Monster MotorsportChris Nott
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    61

    **Fog Lamp Bulb Problems**

    Hello, for a while now Ive been driving with fog lights fitted but without bulbs and I'm getting sick of getting the warning errors on the dash every time I start the car so I need your help. These are the fog lamps I bought and fitted

    audi a3 s-line fog lights spot lamps unit front clear h11 2003-2008 PAIR | eBay

    They are just the bare units (no bulbs or anything) So I've fitted these and I bought a pair of H11 and H7 bulbs but neither of these fit the wiring on my car?! (At least im pretty sure they don't) My car is a 2005 A3 2.0TDI S-Line.

    Can anyone help me please??

    Thanks,
    Andy!

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    26,747
    There are only 2 types for the 8P, these are either H7 or H11 bulbs, so you must be doing something wrong or fitted the wrong wiring/connectors.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  4. #3
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    There are only 2 types for the 8P, these are either H7 or H11 bulbs, so you must be doing something wrong or fitted the wrong wiring/connectors.
    Thanks for your reply NHN! I'll have to have another look tomorrow evening. What wiring connectors do I need as I haven't purchased any of these? All I've bought are the fog lamps I listed above and bulbs, My car already had wiring present when I removed the from bumper.

  5. #4
    ScottD3's Avatar
    I want your faulty electronics

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    English Riviera
    Posts
    14,656
    Get a pic up of your wiring.
    It might help in seeing where you're going wrong?
    A4 B5 Double Din, RNS-d, TMC, Full Sports Leather Heated with Leather Door Cards and Lower Door trims all for sale.

    Audrey's Build Thread
    RIP Audrey. She's being broken down.
    New Car, New Thread.
    Scott's Akoya Silver A8

  6. #5
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    26,747
    Quote Originally Posted by blodderz View Post
    My car already had wiring present when I removed the from bumper.
    Really, that's strange as if they didn't have fogs beforehand then they usually don't have wiring prefitted, what's the part number on the connectors & have you got connectors in each side already dangling free?

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  7. #6
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Really, that's strange as if they didn't have fogs beforehand then they usually don't have wiring prefitted, what's the part number on the connectors & have you got connectors in each side already dangling free?
    The car did originally come with foglamps but it had a full S3 conversion done and the front bumper came without fogs (this was all done previous to me buying it) I'll go have a look now, but yes I've got connectors on each side, but not dangling free as I taped them to the side to stop them being damaged!

  8. #7
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    26,747
    Ok, did the original fogs have a flat line on the top or were they round as the new ones are now?

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  9. #8
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Ok, did the original fogs have a flat line on the top or were they round as the new ones are now?
    I couldn't tell you as when I picked up the car it already had the S3 bumper fitted with no fogs.

  10. #9
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    61
    Here are 2 photos of the wiring on the car already.




  11. #10
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    SW London
    Posts
    751
    I can't see too well but does it look as though there are any broken plastic areas around the edge of that connector? It seems to be the case that ur missing the clips that hook over the tabs on an H11(711) bulb. If they kept jiggling around im sure it'd come loose causing ur error. The rubber seals push outwards a little which would make matters worse, if it didnt clip over the tabs then u'd get the errors purely because the car wouldn't recognise any resistance from cold scanning on start up. I bet if u changed those ends it'd solve ur issues.

    If you can be bothered, get some wires, put some male spade connectors on it and plug it into the two female spades on those connectors. Run the other ends of those wires to either two female spades or just wrap the bare wires around the two terminals (doesnt matter which way round) on the H7(477) bulb u have and see what happens. U may need to run the car and turn fogs on to clear the errors first. They're both 12v 55w rated bulbs, just have different connections.

  12. #11
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidhu88 View Post
    I can't see too well but does it look as though there are any broken plastic areas around the edge of that connector? It seems to be the case that ur missing the clips that hook over the tabs on an H11(711) bulb. If they kept jiggling around im sure it'd come loose causing ur error. The rubber seals push outwards a little which would make matters worse, if it didnt clip over the tabs then u'd get the errors purely because the car wouldn't recognise any resistance from cold scanning on start up. I bet if u changed those ends it'd solve ur issues.

    If you can be bothered, get some wires, put some male spade connectors on it and plug it into the two female spades on those connectors. Run the other ends of those wires to either two female spades or just wrap the bare wires around the two terminals (doesnt matter which way round) on the H7(477) bulb u have and see what happens. U may need to run the car and turn fogs on to clear the errors first. They're both 12v 55w rated bulbs, just have different connections.
    Them connectors pictured above wont fit H11 or H7 bulbs, H11 bulbs the pins are the wrong way around and H7 the pins are far too big to fit the connector.

    HELP?

  13. #12
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    SW London
    Posts
    751
    I didnt say to put the h7 pins directly to those connectors. Run some wires inbetween
    2006 Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line 8P2 PD170 - Dolphin Grey Metallic - The problem child
    1994 VW Golf VR6 - Mystic Blue - The money thief
    VCDS User

  14. #13
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    26,747
    Quote Originally Posted by blodderz View Post
    Here are 2 photos of the wiring on the car already.



    Those are 100% the sport fog light connectors, the lights that have the flat top edge, unlike s3/sline that are round/oval, so they are definitely for H7 bulb connectors according to the parts catalogue, so regardless, the S3 front end needs different connections & don't do a bodge or you'll be back to it again soon enough, buy the correct wires & connectors from audi & then solder, shrink wrap & tape.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. What fitment are the fog lamp bulbs?
    By AidenUK in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 9th November 2011, 11:13
  2. A3 S-Line Fog Lamp Bulb Type?
    By Hellz in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 5th April 2010, 13:02
  3. Fog lamp bulb's
    By ragsterx in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17th December 2009, 18:07
  4. what bulbs do i need for s3 fog lamps?
    By edward_harris in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 23rd January 2007, 23:27
  5. fog lamps
    By smudgy57 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 8th June 2004, 17:32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO