Servicing

audigex

Reaction score
Hey guys

Just a quick question, if anyone has their handbook to hand or just knows off the top of their head: I'm not near my car so can't check.

My car (A3 2.0 170 TDI Quattro Black Edition) is 14 months/17,000 miles old and is due an oil change in 1,600 miles and a service in 1,900 according to my DIS. Which service would this be, and would it come under the Audi fixed priced servicing? If not, approx how much should I expect it to cost?

Cheers

So would I, but I'm not sure if that's the one I need :)

Only thing ur paying extra for I see is a air filter ( if needed) and a diesel filter for the full service. Go for that the next time and interim this I reckon :)

If I was you, I wouldn't follow the regime as such, stick to every 10k to maintain the engine better.

NHN that's probably a fairly good idea - although I haven't really had the option so far. Would that suggest that a major/full service would be the better option for me now, followed up with a minor service in 12mo/10,000 miles and then major/minor every 12mo/10k?

You'll also find your Haldex is due a service shortly too

Isn't the Haldex every 40,000 miles?

Yep Haldex is longer than that, I think the book says 38k.

I had mine serviced the other week, it was part of a service pack I was given with the car so didn't cost me anything, but I was similarly confused about the difference between the "oil change" and the "service" as the long life service includes and oil change...

I have to say, BMW's service indicators are a huge improvement on the Audi ones, with theirs you can tell exactly what component needs servicing and when.

I have a feeling it used to be 20k... I'll probably split the difference and do mine at 30k, I think it's only about £100 anyway.

I may well do that too, if I move to the 10k servicing. Thanks chaps.

I agree with you Governor, it should really tell you more info of what's needed. The Audi site talks about major/minor services, but my service book (I managed to dig out a PDF) only mentions a 19k service and some things which need doing at 38k. I'll just ring around and see what they say.

Cheers chaps

If you find out what the "Service" indicator covers I'd be interested, I couldn't work it out form the book that for sure.

According to the book the oil service isn't a separate item, so I can't understand why the car shows it as being so.

I'm at home, so if there's something you want to know from the book ask away :beerchug:

I believe the service indicator just shows up 19k miles/2 years whichever occurs first - that's certainly what it appears to show on mine.

The oil change is slightly odd as it's showing about 400 miles less than the service. Whether it measures the viscosity of the oil or something and is more sensible, or just uses a similar number of miles, I don't know. I'll let you know which service I end up getting.

Edit:
Just phoned my local dealership and they've quoted me £311.68 for the service, after taking my registration and mileage. So it looks like they just do a "major service" according to the website. I'll probably fill that in with a minor service every 12 months/10k from now as NHN suggests.

Last edited:
It's all a bit unclear isn't it?

If you decided to have the oil done separately, the rest of the service is just a load of visual checks I think, so why bother even paying them to do it..?

If you decided to have the oil done separately, the rest of the service is just a load of visual checks I think, so why bother even paying them to do it..?

Stamp + Oil = £159!

Coming to my car though - It had major service by previous owner around 6K miles back which included cambelt change too so next service is not due until Next year or another 14K miles. I've never had my cars go past 7-8K miles for service so this is uncomfortable to me. Would you guys say it's OK to take it upto 12-13K after major service rather than 18K recommended by Audi?

I'd have thought you could just have an oil/filter change at the 12-13k mark myself...

Get the dealer to do it then? The book doesn't really show you what's been done anyway most of the time...