JMB RetrofitsMonster Motorsport
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BurgoS3

Thread: Audi S3 cam chain failure

Reverse Gear

Status

Audi S3 cam chain failure

Hi all this is my first post on here so I'm sorry if something like this has been posted before. I recently bought a 2007 S3 with 77000miles on it with full Audi service history. It had also had a new turbo, clutch and flywheel 500 miles before I got it. It was from a private dealer who offered me 3 months warranty for the engine and gear box. After having the car 6 days the car seemed to stall and then the dreaded 3 tone oil pressure light came on, I pulled over straight away and it sounded like someone had swapped my engine with a tractors one.

I called the dealer and he arranged for a low loader to come and collect the car the next day and said that he would honour the warranty and we both suspected it was the oil pump. After 2/3 days of trying to contact the garage I got through to them to be told the cam chain had snapped and I was told that they where going to put a reconditioned engine in. I told them I was sceptical about this but they can go ahead with it and if I'm not happy with the paperwork or anything I'd be wanting my money back. I was told the new engine would also come with 12 months warranty. I called the garage a couple of days ago for an update an they told me that they have been unable to find an engine so they are reconditioning the original one. Which I would prefer as I know the history etc, has anybody had an engine reconditioned then had problems after it. I'm thinking of walking away from the car, does anybody have any advice on this from the legal side of this, it's now 3 weeks since I bought it

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Welcome to the forums.

I am not 100% sure about legal side of it and I'm sure someone here will be able to shed some more light on that. My view is that even though they are honoring the warranty, I would walk away from it unless they are going to Audi for it. I only left a high spec and slightly lower miles A3 from a private dealer because he had done the cambelt himself and this is exactly why I didn't go for it. All the best.

Rarely neutral

Status
    Hi there and welcome.

Sorry it's on this sort of note that you've joined!

I wouldn't personally have a problem with a rebuilt engine IF its been done properly by someone who knows what's he's doing.

Pistons,rods,valves etc can all be seriously damaged by cambelt failures and this needs to be done well.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    Hi there and welcome.

Sorry it's on this sort of note that you've joined!

I wouldn't personally have a problem with a rebuilt engine IF its been done properly by someone who knows what's he's doing.

Pistons,rods,valves etc can all be seriously damaged by cambelt failures and this needs to be done well.
    ^^^ what he said

1st Gear

Status
    Does the S3 have a cam chain or a cam belt???
    2009/2010 | Audi S3 Black Edition Ibis White | Black Optics Pack | Fully Loaded | S-Tronic

Short Back

Status
    I'd be tempted to walk in all honesty!

I once had a "New" engine in a (non Audi) previous car - installed by a main dealer! They did a job a cowboy would be proud to hang his hat on, scraped paint, damaged exhaust pipes then charged me for new Cats (x3), fubar'd the water pump (which blew itself apart a week after the car was returned), damaged the bulkhead sound-proofing so badly they threw it away and neglected to replace it - until I complained.

It was a nightmare experience I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, you've only had the car a week so there shouldn't be any emotional attachments, get your money back or choose a different car from the same dealer if you wish - But I personally wouldn't accept it in your shoes.
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

1st Gear

Status
    Yeah I would be +1 on the money back, cambelt should have been done after 5 years max, if it was my motor I would have done it way before too, to me it says the car hasnt been very well looked after
    2009/2010 | Audi S3 Black Edition Ibis White | Black Optics Pack | Fully Loaded | S-Tronic

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    I'd be asking for my money back.

Within a week of owning a car it suffers one of the most savage failures it can suffer. It might be bad luck but... uh uh... I'm not interested, money back please. Cheers.

6th Gear

Status
    +1 Money Back please and walk away.
    Ron
    Audi A3 8P2 2.0Tfsi S-Line Special Edition Bluefin

3dr Mauritius Blue || Full Leather|| BOSE || MFSW || Auto Lights/Wipers || Auto Dim Rearview Mirror || Heated Mirrors
    Mods: S3 Aluminium Pedals || S3 Vents || 2010 RNSE || OEM Bluetooth || Dension Gateway 100 || MY09 Rear Lights || Single Xenon Headlights

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydav2306 View Post
    Does the S3 have a cam chain or a cam belt???
    Both. Belt between crank and exhaust cam and chain between exhaust and inlet. Been a VAG 16v trick for years.

is a retronaut

Status
    +1 for a refund. It's just not worth the risk.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    +2, refund me please.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

5th Gear

Status
    Refund.

