**Fog Lamp Bulb Problems**

blodderz

Reaction score
Hello, for a while now Ive been driving with fog lights fitted but without bulbs and I'm getting sick of getting the warning errors on the dash every time I start the car so I need your help. These are the fog lamps I bought and fitted

audi a3 s-line fog lights spot lamps unit front clear h11 2003-2008 PAIR | eBay

They are just the bare units (no bulbs or anything) So I've fitted these and I bought a pair of H11 and H7 bulbs but neither of these fit the wiring on my car?! (At least im pretty sure they don't) My car is a 2005 A3 2.0TDI S-Line.

Can anyone help me please??

Thanks,
Andy!

There are only 2 types for the 8P, these are either H7 or H11 bulbs, so you must be doing something wrong or fitted the wrong wiring/connectors.

There are only 2 types for the 8P, these are either H7 or H11 bulbs, so you must be doing something wrong or fitted the wrong wiring/connectors.

Thanks for your reply NHN! I'll have to have another look tomorrow evening. What wiring connectors do I need as I haven't purchased any of these? All I've bought are the fog lamps I listed above and bulbs, My car already had wiring present when I removed the from bumper.

My car already had wiring present when I removed the from bumper.

Really, that's strange as if they didn't have fogs beforehand then they usually don't have wiring prefitted, what's the part number on the connectors & have you got connectors in each side already dangling free?

Really, that's strange as if they didn't have fogs beforehand then they usually don't have wiring prefitted, what's the part number on the connectors & have you got connectors in each side already dangling free?

The car did originally come with foglamps but it had a full S3 conversion done and the front bumper came without fogs (this was all done previous to me buying it) I'll go have a look now, but yes I've got connectors on each side, but not dangling free as I taped them to the side to stop them being damaged!

Ok, did the original fogs have a flat line on the top or were they round as the new ones are now?

Ok, did the original fogs have a flat line on the top or were they round as the new ones are now?

I couldn't tell you as when I picked up the car it already had the S3 bumper fitted with no fogs.

Here are 2 photos of the wiring on the car already.

fnz19h.jpg

2ujm61d.jpg

I can't see too well but does it look as though there are any broken plastic areas around the edge of that connector? It seems to be the case that ur missing the clips that hook over the tabs on an H11(711) bulb. If they kept jiggling around im sure it'd come loose causing ur error. The rubber seals push outwards a little which would make matters worse, if it didnt clip over the tabs then u'd get the errors purely because the car wouldn't recognise any resistance from cold scanning on start up. I bet if u changed those ends it'd solve ur issues.

If you can be bothered, get some wires, put some male spade connectors on it and plug it into the two female spades on those connectors. Run the other ends of those wires to either two female spades or just wrap the bare wires around the two terminals (doesnt matter which way round) on the H7(477) bulb u have and see what happens. U may need to run the car and turn fogs on to clear the errors first. They're both 12v 55w rated bulbs, just have different connections.

I can't see too well but does it look as though there are any broken plastic areas around the edge of that connector? It seems to be the case that ur missing the clips that hook over the tabs on an H11(711) bulb. If they kept jiggling around im sure it'd come loose causing ur error. The rubber seals push outwards a little which would make matters worse, if it didnt clip over the tabs then u'd get the errors purely because the car wouldn't recognise any resistance from cold scanning on start up. I bet if u changed those ends it'd solve ur issues.

If you can be bothered, get some wires, put some male spade connectors on it and plug it into the two female spades on those connectors. Run the other ends of those wires to either two female spades or just wrap the bare wires around the two terminals (doesnt matter which way round) on the H7(477) bulb u have and see what happens. U may need to run the car and turn fogs on to clear the errors first. They're both 12v 55w rated bulbs, just have different connections.

Them connectors pictured above wont fit H11 or H7 bulbs, H11 bulbs the pins are the wrong way around and H7 the pins are far too big to fit the connector.

HELP?

I didnt say to put the h7 pins directly to those connectors. Run some wires inbetween

Here are 2 photos of the wiring on the car already.

fnz19h.jpg

2ujm61d.jpg

Those are 100% the sport fog light connectors, the lights that have the flat top edge, unlike s3/sline that are round/oval, so they are definitely for H7 bulb connectors according to the parts catalogue, so regardless, the S3 front end needs different connections & don't do a bodge or you'll be back to it again soon enough, buy the correct wires & connectors from audi & then solder, shrink wrap & tape.