Quattro Tyres

buttons89

Reaction score
Hello!

For my first post I'm probably about to kick up what seems to be an ongoing uncertainty around Audi forums!

Got myself a MY10 A3 Sportback 170PS 2.0tdi quattro BE just over a month ago and I've just noticed these cracks on both rear tyres on the tread/sidewall transition and circumferentially on the inside tread groove. Running Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 225/40/R18 92Y. I am uncertain of the tyre usage from the previous owner or what comes as standard on these models, however the car was barely used by the previous owner (12k miles when I received it).

Wondering what people's thoughts are on this, advice with changing tyres on quattro systems with regards to changing axle pair/all 4 corners, different brands front/back, recommended tyres? Will probably be going to a local tyre shop to get a quote at the weekend :(

Any help will be much appreciated. Will hopefully get round to a happier hello post with some nice pictures in the near future!

P.S. Very good forum.

IMG 05581IMG 05591IMG 05601IMG 05621

welcome to the forum, tyres crack like that with age, there are date stamps on the tyre as follows
Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire

just get them changed, you've said your self the car has had little use, and the tyres have clearly been on much longer then the tread would have lasted if they were in constant use. ive seen worse but its a mot failure as far as I understand.

this isn't a common problem to this car or any per-se, just a common problem for tyres as a whole.

just change all four as there all old by looks of it

edit, looking at the pictures, the tyres were manufactured week o of 1990. so the tyres are 13 years old.

Contact Bridgestone with photos & see what they say.

I use Vredestein Sessanta's atm, good on wet & dry, the latest versions are called Vorte's iirc.

edit, looking at the pictures, the tyres were manufactured week o of 1990. so the tyres are 13 years old.

Think you mean 23 years old, which would maybe explain why they have gone this way, but I cant see it somehow on a 2010 car, I doubt it.

Wondering what people's thoughts are on this, advice with changing tyres on quattro systems with regards to changing axle pair/all 4 corners, different brands front/back, recommended tyres? Will probably be going to a local tyre shop to get a quote at the weekend :(

You are supposed to change tyres per axle on the A3.

However I had my car MOT'd today and my 2 front tyres are on different wear rates (1mm difference). As both were replaced at the same time I think we can assume a few mm out on each tyre isn't going to be a problem!

That's not the date stamp in the pictures, is usually just 4 numbers and nothing else.

My friend had the same problem with Bridgestones fitted to the rear of his Honda Accord, less than 3 years old & cracking very bad.

could be part worns or what ever that were put on it, who knows. any thing is posible.

the date stamp is there right next to the dot stamp

unless thats the 9th week of 00 which i guess would match up to the cars age.

i guess if it hasnt had use it can crack up from no heat cycles

Looks like week 40 2009 to me :-/
Do you seriously think they made Potenza RE050's in 1990 :banghead:
They will be the originals, just get them changed out for peace of mind.
I wouldn't want to go any further than the shops with them on tbh.

Reactions: NHN
What the mileage on the car as they may be the originals as those tyres were fitted at the factory from new in 2010....

Hello!

For my first post I'm probably about to kick up what seems to be an ongoing uncertainty around Audi forums!

Got myself a MY10 A3 Sportback 170PS 2.0tdi quattro BE just over a month ago and I've just noticed these cracks on both rear tyres on the tread/sidewall transition and circumferentially on the inside tread groove. Running Bridgestone Potenza RE050A 225/40/R18 92Y. I am uncertain of the tyre usage from the previous owner or what comes as standard on these models, however the car was barely used by the previous owner (12k miles when I received it).

Any help will be much appreciated. Will hopefully get round to a happier hello post with some nice pictures in the near future!

P.S. Very good forum.

View attachment 16189View attachment 16190View attachment 16191View attachment 16192

What the mileage on the car as they may be the originals as those tyres were fitted at the factory from new in 2010....

12k miles ;)

i guess if it hasnt had use it can crack up from no heat cycles

I used to know someone who said certain tyre dressings were really bad for the rubber. May or may not be true.

We used to have a Jag with 30 year old tyres on it. Car had only done 18k and only failed on the tyres when one of them ruptured. Go figure!

Thanks for the replies. There has been a tyre change at some point as the fronts are newer and in better nick, DOT codes 4611 and 3012.
IMG 0802 IMG 0804
Any more thoughts on recommended tyres etc?

I don't know but I was told by the lads that do the tyre changing for Audi near where I live that if there is a 1mm difference front to back with the A3 quattro system then you should replace all four so the Haldex isn't being abused and running when it's not actually required.

Daggerit, notice you are in Aberdeen too. Who do you recommend round here for tyres?

I don't know but I was told by the lads that do the tyre changing for Audi near where I live that if there is a 1mm difference front to back with the A3 quattro system then you should replace all four so the Haldex isn't being abused and running when it's not actually required.

Sounds like a nice little earner for them. "Yeah guv, you'll need 4 new tyres rather the 1 you came in for".

So after a phone call or two to the dealer, the end result...two new tyres on the back (same Bridgestones) courtesy of the dealer, who also collected and dropped off at work. Only complaint was getting a wee VW Up courtesy car after requesting a larger car! So I've got some extra pennies for a beer or two :beerchug: thanks for your advice! Will hopefully get the car cleaned at the weekend after ordering a bunch of Dodo Juice products and post a few photos.

Sounds like a nice little earner for them. "Yeah guv, you'll need 4 new tyres rather the 1 you came in for".

I imagine they say that while relentlessly pounding your ****.

Unless you're driving at the limits of grip, I can't imagine the Haldex being affected at all really... I'm going to be swapping my fronts before my rears, at least according to current wear rates, and I won't be letting the tyre fitters spit-roast me in the process :D

Reactions: autolatry

Not really because I was on the Audi complete package so they were essentially paying for them on that occasion. Putting two on would've saved them spending as much money, hence the reason I believe it.

The reason I looked at the tyres and took it in originally was because I could feel like the FWD was coming on and off which is apparently a symptom...