Going to the Essen Motor Show?

Think yourself lucky mate, cant believe we haven't even got a proper motorshow in the UK this year... always my favourite day out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Well, boys and girls, let me tell you: Essen is a brilliant show!

First off, all the big tuners were there, with huge stands (Brabus, Carlsson, Bilstein, KW, etc. etc the list goes on and on..) and there was a straggle of smaller, lesser-known ones too.

Getting to meet owners/engineers of different firms was an enlighteneing experience, as many of them were very open to discussion. I got to personally meet and discuss the design of Bilstein PSS9s with one of its conceptive engineers, and then I met the owner of KW. That helped me make up my mind on the choice of coilovers: KW V3s

a73cdb91.jpg

Of course, there were also manufacturer's stands, such as Audi's, with some interesting displays like this 2.0TFSI engine:

201de91d.jpg

This years' exibit "Nurburgring Fascination" had some top historic autos on display, from the 20s throught the 80s...

All in all a wonderful trip, especially the ride home to southern France via Nice's twisty mountain roads, on the new suspension:

A3pics-CO047.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

nice one, looks like you met everyone at the top of the tuning game!

Yes, it was tremendous fun for an automotive geek like me. Taking apart a Lambo's gearbox with the egineer that designed it was just amazing. Having engineers openly discuss their design choices was very special.

Let me upload some more pics for ya ;-)

Having problems uploading...

In the meantime, here's a 450hp HGP-turbo R32 for sale, with uprated suspension, brakes and wheels: 34000€

9c96e455.jpg

d3fy,

This one greeted me right at the entrance. It is one of the very few Maserati built for privateers (homologation specials). Despite the already full-race "I have a license plate-believe in miracles" spec, the owner saw it fit to have it made even more powerful and even more wickedly handling. Said owner wil no doubtedly park it next to his new FXX. Ahem.

Mr Edo, of same named racing services took care of fitting an even racier set of cats, remapping, and fitting KW external reseroir double-adjustable coilovers.

While standing (towering) next to this beauty, talking with the super-nice and knowledgeable motorsports tech from KW, Mr Edo got in the conversation about the Maser to end all Masers... This full-on race shop owner was so friendly, aproachable, and precise in his engineering explanations, that my appreciation could only go up exponentially when, smiling like a mischievous kid on Christmas eve, got in it and fired it up. Holy Bejeezus!!! Ever been to an F1 paddock!?

He was told never to do that again during the show.

DSC_0163.jpg

Just look at that engine, that chassis...! Fathom the inspiration, the work that went into making this beauty! Hey those coilovers look familiar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DSC_0016.jpg

And here the AutoUnion that went head to head against the Silver Arrows in some vicious races around the 'ring... No seatbelt or other protection. Instead, massive reservoirs front, rear and on the sides, full of highly explosive fuel...

Supercharged horses in the 600s, drum brakes, and tires with a small pinky-toe's "footprint".

ESSEN2005day2196.jpg

Enjoy,
Ben.

edited for pics

Care for an A4 while we service your A3? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DSC_0094.jpg

Nice curves /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

DSC_0186.jpg

Want more?

Yup keep sticking them up! I can sit and look at the nice metal all day. The old Audi is superb!

Top pics Ben, and sounds like the trip was well worth it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm getting seriously envious of your car too - you'll have to give us a full report on the KW V3s

-Lou

envy envy envy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif think i'm going to have to load up my car next year and head of to europe for some shows, great to see some new metal, i haven't seen since the last uk motorshow was held

Here's a beautifully executed full NISMO race prepped 350Z. Magnetic-clutch Novidem centrifugal supercharger is what caught my eye. They have an R32 kit in the works, A3 3.2 can't be too far away...:

ESSEN2005day2010.jpg

Lou, as soon as I've corner-scaled the coilovers and played about with the compression and rebound settings, I'll do a full report on the V3s. What I can already say is that despite how low it is, very bumpy roads taken at full song are not a problem.

In every aspect, body movements have been minimized, making for very secure handling. Freeway sweepers can be taken with absolute confidence. Braking from 120mph in a turn yields absolutely ZERO ***-undulation (if ya know what I mean).

As it stands, I am running the KW recommended settings, which are oriented towards safe slight-understeer.

Anyways, back to Essen, and I promise a full review on the V3s a bit later.

Here's the world's fastets 4 door sedan. Brabus. V12. Twin Turbo. 1200NM of torque. 220mph (or something like that). Nice:

DSC_0231.jpg

One of the things that makes Esen so special is the juxtaposition of modern exotica and classic sports cars. Given a choice between the aforementioned Brabus and this speeder, I would take the latter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif :

ESSEN2005day2033.jpg

No, it was packed. I only took pics when I had a clear shot with few people in the background.

The most popular exhibits were the bling tuners' stands.

Those aloys sux on the A3, and what the hell is a Grumpert Appollo, I will have two please.