Monster MotorsportVolks Autos
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NHN

Thread: Can auto stop start be retrofitted?

3rd Gear

Status

Can auto stop start be retrofitted?

Just a thought - is auto stop start something that could be activated with vagcom and a heavy duty battery and interior switches? Or is it something big that would cost so much it's cheaper to keep burning fuel in traffic?

I ask because my friend has just bought an A5 with a DSG gearbox and he has stop start.

Thanks
    S3 Sportback

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    it would be a very complicated retrofit, regeneration circuitry, ECU changes to cope with it. Not something I think anyone has ever done.

2nd Gear

Status
    I was being a 13 plate M5 the other day in traffic. It had stop start. On an M5 !!! I found it quite amusing.

S.
    5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by autolatry View Post
    I was being a 13 plate M5 the other day in traffic. It had stop start. On an M5 !!! I found it quite amusing.
    s3 Ibis White ... Build Thread

/ Black Grill / FbMfSw / Sunroof / Hill Hold / Armrest / Black Leather-Alcantara interior / Rear Parking Sensors / Heated Seats / Folding Mirrors / Cruise / Rns-e mk2 // ttrs-Brembo Brakes / 12mm spacers / Forge Short + Side Shift / 42dd's / ITG CAI / GfB DV+ / Forge Catch Can / Milltek TBE / Forge Twin IC/ Autotech HpFp / H&R ARB's / WALK / KW v3's / RS4 fpr / Loba&Sachs clutch / Revo Stage 2+ / ...

4th Gear

Status
    Every car I've been driven with it fitted, I've turned it off. Nice idea in practice, but in reality it's a pita most of the time.
    TDI PD170 S-Line Sportback... 191.2bhp & 290lb/ft torque @ standard with an iffy turbo! No idea with the new one or Shark Stage 1 remap installed, DPF off Stage 1 ready to go, Suspension & wheels to be fitted... Still....

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by max69vk View Post
    Every car I've been driven with it fitted, I've turned it off. Nice idea in practice, but in reality it's a pita most of the time.
    same goes. It doesnt suit my driving style either. It'd be interesting to see how many cars have problems with this in the near future, the technology has been around for a few years now. I wana see if the life cycles of the start motors, batteries, and everything else related to start stop really lives up to what they say it does.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s8craig View Post
    it would be a very complicated retrofit, regeneration circuitry, ECU changes to cope with it.
    Couldn't agree more, I was comparing gateway modules sometime back which led me to study the start stop system & a guy who had changed his brakes & wheels, which given the start/stop is hand in hand with regen braking with abs controller involved, had a dramatic negative effect on his systems with the car shutting down midst motorway driving.

So I researched it, its a rather long winded job with wiring, gateway module is specific, which makes you wonder if anyothers require specific version, PR Codes 7L6/7L7 are the specific ones, but its wiring & relays that will cost allot to retrofit, so for me the cost of installing the systems, will far outweigh the savings over the life of the car with the specific owner IMHO.

The other thing is, even when it was disabled with dash button, it was never really disabled fully, personally I think as his car was 1 of the 1st to have the system on that chassis, it maybe had a bug, but alas he wouldn't put the time in with audi dealer to resolve his own issues he had before I even touched the car.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

3rd Gear

Status
    Cheers guys. Just as I thought
    S3 Sportback

6+1 Gears

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by autolatry View Post
    Panamera Turbo also has this system
    DSG | Vienna Leather | Bose Sound | MFSW | Interior Lights Pack | Light & Rain Sensors | Auto Dimming Mirror Mods: LED RNS-e | FL LED Tail Lights | Bi-Xenons | Illuminated Speaker Grilles | Tinted windows | Chrome Switches | Chrome Paddles&Commands | RS4 Start Button | Cruise Control | S3 Pedals | S3 Roof Spoiler | 18" BBS CH | H&R Spacers 10/15 mm | Bilstein B16 PSS10 | H&R 26/24 ARBs | TT Arms | S3 Front Brakes+DS2500+Tarox F2000 | HEL Brake Lines | VNT20 | EGR&Cooler Delete | Custom Remap

In awe of VCDS

Status
    I suppose it's just used as a way to bring down the average emissions for a manufacturer on paper.
    Now: 2010 A3 SB S-Line Black Edition 2.0TDi 140CR. Panther Black
    Retro'd: Black S-Line badges | Private Plate | Come home lights activated | Fogs as corning lights activated | Hill hold assist activated | TPMS (via VCDS) activated | 3.5" s/s tailpipe | LED interior lighting.

Gone: 2007 A3 SB Sport TDI 140. Dolphin Grey

Neutral

Status

My Social Networking

Visit S3-Iain's Instagram Channel
    they have a wierd flywheel on stop start cars aswel. that would cost a hell of alot of money to buy and fit.

Neutral

Status
    HI

I have a 2011 A3 sport backwith start stop is there anyway of turning it off permanently???

Steve

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    There are options for this within coding, but get someone who knows what they're doing to mess with this.

Neutral

Status
    HI He has his own garage which just does Audis, just wondering if some one could point him in the right direction !!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    With respect if he has he own garage solely to work on audi's, but is asking others how to do a job on an audi, then it does beg the question really doesn't it.
    Andy Crooks likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Sorry my fault he believes it cannot be done!! so i thought i would ask the question on this forum, if i could go back to him with some idea of how it can be doen he could look into it a bit more.

Short Back

Status
    Are you wanting to disable so it doesn't bother you or cripple the system forever & a day?
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

4th Gear

Status
    After being given some insight into stop start batteries, i've come to learn that the majority of new cars will come with stop start as standard and soon enough they will have no button to turn the system off. Furthermore, I've learn alot more about the systems used, theres 3 different types dependant on what else is available in the vehicle and the type of battery the vehicle comes with (AGM or EFB). So its not gonna be simple, its not gonna be cheap, and the only advice i could give is that if u really want it badly enough just buy a car with it, it'll probably work out cheaper to do that than to retrofit it.
    2006 Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line 8P2 PD170 - Dolphin Grey Metallic - The problem child
    1994 VW Golf VR6 - Mystic Blue - The money thief
    VCDS User

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Artimus View Post
    Are you wanting to disable so it doesn't bother you or cripple the system forever & a day?
    Just disable it so I don't have to push the off button every time I start it up!