Which Oil.... AGAIN...

wanton

Reaction score
Ok so I have read lots on the forum regarding which oil is best for an A3 2.0TDI 170. Some are saying 5w30 and some are saying 5w40. I have come down to two choices either the Shell Helix Ultra Extra 05w30 or what seems to be a new oil, Shell Helix Diesel Ultra 05w40. The diesel branded oil has various comments on cleaning the engine of soot and reducing sludge ect. I cant find any info on this forum regarding the diesel oil either. Has anyone had any experience with this Shell diesel oil? I presume the engine will also be quieter on 05w40? Can anyone say why one oil would be better than the other and for what reasons? My car has done 62000 its been on long life services but I intend to do a yearly service. I cover 10-12k a year but 90% of it is town driving.

Cheers.

Or Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5w30.
Not sure about the Shell Helix Diesel Ultra 5w40

As above, Edge 5w30 is the one to use.

Castrol edge 5w30 for 5lts of this oil is between £37 t0 £45.I took my 1.9TDIe along to National tyres and got the whole job done for £35 with a £5 off token and they used Castrol edge 5W30 and fitted an Oil filter all for £35.Could not believe it. Go on the National tyre Web Site and put your Registration in the box. A pop up comes on screen recommending which oil is recommended for your car plus the price.
It is an on line price. Price also includes an oil filter So worth a try.
Cheers

I buy it when it's on a deal, bought 2 monday for the bank holiday price cut at eurocarparts, 29.99 each.

£35 for oil, filter, sump plug & the change, damn that's cheap.