New s/motor fitted - but now wont start..help needed..!

jinxybbc

Reaction score
My 2004 A3 Sportback tdi would sometimes after a run fail to start once stopped. If left for a while it would start.
So had taken advice and decided to change out the starter motor, this wasnt to bad although the bottom bolt was a bit tough.
---
However now fitted and all back together but when I try and start it, it makes a strange noise, a werrrreeeeing sort of noise as if something is turning but not the engine...any ideas or help would be great as at a bit of a loss on this.
--
Everything went back like for like and the starter was the same bought new of ebay so pretty cheap.

Thankyou Todd

Sounds like the solenoid isn't engaging the starter into the flywheel teeth and the motor is just freely turning.

Put old one back in & tesat again, if its ok then new starter fault.

Can always open it up & check if anythings come out of place, but if its new & you want to retain warranty cover for rma, then leave it alone & get replacement.

Don't know what the motor you have is like but you can also try swapping the solenoid over from the old to the new if it isn't sealed but it's quite possible that the solenoid was causing your previous non-starting problem.

It turns out they had sent me the wrong starter ! So put the old one back in and started no problem.

But my problem will still exist im sure, every now and then after a run of say over 40mins, the car will sometimes not start after turning engine off. It will engage but only slowly as if flat battery, but batt test ok, only slightly down on one cell, batt 9yrs old though.

So do I go for the right starter or just try a new battery and wait and see?

All help is appreciated
Thanks

Could be heatsoak, so get the correct replacement & fit/test.

Yes could be heatsoaked as pointed out by NHN, but a 9-year old battery should be a worry. You may find that it is better to change the battery anyway, before it gets any older. Also check and clean both battery terminals, plus the car battery grounding connection.