Coolant warning light playing up

immo

Stop me
Reaction score
Sometimes when I start the car the "coolant level low" light comes on the dash, but when I check under the hood it's fine and hasn't moved. Turning the car off and on again solves the problem until next time.What could this be? Some sort of faulty sensor?

Grab a flat headed screwdriver, open the coolant reservoir, making sure its not boiling hot, scrape the 2 prongs a bit & then see if it returns.

Scrape the prongs whilst they're in the tank? As can't see a way of taking them out. The coolant is also well above the max limit, is this an issue?

Last edited:
Yea whilst there in the tank, I had the same issue over the winter and this solved the problem, seems quite common on the 8p.

How far above the max line, pics would help, but is this when cold or after usage?

How far above the max line, pics would help, but is this when cold or after usage?

Well it's over half way up the tank, whereas the max limit is more like quater way up I think?

I do believe it's regardless or whether it's been run or not but I'll confirm in the morning before I go to work, along with a picture. I'll have a go at scraping the top of the prongs as well.

Scrape the prongs whilst they're in the tank? As can't see a way of taking them out. The coolant is also well above the max limit, is this an issue?

Yep, when the engine / coolant is cold just use a screw driver or something to scape them by putting the screw driver in the hole with the lid off. I had problems with my coolant and this was a regular suggestion that solved the issue for many people in the past. The sensors in the bottle send a signal to the car's computer to tell it if the coolant is low, sometimes they get a build up around them and then the sensor plays up. that's why people suggest trying to clean them with a screw driver first.

If that doesn't solve it, you can get a new coolant bottle for about £20 - £30 from Audi, I bought one to replace mine but I can't remember the price of the top of my head. If you get to that stage it's not that hard to fit it yourself.