Plenty of other cars to choose from.
    Audi RS3

Foursprung Duck Technik

Status
    Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your woes.

I was in the same boat as you when I bought my S3 (albeit not as unlucky), however the warranty plus a goodwill payment from the dealer paid for the issues to be rectified.

You are well within your rights to reject the car, IIRC you have 6 months to do this. If the dealer refuses get on to Trading Standards via the CAB (citizen's advice) for breach of contract as the car really is not fit for purpose If you paid part of the asking price (deposit perhaps) with a credit card, then you can also use Section 75 to claim back your money.

Good luck.
    MY'09 S3 Sportback |Gloss Black Mirrors |Buckets |Black Optiks |Open Sky |Light & Rain Sensor Pack |CH/LH Lights |RNS-E & No Highs No Lows it must be Bose |

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bmh.01 View Post
    Both. Belt between crank and exhaust cam and chain between exhaust and inlet. Been a VAG 16v trick for years.
    My MK2 16v has both, must be one of the 1st ones.

I'd be getting my money back personally!
    Now:
    TTS, Leon Cupra R, MK2 Golf GTi 16v BB 3dr & MK4 Golf "GTi" 2.0 8v

Past:
    S3 8P3
    A3 2.0T
    S3 8L REVO
    306 Rallye
    Impreza STi8
    Leon Cupra R REVO
    S3 8L REVO
    Impreza T2000
    306 Rallye
    MK3 Golf GTi 8v
    & more in between

5th Gear

Status
    if they cant provide a new engine then walk away bro. Good luck!
    Be patient. English is tough.

Now:

61 Audi S3 BE S-Tronic Ibis White: Build Thread.
    / Black Edition pack (SatNav, Bluetooth) / Parking Sensors / Tinted windows / piano inlays and finish / Cruise Control / Interior light pack /
    /Mods: REVO Stage 2+: Revo Intake / BCS Powervalve TBE system / LOBA HPFP / Crystal Clear H11 FOGS / Black roof + spoiler vinyl wrap / H&R Anti-roll bars / Superpro ALK /

Rarely neutral

Status
    If you decide to stick with the car,I'd have a very close look at the terms of the warranty,and find out exactly what you are entitled to in terms of the engine,and either replacement or "fixing" it.

My biggest concern would be that you don't know the quality standard that they will be working to,or what parts they will use,and the longer this drags on,the poorer the chances of it being sorted to your satisfaction.

S3 8P engines are hard to come by used,but there is at least one on ebay right now,and on most occasions I've looked,so I'm not sure they tried awfully hard on that score.

3rd Gear

Status
    I'd take a refund and walk away
    Ibis White A3 Sportback Black Edition.
    2.0 TDI (170) Quattro
    Pics

Reverse Gear

Status
    So I agreed with the dealer that the original could be reconditioned. The engine was sent away and came back and was fitted to the car, no less than 7 weeks after it broke down. Upon start up in the garage oil pissed out of the head, the gasket had been incorrectly fitted. I have now walked away from the car and have received a full refund. So the hunt for a s3 begins got around 15k to spend, hopefully better look second time around
    Artimus likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    Don't go to mk motors derby then but I don't suppose lightening strikes twice.

Short Back

Status
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

1st Gear

Status
    Money back and walk away. If you leave it too long you'll lose your right to walk away from the sale.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Going looking at a car on Friday, luckily I've had a bit of a windfall from work and have been able to up the budget to 20-22 k so I'm able to find one still under manufacturers warranty

Reverse Gear

Status
    At least you've emerged from the deal with a refund AND some additional money to spend via the windfall.

I've been in a similar situation previously (with a car requiring a total engine rebuild... not a windfall, unfortunately), and in my experience, if things aren't handled correctly (in my case, the garage could have given John Wayne a run for his money), the whole situation can become all-consuming and very, very stressful.

Enjoy the hunt for a new motor and good luck.

1st Gear

Status
    You will get a good one for that money thats for sure.

Just out of interest what are the common causes for the 3 tone oil pressure light? Is it just lack of servicing?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Well I'm back on the road and have to say I'm even more delighted than I would be with the car that I got, 2 years old, 3 door black edition with 13k on the clock. Ill post pics soon