Monster MotorsportChris Nott
    Neutral

Status

**Fog Lamp Bulb Problems**

Hello, for a while now Ive been driving with fog lights fitted but without bulbs and I'm getting sick of getting the warning errors on the dash every time I start the car so I need your help. These are the fog lamps I bought and fitted

audi a3 s-line fog lights spot lamps unit front clear h11 2003-2008 PAIR | eBay

They are just the bare units (no bulbs or anything) So I've fitted these and I bought a pair of H11 and H7 bulbs but neither of these fit the wiring on my car?! (At least im pretty sure they don't) My car is a 2005 A3 2.0TDI S-Line.

Can anyone help me please??

Thanks,
    Andy!

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    There are only 2 types for the 8P, these are either H7 or H11 bulbs, so you must be doing something wrong or fitted the wrong wiring/connectors.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    There are only 2 types for the 8P, these are either H7 or H11 bulbs, so you must be doing something wrong or fitted the wrong wiring/connectors.
    Thanks for your reply NHN! I'll have to have another look tomorrow evening. What wiring connectors do I need as I haven't purchased any of these? All I've bought are the fog lamps I listed above and bulbs, My car already had wiring present when I removed the from bumper.

I want your faulty electronics

Status
    Get a pic up of your wiring.
    It might help in seeing where you're going wrong?
    A4 B5 Double Din, RNS-d, TMC, Full Sports Leather Heated with Leather Door Cards and Lower Door trims all for sale.

Audrey's Build Thread
    RIP Audrey. She's being broken down.
    New Car, New Thread.
    Scott's Akoya Silver A8

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by blodderz View Post
    My car already had wiring present when I removed the from bumper.
    Really, that's strange as if they didn't have fogs beforehand then they usually don't have wiring prefitted, what's the part number on the connectors & have you got connectors in each side already dangling free?

Neutral

Status
    Really, that's strange as if they didn't have fogs beforehand then they usually don't have wiring prefitted, what's the part number on the connectors & have you got connectors in each side already dangling free?
    The car did originally come with foglamps but it had a full S3 conversion done and the front bumper came without fogs (this was all done previous to me buying it) I'll go have a look now, but yes I've got connectors on each side, but not dangling free as I taped them to the side to stop them being damaged!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Ok, did the original fogs have a flat line on the top or were they round as the new ones are now?

Neutral

Status
    Ok, did the original fogs have a flat line on the top or were they round as the new ones are now?
    I couldn't tell you as when I picked up the car it already had the S3 bumper fitted with no fogs.

Neutral

Status
    Here are 2 photos of the wiring on the car already.

4th Gear

Status
    I can't see too well but does it look as though there are any broken plastic areas around the edge of that connector? It seems to be the case that ur missing the clips that hook over the tabs on an H11(711) bulb. If they kept jiggling around im sure it'd come loose causing ur error. The rubber seals push outwards a little which would make matters worse, if it didnt clip over the tabs then u'd get the errors purely because the car wouldn't recognise any resistance from cold scanning on start up. I bet if u changed those ends it'd solve ur issues.

If you can be bothered, get some wires, put some male spade connectors on it and plug it into the two female spades on those connectors. Run the other ends of those wires to either two female spades or just wrap the bare wires around the two terminals (doesnt matter which way round) on the H7(477) bulb u have and see what happens. U may need to run the car and turn fogs on to clear the errors first. They're both 12v 55w rated bulbs, just have different connections.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidhu88 View Post
    I can't see too well but does it look as though there are any broken plastic areas around the edge of that connector? It seems to be the case that ur missing the clips that hook over the tabs on an H11(711) bulb. If they kept jiggling around im sure it'd come loose causing ur error. The rubber seals push outwards a little which would make matters worse, if it didnt clip over the tabs then u'd get the errors purely because the car wouldn't recognise any resistance from cold scanning on start up. I bet if u changed those ends it'd solve ur issues.

If you can be bothered, get some wires, put some male spade connectors on it and plug it into the two female spades on those connectors. Run the other ends of those wires to either two female spades or just wrap the bare wires around the two terminals (doesnt matter which way round) on the H7(477) bulb u have and see what happens. U may need to run the car and turn fogs on to clear the errors first. They're both 12v 55w rated bulbs, just have different connections.
    Them connectors pictured above wont fit H11 or H7 bulbs, H11 bulbs the pins are the wrong way around and H7 the pins are far too big to fit the connector.

HELP?

4th Gear

Status
    I didnt say to put the h7 pins directly to those connectors. Run some wires inbetween
    2006 Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line 8P2 PD170 - Dolphin Grey Metallic - The problem child
    1994 VW Golf VR6 - Mystic Blue - The money thief
    VCDS User

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by blodderz View Post
    Here are 2 photos of the wiring on the car already.

Those are 100% the sport fog light connectors, the lights that have the flat top edge, unlike s3/sline that are round/oval, so they are definitely for H7 bulb connectors according to the parts catalogue, so regardless, the S3 front end needs different connections & don't do a bodge or you'll be back to it again soon enough, buy the correct wires & connectors from audi & then solder, shrink wrap & tape.