However, driving style and lots of mileage can contribute to quick oil consumption.
    2006 Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line 8P2 PD170 - Dolphin Grey Metallic - The problem child
    1994 VW Golf VR6 - Mystic Blue - The money thief
    VCDS User

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by J3NKO View Post
    That does seem like quick burning.

I'd do as suggested and replace the cheapest thing first, namely, the starter motor as this won't hurt.

The point made above about the turbo is valid too and I've been thinking this about my 2.0TFSI but its an expensive job to sort unless you're pretty hands on.
    Yeah i think i'll get the sarter motor done at the start of July. Gets a bit annoying when people are around and they're expecting it to not start when they hear it struggling!

Quote Originally Posted by chinnyhill10 View Post
    My 140 Golf went through occasional phases of drinking oil. Feeling on VW forum seemed to be it was something those engines did and that it was not indicative of anything failing.

The Golf actually had a handy cubby hole in the boot which seemed to be designed to hold a 1 litre bottle of oil. Other users confirmed that when the cars were new they were indeed delivered with a 1 litre bottle in the hole.
    I have extra oil in my boot too just in case. Its just strange as there are no symptoms to suggest that there is anything wrong. Other than what is stated above and that it has a slight surge of revs when in a low gears now and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidhu88 View Post
    It may sound stupid but u wudnt believe the amount of people ive met that do this. Are u checking the oil levels when the car has been sat for a while? Eg, first thing in the morning or after an hour or so after use. Ive met loads of ppl who check after its been running and cant figure out y the the levels low. U can only check the oil when its all in the sump for a proper reading. However, driving style and lots of mileage can contribute to quick oil consumption.
    Haha yeah i always check it in the morning when its all settled mate. Think i'll have to drive even more like Miss Daisy now ha!